Ninja59

BMW EGR "Technical Campaign"

It seems we all need to expect this soon:

"Munich. BMW AG investigations have revealed that - similar to the current Korean situation - an Exhaust-Gas-Recirculation (EGR) module malfunction may, in rare cases, cause fires in some BMW diesel vehicles in the European market.

The BMW Group has decided to carry out a technical campaign to check the EGR module and replace any faulty components on the potentially affected vehicles. 

In the European market this technical action relates to the EGR module of BMW 3 Series, 4 Series, 5 Series, 6 Series, 7 Series, X3, X4, X5, X6 vehicles with 4-cylinder diesel engines (production from April 2015 until September 2016) and 6-cylinder diesel engines (production from July 2012 until June 2015).

Part of this EGR module is the EGR cooler. In some cases, small quantities of the glycol coolant can escape and build up in the EGR module. When combined with carbon and oil sediments, this deposit can become combustible. With the high temperatures of the exhaust gases in this unit, these deposits can ignite. In rare cases this may cause melting of the intake manifold and in extreme cases a fire may result.  

This technical campaign has been decided in accordance with the EU approved guidelines for risk assessment. Customers with affected vehicles will be contacted as soon as possible."

Something like 300,000 cars in other words...

7 hours ago, Ninja59 said:

Well my manifold has signs of melting directly in front of the EGR entry to it near the throttle.

Any chance of a picture please?  I'm Keen to understand so as I can show my dad what to look for on his 530d.

12 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Any chance of a picture please?  I'm Keen to understand so as I can show my dad what to look for on his 530d.

Andy according to the tech it has not melted and was in serviceable condition, I still think it had a little mark that looked suspect, but they apparently go to holes pretty quickly - I would focus around the front bend of the inlet manifold. Although holes can appear higher up as well , coolant was down. We had a bit of a disagreement over the term "low" I consider minimum to be low for obvious reasons, it appears BMW definition is the coolant warning been on. Mine had literally sapped all the coolant from max to min in a short time span of about 3-4 weeks. In the time I have owned it the car has never got so low, in fact I would go as far to say it has barely moved in that time period, so it moving over that time period with a similar regular mileage in itself is "suspect". Either way the tech topped it off followed me to the dealer and happy days. 

Brutally, watch the coolant more as it really is the lead on to the EGR cooler failing and eventually the inlet manifold melting. Do not work on warning lights as they may not appear although in some cases they have because of the incorrect parameters from the EGR cooler or because the EGR is getting stuck 

I think part of the problem is that there are so many "variables" in the nature of these failures, the parts involved are the same, but the routes of them failing have subtle differences that can dictate whether the EML comes on or not.

Edited by Ninja59

7 hours ago, Ninja59 said:

Well my manifold has signs of melting directly in front of the EGR entry to it near the throttle.

Thats not good! But a pic would be ace. 

Really unsure if i should bother maintaining service history just in case it affects a claim. 

2 minutes ago, SuperDave said:

Thats not good! But a pic would be ace. 

Really unsure if i should bother maintaining service history just in case it affects a claim. 

Nope but based on the report done by him it is just a suspect EGR cooler, but as said above I would watch your coolant more as the issue really starts before then.

Reading around the F30 forums and on Pistonheads though there is at least 5 people I now know of that have suffered actual holes in the inlet manifold in the UK. All had similar coolant dropping patterns. Warning lights are commonly not present either.

Thanks guys.  I'm just keen to understand what to look out for, so all the info I can get is a great help.

Doesn't help that I don't know my way around under the bonnet on a 3.0d other than doing the infamous yellow grommet.

My dad hasn't reported any symptoms which is good, his has only done 35k in nearly 6 years.

Does anyone know if the 245PS N57 is affected by the EGR cooler failures? I can't say I've noticed any symptoms in the 3 years I've owned my 2010 model.

Yep mine falls within the recall build period. But EGR coolers just seem common irresspective of age i suspect though it is the later cars that are euro 6 are more problematic.

Odd.  I currently have exactly this issue with my 13 plate 730d.  I took it to an independent (ex BMW dealer mechanic) to get diagnosed following the engine management light coming on, coolant loss and smoke coming from under the back of the bonnet when stationary.

The diagnostic revealed EGR coolant leak into the manifold burning a hole into the rear hence causing the egress of smoke.  Result is about £1800 to repair.  The issue is that the mechanic issued a warning that the hole in the manifold was directly against fuel pipes at the rear so there was a risk of fire.  I was going away the next day and wasn't driving the car so agreed to book it in at a later date for repair.

I now see this, which describes exactly my issue, yet calling BMW this morning they state that my vehicle is not subject to any recall?

How do I check if my vehicle is affected/covered? And if it is, will BMW get in touch - I didn't buy the car either new or through approved used.

Personally check your coolant when cold, if there is any significant decrease in the level of coolant in the expansion tank then get it checked. It is the beginning of the failure of the EGR cooler.

Whether people like this or not the EGR itself is not the issue here it is that the cooler allows coolant into the actual inlet that then mixes with the carbon build up in the inlet ultimately leading to the issues above, or as BMW are referring to it in some literature a "thermal event" I mean FFS.

EGR coolers on these cars can fail in multiple ways, and just for confirmation mine WAS an internal leak which is a precursor to this issue.

Looking around BMW have cheaped out potentially and they appear to have previously used Mahle EGR Coolers, but it appears they are now using Korens EGR Coolers from Korea....ironically where this all kicked off, irony is strong.

http://www.korens.co.kr/eng/?folder=business&page=0103

Edited by Ninja59