CFD

Hoping to order soon, what options might I have missed?

Like a few others on here, i'm jumping on the 530e bandwagon soon.

I'm planning the following options:

- Split folding rear seats (Cannot understand why these are not standard)

- M Sport because I dislike the SE look (Sorry SE owners!)

- Electric front seats with memory

- Folding mirrors with anti dazzle
- Sun Protection Glass

- HK stereo

I do ~25-30k miles per year, so want to make sure I don't miss anything obvious!

I'm coming from a 4er, which is basically the same spec options wise.

What might I be missing? Does anyone regret not adding anything to their build?

Cheers chaps.

There have been numerous threads along these lines - and everyone has their favourites. Based on your fairly high mileage, I'd seriously consider the HUD. I'd always thought that it was an expensive, frivolous extra, but my wife got it on her car (not a BMW) and I became a convert. The BMW version is IMHO the best HUD in the business. You'd use it on every trip and I use the navigation on it over the central map most of the time. Go to your local dealer and get him to find you a car on the lot that has it installed and take a look first hand.

YMMV.

If you go for the Electric front seats with memory, I'd go with the comfort seats where this is included.

At 25-30k miles/yr you may also enjoy the adaptive cruise control.

not sure if the 530e is the ideal choice for that kind of mileage, but I'm sure you've done the math and it works out best for you in some way.

53 minutes ago, Hybrid5 said:

If you go for the Electric front seats with memory, I'd go with the comfort seats where this is included.

not sure if the 530e is the ideal choice for that kind of mileage, but I'm sure you've done the math and it works out best for you in some way.

Company car, so it's for BIK purposes more than anything else. Given the choice I'd go for a 530d, but it's a LOT more expensive. Oh and thanks for your input. ACC seems popular

Edited by CFD

2 hours ago, Hybrid5 said:

Don't forget to add Lumbar support to the electric front seat as it does not come with electric front seats as standard  

32 minutes ago, Babaikram said:

Don't forget to add Lumbar support to the electric front seat as it does not come with electric front seats as standard  

+1 for that especially with your mileages. Ridiculous to consider seats as 'comfort'able without adjustable lumbar support. Makes all the difference IMHO.

Much night driving? Could consider Icon Adaptive Lights.

Edited by Boba

As above, I like ACC and comfort seats.  Not that they would be my first change.  I'd make sure I had a heated steering wheel for the relatively low cost.

18 hours ago, CFD said:

Like a few others on here, i'm jumping on the 530e bandwagon soon.

I'm planning the following options:

- Split folding rear seats (Cannot understand why these are not standard)

- M Sport because I dislike the SE look (Sorry SE owners!)

- Electric front seats with memory

- Folding mirrors with anti dazzle
- Sun Protection Glass

- HK stereo

I do ~25-30k miles per year, so want to make sure I don't miss anything obvious!

I'm coming from a 4er, which is basically the same spec options wise.

What might I be missing? Does anyone regret not adding anything to their build?

Cheers chaps.

Agree with the folding rear seats, HK stereo.  Remember that on the G30 (unlike the F10) the folding mirrors with anti-dazzle only have anti-dazzle on the driver's side and the passenger side mirror only folds down in reverse if you have Comfort Seats specified.  I learned this when I placed my factory order recently for a 2019 model.  I find cars get just as hot in the sun with or without sun protection glass.

As mentioned elsewhere, and as a 20k+miles a year driver myself, lumbar support is a good add, as is HUD, which is excellent.  Memory seats worth it if you have more than 1 driver (I don't).  

Consider colours which hide the dirt well (mid-greys are about the best) and wheel designs which are easy to clean if you do it yourself.  BMW pads generate quite a bit of dust.

I am one of the few who prefers the SE over M Sport, mainly because I don't like the coal-hole black roof lining and the narrowness of the M Sport seats and the difficult to clean wheels.  I'm not too bothered about the external styling as I spend more time inside the car than I do staring at it from the outside.  Each to their own....

