oldtechnoman

battery charger/trickle charger what to buy

Went to start my slk280 yesterday after not using for about 3 weeks, just got one turn of starter,car is parked on driveway in front of house,had spare battery that i thought i could use jump leads on but found that was low as well, went to use Ring RCB320 on spare battery and charger has wrecked battery,

Do i buy a replacement charger or buy one of these trickle chargers.

borrowed my sons CTEK 0.8 last night and ran extension  cable to side of car with ctek under car bonnet, car started first go this morning.

Tim

Lots of people from several forums I use all seem to go for the CTEK brand.

CTEK MXS5.0 is very good. I've had one for a few years now and it still charges and conditions perfectly, however I took some advice from another forum and tried a lidl special offer one last year which was a quarter of the price and it keeps one of my other cars charged perfectly.

Plenty of choice out there and both budget or high end will do the job.

C.

16 minutes ago, cableguy said:

CTEK MXS5.0 is very good. I've had one for a few years now and it still charges and conditions perfectly, however I took some advice from another forum and tried a lidl special offer one last year which was a quarter of the price and it keeps one of my other cars charged perfectly.

Plenty of choice out there and both budget or high end will do the job.

C.

I have the lidl one too, that looks rather like the CTEK. There was nothing in the instructions that talked about battery conditioning so I haven't used it that way. Would be good to know, though.

Another vote for the Ctek MXS5.0.

No issues using it to charge my F10.  As long as you connect upstream of the IBS, i.e. the chassis and not the neg terminal of the battery you will be fine.

DSCN3896.jpg

I believe if you buy a BMW charger it is a Ctek one in a much more expensive cardboard box.