amebb

Btw e39 525i cuts out....

Hi there,

I need some help with my wife's car. She has a bmw e39 525i manual.

The car starts ok.... and when your driving it just cuts out. Sometimes I can restart the car straight away other times I can wait upto 20mins before I can restart it again.

I have checked spark plugs, they are ok. Camshaft sensor is ok too.

I cannot read the error codes. For some strange reason none of my obdii devices connect to the car system.

Has anyone got any clues as to what I can check or do to fix this matter?

Thank you 

What year is it? Could be your OBD reader needs to connect to the under bonnet connection (if it has that pin connection) rather than the OBD port in the car itself

Check the air intake boot from MAF back to TB; the ridged area can split, but its hard to see these as they're hidden between the ridges

I'd also consider cam and crank sensors again. It might look ok; but still failing/or has failed

Does the car prime when you turn the ignition on, but engine not running? The fuel system could be at fault here too, so check that through 

But you do need to get the codes read; I'm sure a local Indy could help with this for beer £££

Hi there.... 

Thank you for your reply.

The year of the car is 1997.  I checked the maf section and nothing is damaged there.

The camshaft sensor is working but if will recheck that sensor again. At the same time I will check the crank shaft sensor too.

Now, the round connector I have under the bonnet is what I use to connect to the car for diagnostics. On my diagnostics devices I am getting power etc but nothing else. I have checked the fuses and they are all fine. But, once again, I will recheck later.

Will keep you all updated

Thanks

36 minutes ago, amebb said:

I am not able to get codes on my tester. There is an issue with the odb port I think

Does anyone you know have a similar one you could try, just to rule out your reader or the port etc?

I have a new crank shaft sensor that I can try.

I will check the resistances for both the cam shaft and crank shaft sensors and update you on this.

I am just waiting to do tjis after the school run... lol 

I think you need an oscilloscope to test the crankshaft sensor because of the magnetic puck up etc etc.... on the camshaft it is a straight resistance test.... I think I'm right...? Hope so lol

22 minutes ago, amebb said:

I think you need an oscilloscope to test the crankshaft sensor because of the magnetic puck up etc etc.... on the camshaft it is a straight resistance test.... I think I'm right...? Hope so lol

I have spare camshaft sensors but i believe they are different ones as they are from a 530i.

Did you try running the car with the maf disconnected?

Pretty sure the cam and crank sensors are the same part. 

Maf faults tend to cause flat performance. In plugging goes to a safe default and runs better. Generally a failed maf doesn't cause the no start op describes. 

Duncan-uk, the connectors on both are 3 pins but physically, the plugs are different....  

I accidently purchased a crank shaft sensor a few week ago. My car was find then... now, it's going to come in handy. 

Thanks

You say it is a 525i which implies facelift, ie post 2000, yet you say it's a 1997 car.

Or is it a Japan import as I think these were marketed as 525i in Japan but 523i in Europe

If it's really a 1997 it's possible that it has a ADS interface which I think needs a different interface cable. I know when I had my 2002 530i my modified vag.com cable worked fine yet definitely wouldnt work on a friends 1996 car.

I have a slight issue here now, where I am trying to locate and change the crankshaft sensor.

If you look at the realoem.com website the location of the send or is under the starter motor. 

Also, that's what it states in the Bentley book is that the sensor is under the starter motor.

The issue is I have jacked up my car and searched under the starter motor... there is no sensor at all. Is there another location where the sensor may be...? 

My engine is a M52, p reg (1997).  

Any help much appreciated.

Thank you

3 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

This any use to you?

Thank you do much for your clip. 

I can't understand why my crank sensor is not whete it should be? It's documented being under the starter motor or near it.... on my engine it's not there! Weird or what.

Now, what if there was no issue with the crank sensor? I mean, the car starts fine. I have no issue starting the car. It's when I drive it for, let's say 10 mins or so it then causes issues, like engine cutting out.

Someone may suggest the fuel pump or blocked fuel filter..... but the car can then restart. Sometimes restarting can be a ball ache but it can restart.... eventually .

So, this issue is very confusing to say the least.

Now, someone did say if you overfill the oil it can can issues etc..... I did have a little too much oil.... but nothing seriously too much.... 

But any ideas appreciated.

Thank you 

Just done the crank sensor on my 523i 1997 m52 auto

The Crank sensor is at the front, remove the fan and shroud and you should be able to see it above the toothed crank wheel.

I managed to get to the connector for the loom by removing the oil filter lid and jamming my arm in under the inlet manifold, cable tying it back to the loom was a bit of an arse to do though...

Got a feeling I had to loosen a couple of hoses etc but it wasn't too bad a job. £123ish quid for a genuine Crank sensor from BMW.  

Hmm,

When my crank sensor died it did so over say a week, I noticed some hesitation day 1, then more and more so, then starting issues and missfiring until it just wouldn't start.

Try priming the fuel systems a few times before trying to start the car, see if that helps...

Think rationally, have you just filled the oil up or noticed a massive leak? - if not then probably not oil.

Has the Crank sensor ever been replaced do you know?

What mileage is the car on?

Has the fuel filter ever been replaced?

Does it start messing about when the engine is hot only...

1 hour ago, Big Gaz (1) said:

Think rationally, have you just filled the oil up or noticed a massive leak? - if not then probably not oil.

Has the Crank sensor ever been replaced do you know?

What mileage is the car on?

Has the fuel filter ever been replaced?

Does it start messing about when the engine is hot only...

Thank you so much for your reply.....

Tomorrow I will check the sensor etc  I personally think the issue is some thing else but I need to check somewhere.

As far as I am aware the crankshaft sensor has not been changed.

The milleage on the car is about 170k..... and the fuel filter has been changed previously.

Thanks

How do you propose to test the sensor? Even if you have an oscilloscope (as said don't think a multimeter will do) it seems the issue is heat related also. So may not display a fault. 

These sensors are likely culprits forbthebstmptoma you have. If running fine otherwise I'd suggest it's not a fuel filter or oil related.