I have this "BMW Mobility Kit" which includes the compressor and tyre gel. I'm going to be going back to run-flats soon so i can sell it to you if you want, the gel expires in Dec 2018 though so that will need replacing. whether it really goes off by then i dont know

Edited by IINexusII

It's been discussed a number of times and as someone who is probably going to switch away from RF's I'm still weighing up the pros and cons.

If you are switching then you need sealant and compressor, or a can that does both in one. Make sure the sealant is TPMS safe and water soluble so can be cleaned out easily at the tyre fitter.  You may also want to get a plug kit which can seal holes the sealant may not. Obviously if it is a sidewall then game over and roadside rescue time.

Another option is to buy a spacesaver kit and jack on ebay, but there goes your boot space.

I used my Conti Comfort kit on my run flat the other week when it punctured. It was largely useless and blocked the valve up after only getting 1 bar of pressure into the tyre. Luckily being a runflat I carried on my journey and just replaced the tyre. I warned the fitter the tyre would have sealant in it and he said they they don't normally work in his experience. The tyre had a fair bit of sealant in it when it was removed but the pump just could get any more air into it for it to work.

I was lucky in spotting a screw in my rft and was able to get it home before it actually lost any measurable pressure and put my winters on while I got the puncture repaired.

I think there are considerable advantages in losing the run flats but the lack of spare wheel is a continual frustration.

I like the safety concept of the RFT but would still like a spare because tyre problems always seem to occur at the wrong time of day, a long way from home!

I have had big hassles with both of my RFT equipped BMWs. Both were probably very unlucky but the replacement for my 520d must have a space saver. Unfortunately, this means a move away from BMWs...

On 9/9/2018 at 8:30 PM, Phill20d said:

For some reason I kept my space saver I bought for my Z4 3.0 SI and now use that in my 5 since ditching the horrible run flats.

Have you actually tried fitting it to your 5 series? I only ask as the wheel bolts on the 5 are a larger diameter to those on the z4. 

19 hours ago, sjj84 said:

Have you actually tried fitting it to your 5 series? I only ask as the wheel bolts on the 5 are a larger diameter to those on the z4. 

Good point, and one thing I did not think about, so just checked and all is good, bolts fit.

Paul  

37 minutes ago, Phill20d said:

Good point, and one thing I did not think about, so just checked and all is good, bolts fit.

Paul  

Think all you'd need is the 520D wheel bolts (M14x1.5 IIRC); the holes in the Z4 wheel should still take them fine

The bolts are prob still the same size; just a different thread etc

1 hour ago, Phill20d said:

Paul  

That's good then, thought I'd mention it as hate for you to find out when you actually needed it. 

1 hour ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Think all you'd need is the 520D wheel bolts (M14x1.5 IIRC); the holes in the Z4 wheel should still take them fine

The bolts are prob still the same size; just a different thread etc

The bolts are a different size, they're m12 on the z4.

Ordered a tyre plug kit from Aliexpress and will buy a compressor next.

Given that I am rarely near a tyre centre my puncture plan is to pull over as soon as is safe, if possible plug, inflate and then get to a repair cantre.  Would like to avoid ruining the RF by driving for miles.

When I ditch the run flats I will repair the same way if needed.