Scotty97

E61 - Tyre Pressure

I know this has been asked a thousand times, but i have a 2008 E61 530D running Non-run flat tyres (245/40 r18)

I set the tyre pressures as per the plate on the inside of door.

I have had the tyres for approx 6 months and travel 400 miles per week.

when checking tyres, i noticed that the front tyres are still in excellent condition, but the rear tyres have worn down to indicators in the centre of the tyres.  Edges of still still in good condition.

Looks like they over inflated.

What pressures are everyone else running in the rear tyres?

Hi

On my E60 i run 2.1 bar fronts and 2.5 bar rears, regardless of load or speed, mine normally runs at 80mph down the motorway all day, no abnormal wear on tyres

On mine, the door sticker says minimum pressures for 18s are 2.4 bar front and 2.6 bar rear, and that is what I run.

tyrpressure.jpg

13 minutes ago, Scotty97 said:

Looks like i been setting mine to the pressures for 5 people and suitcase, when 95% of the time its only me in it

Ha !  That would be your problem.

Yes very odd that they vary. 

I'm keeping a close eye on my rears, having replaced them a year or so ago, for wear in the middle. But the last set had to be replaced because of inner tyre wear anyway. 

I had this problem.

According to the tyre guy he said its common with BM's.. Apparently due to the large width of the rear, when it runs at high speeds the center expands out from centrifugal forces causing the center line to wear out quicker.   I very rarely have 5up in mine so i have mine a little lower for the size of my wheels 36psi on the front to take the weight of the engine and 35psi in the back. depends on your tyre brand and wheel size. Like i said 'for me' its working out well so far to have slightly less. Hope it makes sense to you because tyre guru had me when he said the word centrifugal....:shock:

Edited by BigMuthaTrUKa

My plate says 2.5 front, 3.0 rear on my 2010 E61 535d, 245 18" all round. No abnormal wear but they are run flats, I expect doing this to XL standard tyres would cause the same issue.

A mechanic once told me that tyre pressure is based on the weight of the car - so he said for the E36 I had at the time, I should use the same pressures for the upgraded 17s as was recommended for the standard 15s the car came with from the factory. I don't know if that is right or not.

Anyway, on mine the sticker says for 18s

2.4 front 2.6 rear

And for 17s

2.2 front 2.4 rear

I have been sticking to those 18 settings (for my 18s) but I'm probably going to go down a bit towards the 17 settings especially for the rear. The last thing you want is wear in the middle, because then you end up having to replace a perfectly good tyre sooner than needed.

The fronts I'm not so worried about. They've already been on there for over 6 years and have done about 45k miles already, so I reckon that is excellent value for money on those, even more so since they were on the car when I got it so I didn't pay for them !

Edited by Tuvoc