Florin

E61 tailgate wiring - identify same colour cables - third brake light not working

Hello All,

I just replaced all the cables on my tailgate but ran into an issue.

The cables on the right side were already cut and thus I ended up with three brown cables that I could not link to their corresponding ends. 

One was easy to figure out because it is thinner and connects the glass micro switch. 

But I still have two identical brown cables which I need to connect.

The 3rd brake light does not work. I tested it with a 9V battery and the LEDs are switching on which means the lamp is ok.

For the second brown cable I do not know what else is not working. It goes into the module on top of the tail, wide connector on the right side.

Any idea how to identify which cable goes where?

Are they maybe both the ground (minus polarity)? This is a test I still want to do, test the lamp with the ground coming from the car body. 

Any other ideas please of what I could do to identify the cables or how to fix the 3rd brake light?

Do you know if there is a wiring diagram available for all the cables going through the hinges and the systems depending on them?

Thanks a lot for your help and comments. 

Once this is fixed I will work on to the next issues:

- micro switch broken (glass pops by itself at start)

- right mirror dead

- left mirror intermitently dead (not answering any commands)

I like the car a lot but I am quite dissapointed with the quality and hate being ripped off by the garrage.

Thanks again

Plain brown are earth, some have a pinstripe and this caught me out and I got 2 wrong, but it was the boot lock and a light.

3rd brake light is prone to failure so check for 5v on the wires running to it.

Thanks a lot GoNz0I got the two browns connected. 

There is no voltage coming on the wires of the 3rd brake light. I guess the (+) is somewhere disconnected or it does not get any signal when hitting the brake. 

Anybody ran into the same issue?