Sign in to follow this  
Munich1

e28 interior soundproofing/insulation and stonechip

Was wondering if anyone knew what the hard stuck covering was on e28 (and probably other BMW's of the era) floor pan and trunk partition.

Looks like it was supplied in sheet form and heat set onto applicable areas.

If it's not available, is there a modern equivalent?

Also, looking at the underside of the car, does anyone know what stonechip was used by BMW and it's equivalent today?

IMG_6574.jpg

IMG_6576.jpg

IMG_6613.jpg

Hi Munich,

Stonechip:

Personally I swear by shutz for the outside and Dynamax for the internal cavities. Shutz will give a black finish, but in response to your question, I'm fairly certain that 3M stock pvc type stonechip that will give an OEM finish. 

Soundproofing:

I intend to use this stuff on my E24 to replace the OEM foam/rubber mat, as the orignial has largely disintegrated. I will let you know how I get on. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1m-x-5m-20mm-Classic-Car-Insulation-Restoration-Floor-Sound-Proofing-Deadening/263415099245?hash=item3d54c36f6d

Dynamat is said to replace the tar-like hard stuff very effectively. 

hope this helps

Dave 

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 4:13 PM, hippie dave said:

Hi Munich,

Stonechip:

Personally I swear by shutz for the outside and Dynamax for the internal cavities. Shutz will give a black finish, but in response to your question, I'm fairly certain that 3M stock pvc type stonechip that will give an OEM finish. 

Soundproofing:

I intend to use this stuff on my E24 to replace the OEM foam/rubber mat, as the orignial has largely disintegrated. I will let you know how I get on. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1m-x-5m-20mm-Classic-Car-Insulation-Restoration-Floor-Sound-Proofing-Deadening/263415099245?hash=item3d54c36f6d

Dynamat is said to replace the tar-like hard stuff very effectively. 

hope this helps

Dave 

Hi Dave, thanks for your pointers

After a bit of investigating, I have found that BMW still have the sound deadenener. They sell it in large sheets, 1160x700, which I can cut to shape.

Haven't identified what was used to stonechip the e28 at factory but have found something very close to OEM. Terosion Terostat 9320 is a match, comes in OEM beige, can be sprayed en mass and used to seam seal with the gun availaible for it.

My stonechip will defo have to come off as I can see bits of rust through cracks in the rubberised paint, who knows what's hiding underneath there.

Nik

Hiya Nik, Thanks for the information, most useful!

When you say sound deadener - do you mean the bitumen type sheet, or the thick, rubberised foam type stuff?

Many thanks

Dave