Edited by Johnny Grabble

G30 SE are actually nice looking if not on Alpine white IMHO. However Alpine White G30 M Sport with performance grille, 20 inch black contrasting wheels and subtle M Sport spoiler looks very sexy, sporty and untouchable. Other colours make the car look luxurious. Just personal opinions 

5 hours ago, Johnny Grabble said:

Agree with the folding rear seats, HK stereo.  Remember that on the G30 (unlike the F10) the folding mirrors with anti-dazzle only have anti-dazzle on the driver's side and the passenger side mirror only folds down in reverse if you have Comfort Seats specified.  I learned this when I placed my factory order recently for a 2019 model.  I find cars get just as hot in the sun with or without sun protection glass.

As mentioned elsewhere, and as a 20k+miles a year driver myself, lumbar support is a good add, as is HUD, which is excellent.  Memory seats worth it if you have more than 1 driver (I don't).  

Consider colours which hide the dirt well (mid-greys are about the best) and wheel designs which are easy to clean if you do it yourself.  BMW pads generate quite a bit of dust.

I am one of the few who prefers the SE over M Sport, mainly because I don't like the coal-hole black roof lining and the narrowness of the M Sport seats and the difficult to clean wheels.  I'm not too bothered about the external styling as I spend more time inside the car than I do staring at it from the outside.  Each to their own....

Cheers for the input, ACC and lumbar support both seem sensible.

I drive a F32 at the moment and the mirrors dip in reverse, and are anti dazzle across the board. Why do BMW go backwards on these things?! Ontop of that, why would it be linked to comfort seats? I'm sure there is some Bavarian sense there somewhere. I was thinking about the Sophisto Grey (Whatever that colour name is). 

I have Sophisto Grey - I like it. When clean (pretty rare ;-)) and sunny it's almost dark blue/purple.

I'd agree with the HUD - its generally pretty good. But as before, check previous threads. If you spec just the HUD (as opposed to the considerably more expensive package that includes it), it removes the speed limit info not just from the HUD but also the main map. Given your mileage, I'm guessing you go to places you're less familiar with and so maybe something that irritates you. Like it does me!

Given the car is approximately 4 miles long, surprised no one has suggested the reversing camera. I'm actually debating the 360 system next time, given some of the very tight car parks I have to go to occasionally for work.

5 minutes ago, G Whizz said:

Given the car is approximately 4 miles long, surprised no one has suggested the reversing camera. I'm actually debating the 360 system next time, given some of the very tight car parks I have to go to occasionally for work.

I've got the much smaller 2017 model which has s just a little under 5 metres but even then I find its a lot easier to reverse on the camera than the mirrors in tightish spaces. I should think with a 4 mile long car it's damn near essential :lol: .

27 minutes ago, G Whizz said:

I have Sophisto Grey - I like it. When clean (pretty rare ;-)) and sunny it's almost dark blue/purple.

I'd agree with the HUD - its generally pretty good. But as before, check previous threads. If you spec just the HUD (as opposed to the considerably more expensive package that includes it), it removes the speed limit info not just from the HUD but also the main map. Given your mileage, I'm guessing you go to places you're less familiar with and so maybe something that irritates you. Like it does me!

They really seem to be doing some crazy things with the options. Adding the HUD should not remove anything from the behaviour of the rest of the system. How silly.

I've seen the hud in the last gen model and whilst it was 'cool' and quite useful, for me it's not essential. My F32 doesn't have speed limit display, but i'm not sure which pack/option that comes with on the G30/1 to be honest, and don't really want to get it coded on.

I've ordered and have an October delivery promised.  I'm also coming form a 4 - but the GC version.

Here's what I've added:

Comfort Pack
Park assist plus
Technology pack
Harman Kardon
Sunroof
Sun prot glass
Heated Sterr wheel
Driving assistant
Headlight wash
Car play
Online entertainment

The only thing I wish I’d spec’d (but again company car so wanted to keep costs to a minimum) was ICON adaptive LED headlights.

