Alant1

525i 2009 mot advisory inner suspension

Any advice would be welcome.

My bmw e60 525i 2009 model with cic.

Passed mot but had advisory for the following.

Nearsid Rear Inner Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement Front

Offside Rear Inner Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement Front

My garage said it’s quite common and my car had very little wear and wouldn’t recommend replacement. I only drive about 6k per year.

Is it an expensive repair?

Thanks 

Not sure which parts it is - but there are two lower suspension arms and two upper suspension arms. It will be several hundred pounds including labour, and the alignment must be done afterwards for one of them, I think the lower.

My E60 had those identified as an advisory at an MOT. Year later, same technician did not pick these up. 

Different testing station the following year, these were picked up again. The next two following two MOTs with a different technician, he said something along the lines of "who's marked up some rear suspension bushes" I told him it was his pal over there, to which the response was "there's f£&? all wrong with those bushes". Car handled fine and no noises from the suspension.

To this day, they have yet to reappear on its MOT as an advisory.

So in my experience they are really subjective and different technicians have different opinions on what's an advisory.

Just noticed your query.  It may well be the rear lower ball joint rose bush.  My spannerman picked this up pre mot and said if I get the wrong inspector he may fail it.  Nearside was fine but offside bush had worn away the interior rubber.  Minimum movement on wheel.  Passed mot with no adviseries.  It is a barsteward of a job it appears so although I have the part below from ebay at £17.99 it will wait until nearer the next mot date for fitting as, just like you I do very little mileage nowdays.  Only problem with this is I have been warned, that if it collapses completely the whole unit may need replacing.

p.jpg

Yes, I had those fail on the old E39. Both had play if I jacked up the wheel and pushed with my foot on the bottom of the wheel towards the car (10mm to 20mm of movement). I replaced one as it was squeeking like and old bed over bumps. The garage couldn't get the other one out, left it for 7 MOTs without anyone noticing. Didn't have any uneven tyre wear either.

4 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

From what the OP described it is an inner joint more likely one of the bushes on arms #8, #14 and #19 where they connect to the subframe.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=NB32-EUR-05-2004-E60-BMW-545i&diagId=33_1165

I’m away at the moment. So will get some feedback from independents when I return.

I spoke to the mot station and they were suggesting £400 per side.