Jump to content
CFD

Hoping to order soon, what options might I have missed?

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Boba said:

It's a lot more than the (fairly common) auto dipping TBH. Outstanding on dark bendy roads with intermittent oncoming traffic. The lights manage to get about the best illumination possible without dazzling. Possibly less useful on straight motorways admittedly (none round here though).

Yes, they are a revelation 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 1stBimmer said:

Maybe I'm just tight but can anyone tell me why the Harmon Kardon is worth the money? I like music but wow what a cost (no I didn't order it)

 

It’s not, it’s just louder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 1stBimmer said:

Maybe I'm just tight but can anyone tell me why the Harmon Kardon is worth the money? I like music but wow what a cost (no I didn't order it)

Work ever penny if you like music. Yes it pushes out a few more decibels but the quality improvement is way way better. Takes a while to bed in and the settings need playing with but great bit of kit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

9 hours ago, BacktoBeemer said:

Work ever penny if you like music. Yes it pushes out a few more decibels but the quality improvement is way way better. Takes a while to bed in and the settings need playing with but great bit of kit. 

But the standard system is perfectly 'adequate' if you just enjoy a bit of music or radio in the car. Impossible to help with this as only the individual can decide if it's worth their money. Personally I wouldn't contemplate it, but I understand those who do...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, BacktoBeemer said:

Work ever penny if you like music. Yes it pushes out a few more decibels but the quality improvement is way way better. Takes a while to bed in and the settings need playing with but great bit of kit. 

Very dependent on your music tastes and the quality of your earholes;) . I'm quite a HiFi buff with north of £30k setup at home and although the HK system is noticeably better than standard, HiFi it's certainly not, and that's even with my ageing hearing; so to me it's just not worthwhile and standard is OK for the car. Absolutely a personal choice and it certainly allows you to bend the frequency response miles out of shape if that's your thing - try before you buy!

Edited by Boba

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, 1stBimmer said:

Maybe I'm just tight but can anyone tell me why the Harmon Kardon is worth the money? I like music but wow what a cost (no I didn't order it)

 

Taken as part of the m sport package, personally I think it’s worth over the standard system. Takes some setting up, but once done I think the sound is perfectly adequate. Needs a bit of volume to shine, but definitely an improvement. I do love my high end Hifi and have probably spent far too much on such equipment, but I do love music and it is an integral part of my life, so for me I’d always say improve on the standard setup. It’s also very relevant to what you are used to listening to as to how you gauge the HK system. I personally accept there is always going to be some shortcomings of Any in car system over what can be achieved at home, so with this in mind I still think it’s worth the extra.  Also worth noting the drivers do take a bit of loosening up for the full sound to emerge, so consider that when demoing a brand new system. 

Edited by TK421

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't read all of the replies, so apologies for any duplications:

 

favourites:

Visibility pack. Icon adaptive lights are great, highbeam assist seems to work flawlessly.

HUD is great, really useful especially the nav integration.

Sun protection glass, keeps the boys happy in the back when it's sunny, stops scrotes from peering in.

Heated steering wheel.

Comfort package. I know a lot of people shy away from this for security reasons, but I find it useful. I think more so because mine's an estate.

 

dislikes:

Park assistant plus. The reversing camera is a must, but all the rest just drives me insane. 50% of the features are turned off in my car as they don't work properly for me. The incessant bonging, beeping, green lights, amber flashing, red flashing, etc. is very distracting! Did I mention that this is all coming at you from different speakers in the car? Maybe I don't play enough computer games? If I did maybe I'd be more used to the constant barrage of noise and flashing lights? The 360º birds eye view is fun for, oh about a day. Remote viewing has been used once or twice and then never again.

Driver assistant. Most of this I really don't like, some bits are useful, I just can't think of any off the top of my head.

 

 

Love the engine (530d), gearbox and handling and suspect that with this car it really is "less is more" and you only "need" one or two options.

 

The spotify integration is OKish, but the BMW system sucks if you like listening to podcasts. If you are an iphone user, I'd definitely check out the Apple Play option. My dealer told me that it was rubbish and that they didn't have a demonstrator with it. I think that *probably* was a mistake on my part (not insisting on seeing it myself) as it's a "factory only" option and can't be retro-fitted.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find the active cruise or whatever it's called is brilliant for my slow commutes on the M27. Also particularly easy to control and monitor through the HUD. Occasionally I have the car steer itself, but that is only really useful in stop start traffic at low speed. If you consider these things all as assistants only, I think they work well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lol64 said:

I haven't read all of the replies, so apologies for any duplications:

 

favourites:

Visibility pack. Icon adaptive lights are great, highbeam assist seems to work flawlessly.

HUD is great, really useful especially the nav integration.

Sun protection glass, keeps the boys happy in the back when it's sunny, stops scrotes from peering in.

Heated steering wheel.

Comfort package. I know a lot of people shy away from this for security reasons, but I find it useful. I think more so because mine's an estate.

 

dislikes:

Park assistant plus. The reversing camera is a must, but all the rest just drives me insane. 50% of the features are turned off in my car as they don't work properly for me. The incessant bonging, beeping, green lights, amber flashing, red flashing, etc. is very distracting! Did I mention that this is all coming at you from different speakers in the car? Maybe I don't play enough computer games? If I did maybe I'd be more used to the constant barrage of noise and flashing lights? The 360º birds eye view is fun for, oh about a day. Remote viewing has been used once or twice and then never again.

Driver assistant. Most of this I really don't like, some bits are useful, I just can't think of any off the top of my head.

 

 

Love the engine (530d), gearbox and handling and suspect that with this car it really is "less is more" and you only "need" one or two options.

 

The spotify integration is OKish, but the BMW system sucks if you like listening to podcasts. If you are an iphone user, I'd definitely check out the Apple Play option. My dealer told me that it was rubbish and that they didn't have a demonstrator with it. I think that *probably* was a mistake on my part (not insisting on seeing it myself) as it's a "factory only" option and can't be retro-fitted.

 

 

Pretty sure I read a thread on here where someone got apple play retrofitted via USB.

Edited by Johnyboy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Monkeyfinger said:

I find the active cruise or whatever it's called is brilliant for my slow commutes on the M27. Also particularly easy to control and monitor through the HUD. Occasionally I have the car steer itself, but that is only really useful in stop start traffic at low speed. If you consider these things all as assistants only, I think they work well.

+1+1 :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2018 at 1:12 PM, Back2Beemer said:

@CFD see attached mate. Sorry I completely forgot to do last night but at least you can see the setup of the lights.

3660F16C-F4A8-44F3-A612-129E6C314991.jpeg

8E01D45D-EE38-4E9A-BF66-05EA90119FD2.jpeg

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/11/2018 at 8:11 PM, 1stBimmer said:

Maybe I'm just tight but can anyone tell me why the Harmon Kardon is worth the money? I like music but wow what a cost (no I didn't order it)

Might be coming at this a bit late but ive had the Pro Hifi(logic7/dirac) system and Harman Kardon system in f10s previously, the HK wasn't quite as good but once run in sounded great. The standard g30 system makes my ears hurt for the wrong reasons, its so heavily tweaked to push the mid range to compensate for lack of tweeters that ive found it hard to listen to anything musical. Radio 4 is fine but I'd go for bmw advanced speakers as a minimum if you enjoy listening to anything for long trips.

My g31 is going to be receiving a few choice upgrades in this department when possible. Werent any HK equipped cars in the right used price bracket and having modified previous e39s and e60s i know its fairly painless to upgrade a few key components if required. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×