The standard lights are ok, but the high beam is utter crap. The Xenons on my 2 series loaner were better. 

All I added to mine was:

Electric lumbar support (how this isn’t standard is ridiculous).

Harman Kardon.

17 hours ago, TheDarkLord said:

I've ordered and have an October delivery promised.  I'm also coming form a 4 - but the GC version.

Here's what I've added:

Comfort Pack
Park assist plus
Technology pack
Harman Kardon
Sunroof
Sun prot glass
Heated Sterr wheel
Driving assistant
Headlight wash
Car play
Online entertainment

Another 4er - Hi! I have to keep costs under control a bit, so adding a few packs is probably not realistic of me. Looks like a decent list though.

16 hours ago, Back2Beemer said:

The only thing I wish I’d spec’d (but again company car so wanted to keep costs to a minimum) was ICON adaptive LED headlights.

The standard lights are ok, but the high beam is utter crap. The Xenons on my 2 series loaner were better. 

All I added to mine was:

Electric lumbar support (how this isn’t standard is ridiculous).

Harman Kardon.

I have had a concern that the standard LED lights are not upto scratch - my 4er has the xenons with the old angel eyes which look great and work really well. I'll consider trying to squeeze the adaptives in. Lots of people have said the ICONS are worth going for.

Thank you both for your insight

I've got standard LEDs on mine and they're absolutely fine, leagues better than the adaptive xenon on my e60.

The icon lights are meant to be incredible from what people say, I probably should have tried them before ordering but I didn't even bother with a test drive as I knew another 5 series would be fine.

8 minutes ago, Johnyboy said:

I've got standard LEDs on mine and they're absolutely fine, leagues better than the adaptive xenon on my e60.

The icon lights are meant to be incredible from what people say, I probably should have tried them before ordering but I didn't even bother with a test drive as I knew another 5 series would be fine.

Full adaptive LED are awesome - I keep on auto setting and it's fascinating to see the beam pattern adapt around oncoming vehicles and sweep around corners. Seriously consider if you like a fast nightime drive. I've never been flashed by oncoming traffic, so I assume they are not too irritating to both others.

10 minutes ago, Monkeyfinger said:

Full adaptive LED are awesome - I keep on auto setting and it's fascinating to see the beam pattern adapt around oncoming vehicles and sweep around corners. Seriously consider if you like a fast nightime drive. I've never been flashed by oncoming traffic, so I assume they are not too irritating to both others.

A mate of mine has the Matrix LED adaptive setup on his merc, and it does the same thing. Difficult to describe but it draws a box around oncoming traffic & cars you are following - really decent.

22 minutes ago, Johnyboy said:

Good to hear you believe the standard LED's are okay.

Does anyone have any photos from the front of the standard LED's at nighttime? If it's anything like the LED's in the 3, they don't look very good at all?

2 hours ago, CFD said:

A mate of mine has the Matrix LED adaptive setup on his merc, and it does the same thing. Difficult to describe but it draws a box around oncoming traffic & cars you are following - really decent.

Good to hear you believe the standard LED's are okay.

Does anyone have any photos from the front of the standard LED's at nighttime? If it's anything like the LED's in the 3, they don't look very good at all?

They look really good to be fair - just got the “angel eye” LED daytime lights, and the main light is behind projectors, so looks better than the 3 I think. If I remember later I’ll try and take a snap for you. 

11 minutes ago, Back2Beemer said:

They look really good to be fair - just got the “angel eye” LED daytime lights, and the main light is behind projectors, so looks better than the 3 I think. If I remember later I’ll try and take a snap for you. 

Legend. Would be much appreciated. I'm not that bothered about the auto dipping/full beams, though I agree it's a nice thing to have - I have to convince someone it's worth £1400 (or whatever the icons cost)

It's a lot more than the (fairly common) auto dipping TBH. Outstanding on dark bendy roads with intermittent oncoming traffic. The lights manage to get about the best illumination possible without dazzling. Possibly less useful on straight motorways admittedly (none round here though).