Just a quickie (oh err missus) 

how long (miles wise) do you get out of yours? 

I stuck a pair of tyres on the E91 for its MOT in December 17 (just Incase people have time traveled) and approx 13k later the inside edge has worn through enough to make them illegal, all the rest of the tyres is fine.

Apparently the E9x is known for wearing the rear tyres in this way.

so would you say 13k is about right? I think so, I can’t remember the make off the top of my head but there not quite ditch finders but there not mega cheap arse rubber either nor are they premium. 

I should say that the traction controll doesnt work as the rear brake pad wear sensor has been activated (I know I know, before you lot start going on....) 

That sounds heavy wear to me, given it's worse than E60 wear.

Wide 275 tyres on an E60 with a bigger engine I would expect to get 15-20k miles (but nearer 20k than 15k) assuming wheel alignment is good and it's a decent set of tyres, not cheapo ditch finders.

Well decent they ain’t! But they’re not quite ditch finders. 

I think they where £95 each so in that respect I think they have been ok? 

Doesn't seem awful as you say its the camber wear rather than the full tread.

Our e46 330d would do rears quite quickly even though it wasn't driven hard - think it did some falkens in less that 8k!

Hi,

Different tyres have different compounds for different applications and also, within each type of application, there's different 'Treadwear' characteristics. You've not said which model of tyre you've been using. Look on the side of the tyre you'll see a 'Treadwear' number and the higher it is, the more 'hard wearing' the compound of the rubber and thus, the more usage/miles you'll get from them.

There's all sorts of other dynamics for asking this, driving style, if you often drive on poorly maintained roads, your suspension geometry and the condition of your suspension components etc. Price of tyres does not mean the more expensive they are the longer they'll last. 

For a long time I've used Federal SS595's on my car and they were awesome for tyre wear, I did well over 30K miles on my initial set and subsequent ones have lasted 20K+ miles before going with a set of wheels I've sold and still having 5mm + of tread left. I did look at the Falken FK452's as they were a more well known brand and a similar price but many reports came back, like what Duncan mentions and 15K miles tops was the feedback. Kumho KU31's also get mentioned for longetivity. Also, other characteristics like grip and road noise etc were all well above average for these tyres. 

You need to spend some time looking around at the right tyres for you and the budget you wish to spend.

Cheers, Dennis!

12 minutes ago, DennisCooper said:

Hi,

Different tyres have different compounds for different applications and also, within each type of application, there's different 'Treadwear' characteristics. You've not said which model of tyre you've been using. Look on the side of the tyre you'll see a 'Treadwear' number and the higher it is, the more 'hard wearing' the compound of the rubber and thus, the more usage/miles you'll get from them.

There's all sorts of other dynamics for asking this, driving style, if you often drive on poorly maintained roads, your suspension geometry and the condition of your suspension components etc. Price of tyres does not mean the more expensive they are the longer they'll last. 

For a long time I've used Federal SS595's on my car and they were awesome for tyre wear, I did well over 30K miles on my initial set and subsequent ones have lasted 20K+ miles before going with a set of wheels I've sold and still having 5mm + of tread left. I did look at the Falken FK452's as they were a more well known brand and a similar price but many reports came back, like what Duncan mentions and 15K miles tops was the feedback. Kumho KU31's also get mentioned for longetivity. Also, other characteristics like grip and road noise etc were all well above average for these tyres. 

You need to spend some time looking around at the right tyres for you and the budget you wish to spend.

Cheers, Dennis!

FFS Dennis; copy all that off Google did we!? :roll: 

Re rear tyre wear; it seems that the 3 series are fairly well known for this

My pals had a fair few M3s in and they all chew their rear tyres; even ones that have been properly fast-road set up and corner weighted etc... Just seems that there's bit of a weakness there for this

I know my E38 7 used to eat the rear tyres on the inner sides; but then again it was lowered on coilovers and the camber was fairly aggressive...

Might be something you just need to accept pal

Hi Dennis 

you like telling people how to eat lemons don’t you? 

I’m fully aware that the cost of a tyre means nothing to how long it lasts! :rolleyes: 

Cheers bigjay A.K.A Yokozuna 

Im not complaining as I thought I was doing ok with them, my tyre guy did say the E91 love to chew the inner side of their tyres.

and it’s not like I go every where at 15mph either ;)  

My X5 used to knock the inner rear out in 20k miles.

Current 330d has 33 k on the clock, and tyres are still at 5mm, no inner edge wear of note, but front shoulders are looking on the way. Bridgestone RFT things.

on the F10, rears did over 33k  miles before changing (may even have been 36k but cant remember now and i change at 2mm)  but they lasted aged (Dunlop Sportmaxx GT). the type and nature of journeys made a massive difference. 

For approx £100 Goodyear Asymmetric 3. Can't go wrong with that surely. While the above kumho may well be half the price. Some of the fact figures reviews don't suit my motor way miles each day. 

Well had new tyres fitted today, Achilles pro sport or something? 255 40 zr17 which is what was on. 

£180 fitted so not to bad I thought? 

So it looks like I’ll be replacing them at 220k ish as long as they last the same as the others ;)