oldtechnoman

filler polishes.

Bought my car a couple of months ago and the black paint finish looked alright but now after a few months and a few polishes the paint is starting to show quite a few blemishes  and marks, the seller must have used a filler polish to mask the marks, is there a good filler polish that any one can recommend to cover these marks,thanks tim.

If the marks catch a finger nail then you can't polish them out.

If not you can get them machine polished out. These are marks in the clear coat which can be polished out.

Filler polish is fine if you are selling it. But if that's what you are after, I think Super Resin polish from Autoglym will fill to some extent.

I'd stay away from any Autoglym polish; more so on a dark car. It'll just leave dust residue everywhere

For black cars (like my previous 530i); I couldn't recommend Poorboys Black Hole high enough

Works very well indeed and can be used in any light/temp. Goes on really well and buffs up superbly too

thanks for replies, i am selling car as it is a convertible and was bought on a whim and find i am not using it enough to justify keeping over the winter, so just looking for something that will hide the marks that were hidden when i bought  the car,thanks tim

14 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

I'd stay away from any Autoglym polish; more so on a dark car. It'll just leave dust residue everywhere

I'd forgotten it used to do that!  I would spend hours polishing my Senator with that stuff to find white dust everywhere.....

I moved to Meguiars stuff in E39 ownership and once you get over the American brashness of the branding the products are far better than AG's offerings, especially if you are only buying 'off the High Street'.

When I had time I used to use Menzerna machine polish on my E60.  Since F10 ownership I've only managed to polish some scratches out of the bonnet and old wing using my dual action machine polisher.

For scratch removal I use the Meguiars microfibre cutting/polishing disks on a DA polisher, along with the recommended polishes. I forget the names but google is your friend. Used properly, there is little to no dust/sling. By hand I use 3M Finesse-It to remove light marks. Prior to a ceramic coating I use Car Pro Essence. This is a fine polish with a little bit of SiO2 (ceramic) inside and a few fillers. On a light pad, it just brings out that touch of extra gloss whilst leaving a surface primed for a ceramic coating. Again, no dust or sling. Can also be applied by hand, which I do on awkward areas like vents in bumpers etc.

For last stage protection, I avoid stuff that leaves dust or stains black plastic. On the 5 series, it's a ceramic coating with regular top ups from Car Pro Reload. My wife's car just get's Reload every 2 months. I still wax the Lotus as I am too mean to throw my wax away but it will probably go the sealant/ceramic route one day.