BSS

E39 540i/6 Sport touring

Its unusual for me to keep a car long enough to bother with a build thread other than an E34 M5 i once had and the E30's i currently own but i think that i will keep this 540i  (my 7th E39) for a while so here we go!

By pure chance or luck depending on how you look at it, the previous owner turned up at my workshop one day to ask me to look at something on the car and mentioned they may want to sell. I assumed it was an auto so when it turned out to be a manual my ears pricked up as i knew that facelift 540i Sport tourings are not that common and manual ones quite rare. Ive tried contacting BMW customer services to find out how many were sold new here but have drawn a blank.. maybe i just got someone who couldn't be bothered. According to howmanyleft.co.uk they peaked at 12 with only 6 remaining. How accurate that is i dont know as that site can be hit miss.

44595110842_c342735a93_z_d.jpg

44644726391_0324b24720_z_d.jpg

29706547267_72827b8a31_z_d.jpg

So here it is, 2001 titan silver with black, very common colour combo and one i keep ending up with (2x prev E46's and 2x prev E39's) but at least its not grey inside.

VIN WBADR52040BH99030

Type Code DR52

E Series E39 (2)

Series 5

Type TOUR

Model 540I TOURING (EUR)

Steering RL

Doors 5

Engine M62/TU

Displacement 4.40

Power 210

Drive HECK

Transmission MECH

Colour TITANSILBER METALLIC (354)

Upholstery STANDARDLEDER/SCHWARZ (N6SW)

Prod. Date 2001-08-29

L812ANational version Great Britain

P337AM Sports package

S210ADynamic stability control

S220ASelf-levelling suspension

S227ASport suspension+lowered+ride-height

S249AMultifunction f steering wheel

S302AAlarm system

S386ARoof railing

S403AGlass roof, electrical

S428AWarning triangle and first aid kit

S431AInterior mirror with automatic-dip

S434AInterior surface aluminium

S441ASmoker package

S459ASeat adjuster, electric, with memory

S473AArmrest front

S481ASports seat

S500AHeadlight wipe/wash/Intensive cleaning

S508APark Distance Control (PDC)

S520AFog lights

S522AXenon Light

S534AAutomatic air conditioning

S555AOn-board computer V with remote control

S602AOn-board monitor with TV

S609ANavigation system Professional

S632APreparation BMW Handy (Motorola)

S672ACD changer for 6 CDs

S694AProvisions for BMW 6 CD changer

S710AM sports steering wheel, multifunction

S715AM Aerodynamics package

S760AHigh gloss shadow line

S775AHeadlining anthracite

S785AWhite direction indicator lights

S788ABMW LA wheel, Individual

S850ADummy-SALAPA

S853ALanguage version English

S863ARetailer Directory Europe

S877ADelete cross-pattern operation

S880AOn-board vehicle literature English

Not a bad spec out of the box, it was a BMW staff car originally so someone got to choose an interesting company car. 2 owners after that which have been local to where i live, the last having spend money on some of the usual E39 issues, new timing chains, new clutch and flywheel, various suspension arms and cooling system parts have kept it in reasonable heath.

44644725371_3e6d2da882_z_d.jpg

First thing to do was replace the tyres are they were finished on the original style 66's so an ebay purchase of a set of staggered style 37's with michelin pilot tyres helped with the looks and sorted the need for tyres.

43925921254_c77e2246b2_z_d.jpg

The original sachs made M sport suspension was past its best so some Bilstein B8 front and Bilstein B6 rear shocks with some eibach pro kit front springs along with some new genuine BMW top mounts have transformed the ride and handling. I know some people replace the SLS rear suspension with a coil spring and shock set up but i wanted to retain the SLS for load carrying.

Plenty more in the pipe line such as some retrofits and some eibach roll bars are on order.

wow.gif

Kanye%20Klap_zpshrwnawoi.gif

clap-3.gif

Excellent pickup for the manual 6spd and facelift too ! Look forward to the updates and the car's maintenance and retrofits that you do :)

I will be in touch shortly with you to discuss a few aspects.

Cheers, Dennis!

I'm not sure how many E39 540i/6 Tourings were made, probably a similar number to the 62 rhd E34 540i/6 Touring's, but they are certainly rare and desirable beasts and its good to see one getting the necessary investment on the timing chains and guides, and a suspension refresh as well. 

Hope it serves you long and well OP.

On 9/13/2018 at 8:53 AM, sharkfan said:

I'm not sure how many E39 540i/6 Tourings were made, probably a similar number to the 62 rhd E34 540i/6 Touring's, but they are certainly rare and desirable beasts and its good to see one getting the necessary investment on the timing chains and guides, and a suspension refresh as well. 

Hope it serves you long and well OP.

Thanks Kevin. Its starting to suffer from some of the other age related E39 issues such as rusty rear jacking points and rusty brake pipes which will be tackled once my M3 is finished at the bodyshop and i can swap them over.

Have you still got your E39 B10 or did some one take it on and repair the engine?

50 minutes ago, sayanthan said:

M5 touring conversion....has to be done.

You know this was one of the first things that crossed my mind as its something I've fancied doing for some years now and seeing as the one off made by BMW for the then head of ///M Gerhard Richter was titan silver, this 540i made it a very suitable candidate but the realisation of how rare it is made me think other wise.

I was a hard decision to restrain myself from doing said conversion after selling my E46 M3 330i touring earlier this year!

Edited by BSS

There is a very well documented right hand drive E39 540i Touring to M5 Touring thread on the E39 section of the m5board forums if you need inspiration...

P.S. It really is a lot of work to do it properly and apparently telling an E39 M5 ECU set that it is not a Saloon and is now a Touring is quite tricky too.

Building an E39 M5 touring doesnt phase me in the slightest, i fact i'd love to do it but running a business and being up to my eyeballs in an E30 M3 restoration means theres no chance of it happening any time soon.

That and half the E39 community would be up in arms for molesting a 540i/6 lol!

Heres a link to the E46 M3 touring i built last year in my old workshop.

http://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/showthread.php?t=187616