n0chex

BMW 435D Electrical Problem/Pin Burn Damage

Ok so I had a few warnings on the dash over the last few weeks over a rear left indicator bulb warning so I decided to buy a pair of bulbs and change both.

On inspection of the first one with the hazards on I did notice the left rear dimmer than the right so I automatically though just change the bulb, after the new bulb was installed same result dimmer than the right side.

I took the electrical plug out to inspect for corrosion and noticed one of the 4 pins was broken off and stuck in the female plug and on closer inspection looks like it has been arcing for a while.

As the car is only 3 years 9 months old only I think this is unacceptable and what do you guys think! 

Car was near 60k new!!

2018-08-23 17.44.03.jpg

Edited by n0chex

No warranty as I purchased the car Private just a little over 6 months ago. Going off Ebay I think the new part I need will be around £50 but not the cost which is worrying it's a part like this which shouldn't need replacing with a car this age unless it's already been removed and damaged before which I can't really see.

German technology or is it more like Chinese cheap metal which caused the pin to corrode and snap which then caused electrical Arc between the 2 points melting the plastic plug.

Edited by n0chex

Not really no, it “could” of been a dodgy lamp? Or if OEM quality then just a bad one? Who knows....

or the lamp could of been sitting slightly off so it caused the Arcing, thus causing what you have.

Edited by Yokozuna

I'm 53 and a time served Electrician since I was 23, never seen a bulb do this type of damage from the inside out. I have seen plenty of sockets/switches burn out just like this from arcing from loose terminals or corroded terminals.

If the lamp was causing the arc as being slightly un seated then surely it would be on the inside of the plate not the outside. The inside looked perfect no discolouration or corrosion anywhere to be seen. 

My cause for concern is to find out how this has happened so I can stop it happening again and maybe as you stated it could happen to any car but why and what caused it.

Edited by n0chex

Here is the female end and need to pick up the parts to repair tomorrow which cost £30 for the bulb holder and a further £12 for a repair kit which contains a new plug and new crimp connectors.

BMW parts stated that they sell a lot of these hence why they have in stock at all time :( SO if a known problem why no recall?

6aS82WA.jpg

Edited by n0chex

I = 21W / 12V = 1.75A for the rear left indicator and my theory is still arcing like points on a old car that has caused the burn damage not the bulb or extra load from somewhere else.

Edited by n0chex

Agree, If the insulation of the connector has failed. Quite common on old Nissan headlight connectors. Nevertheless, Brown is ground (-ve) and check ground block Z10*9B.

1VnXocoNcm

Edited by jake13

**UPDATE** I was struggling to remove the broken Pin in the female socket so I had to make another trip to the BMW garage and get the repair kit which was £13. It has solved my problem now and working fine, just needed to unclip the 3 pins fit them into the new plug and cut and crimp the new pin on the Brown which was badly corroded.

L9Wj0mI.jpg?1