Sign in to follow this  
Retset

Looks like I will be selling the 5 :o

Well, I've only been in 5 ownership for a year this time. I really like the car but it has proved too big. It has never 'shrunk around me' and I have too often been in situations with at least 3 beepers going all at once, sometimes with my wife outside helping. This never happened with the E91 or E39, which never even had front sensors or felt like they needed them. I have also had a runflat issue which I will detail later in the appropriate forum. I think it was probably a freak occurrence but it was the nail in the coffin as I never really wanted a car without a spare. It does mean the new owner will have new back tyres!

I have to say that I struggle to find any other negatives with the car. I love the ride quality, it's refined and quick enough for the real world. It is supremely comfortable and the HK stereo is decent. The massive boot ( a big reason for purchase) has been very useful and the car has made many return trips to Cornwall, full to the roof. A true 45mpg over everything is very respectable. I've also enjoyed Spotify integration and a number of toys that the older BMW's didn't have.

I'm now looking for a Golf estate. They are one of the very few cars that are a similar size to an E91 but with the boot room of an F11 (more, actually!). Heart says an R but head says a GTD, especially as I could just afford the Mk7.5. Grumpy me asks why didn't they make a GTi estate? I would have been looking for a 3 Touring but I have been caught out on the E91 and the F11 with big issues revolving round no spare/carrying spares in the boot and want a car with a spare this time.

As before, it's not a goodbye as I still like to pop into General Discussion from time to time :)

OK, the 5 is now ready for sale. Ideally, I will sell privately as it is in superb condition, with BMW warranty etc.

I'm not doing a proper ad yet as there is a car I want to view and potentially trade the 520d for, although the thought of somebody in the trade getting near 'my' ceramic coating etc. makes me feel a bit unwell.

Edit: I was offered almost private sale price in px because it looks so good so, despite what i said a week ago, I'm pxing it!

Edited by Retset

We had a GTD (2014) for 4 years, as our 2nd car and its probably the best small car we have ever owned. Mapped to 240bhp by the lads at Ecotune-scotland.co.uk it was a riot.   6 sec flat 0-100kph and high 40s even when you drove it like you stole it.  

Do it, brilliant car. 

21 hours ago, Retset said:

I've done it Lennox, albeit heart won over head ... I collect my pre-reg R estate tomorrow :mrgreen:

Nice one - interested to see some pics of it.

On 9/26/2018 at 9:08 AM, Retset said:

I've done it Lennox, albeit heart won over head ... I collect my pre-reg R estate tomorrow :mrgreen:

So you know the rules pics or it didn't happen. 

I'll try and sort some pics guys but, yes, it is quick :mrgreen:  I miss a few things from the BMW but I get 5 series space in 3 series size with a spare wheel. Main change is the 'who's in charge?' philosophy  where it tells me I should switch on my headlights or slows me down with the active cruise, about half a second before I would have pulled out. I love it, despite that. I have the engine noise set to Race most of the time (some real noises and some false ones) but this is only because I haven't grown up, ;)