Biotoxic

Dyno runs and search for more power...

Right, so... 

In order to pass my MOT I had to install a DPF  on my existing 3'' straight pipe.

Whenever I did that I mentioned that I would like to do a dyno before and after It's done.

MOT sorted now, but I wasn't expecting this...

Specs:  03/2005 E60 535d, K&N panel filter, Stage 2 remap to 330HP, DPF/CAT removed, 3'' straight pipe, Silicone vacuum hoses, Inlet manifold cleaned, boost pipe/hoses changed to an aftermarket silicone ones

So on the first run with just the straight pipe fitted it was:

1118131400_MaxHP.thumb.jpg.f5c3b31deac640020bca43fa93990687.jpg

So 345.6 HP and 579.06 Nm on a rollers with the engine warm(car was parked for about 30 minutes before the dyno)

then shortly after they did the second run, this time it was: 

1627839679_Maxhpsecondrun.thumb.jpg.0a4d2852bcaaa2dbb6e21d8ff3c68af4.jpg

313.8 HP and 562.39 Nm  :blink::unsure::wacko::( 

So on the second run, I lost 31.8 HP and 16.67 Nm

Then, after the DPF was fitted I was shocked of the power figures...

First run after it was fitted:......

1106964082_Firstrunafterdpffitted.thumb.jpg.e7e2ec03ea33b79f6327ee0146e82f68.jpg

Second...

1474282153_Secondrunafterdpffittedfirstrun.thumb.jpg.3855feae4ea7252af958171eacd17a21.jpg

and the last one.........................................

1422537249_Thirdrunafterdpffitted.thumb.jpg.d1cd014bf296d2e88da3ecccc417d2e4.jpg

So......  it feels like I a driving a 525d now or worse.....

My conclusion: I lost about 110 HP after I fitted as it turns out now, a badly blocked DPF:rolleyes: When I checked in ista, my back pressure was 320 bar, but after the cleaning, the backpressure now is about 4 bar on idle... Taking about ''No power or low power'' topics in here... that's the problem, most likely.

Another thing that bothers me.

There is a power loss just after the first run.

Guy said it's most likely because of the stock intercooler not having enough time to cool down itself.

Now I think I will be getting a Wagner one, but then I found alternative ones, although some modifications will be necessary. Mostly a 335 performance intercoolers look the same as Wagner ones, but the holes and positioning of them are a bit different. About £300 for one. After it will be sourced then some modifications to freeze the intercooler on request and I would use the dyno again just to see the difference how much HP and torque gains a larger intercooler can do. 8)

Edited by Biotoxic

Very interesting, who would have thought? 

Do you have to put back in a DPF? I know it is  requirement now for an MOT pass but you are the first one I hear to do it so far!

Regards numbers above, I am not an expert but numbers seems all over the place, are you sure that Dyno is right and adjusted or set well? Your DPF, is it new or used?

Anyway, seems a lot (110bhp) lost but good comparing anyway. It would drive me nuts knowing I have lost a 100bhp! Do you feel it when you drive the car?

Vlady

Did you have to put the car into a certain mode to get it to work in the rollers?

My E60 kept wanting to shift up and despite assurances from the rolling road owner before hand that he could deal with autos, there was clearly an issue as I didn't really get a clean run.  Made 286bhp, about 50 shy but it made 610Nm of torque which is just nonsense. 

6 hours ago, Vlady said:

Very interesting, who would have thought? 

Do you have to put back in a DPF? I know it is  requirement now for an MOT pass but you are the first one I hear to do it so far!

Regards numbers above, I am not an expert but numbers seems all over the place, are you sure that Dyno is right and adjusted or set well? Your DPF, is it new or used?

Anyway, seems a lot (110bhp) lost but good comparing anyway. It would drive me nuts knowing I have lost a 100bhp! Do you feel it when you drive the car?

Vlady

I asked them to fit the DPF from 2.5 litre engine as it has a 3" as well and I asked them to fit in a way so I could remove the DPF myself whenever I need it and fit a straight pipe back on the exhaust  itself. I didn't  gut it because later on in a future mot centres could be able to measure if I actually have the element itself or not. So now I only have to remove the DPF and leave it in a shelf for the next mot to be hustle free. 

No idea about the dyno configuration. DPF I got it from a scrapyard for £160 with other bits and pieces. There is a brand new ones available on ebay for about £170.. I would suggest  to get the brand new one, as you wouldn't have much hustle to clean them. Power wise feels like big turbo doesn't work. It is that bad... it only has some I mean some low down power...

5 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Did you have to put the car into a certain mode to get it to work in the rollers?

My E60 kept wanting to shift up and despite assurances from the rolling road owner before hand that he could deal with autos, there was clearly an issue as I didn't really get a clean run.  Made 286bhp, about 50 shy but it made 610Nm of torque which is just nonsense. 

Hold the DSC/DTC button for few seconds untill you get two warning messages. Then you can shift it in DS mode and you can actualy start moving off at the second gear (M2) once you are on the move you can shift in 4th. As far as I know most dyno's use 4th gear to do a test runs. Oh yes, whenever they started to test the car regeneration  kicked in (although  it shouldn't because of the stage 2 remap, something  else needs adjusting.) So once in a while car smokes a lot because of it (but not with the DPF fitted. This needs to be addressed. . Will look into it whenever  I will remove the DPF  off the car.

Never had a dyno run done so excuse the ignorance on my part but in order to calculate torque via the wheels don't they need to know the ratio of fourth gear and the overall final drive or doesn't that matter?  A torque converter in an auto doubles the amount of torque from the engine, and obviously the gearbox ratios and diff final drive skew that too.

39 minutes ago, bmwmike said:

Never had a dyno run done so excuse the ignorance on my part but in order to calculate torque via the wheels don't they need to know the ratio of fourth gear and the overall final drive or doesn't that matter?  A torque converter in an auto doubles the amount of torque from the engine, and obviously the gearbox ratios and diff final drive skew that too.

Which the RR operator told me, yeah yeah I can deal with all that.....

Its all done on the run down, converting the mechanical drag of the diff and gearbox back to flywheel power and torque. 

My traction was off, but I can't recall if it was hold down for 10 secs off.  Test was done in manual mode in 3rd gear.  Waste of £40!