Nomis

Halfords discount????

I want to get my sons 18th birthday pressie from there but it's a bit over my budget so was wondering before I get something cheaper whether anybody knows of a discount code, if indeed they even do such a thing.

P.M me if you need to keep it secret. :ph34r:

Cheers.

Tool chest itself. I bought him one of the professional socket sets, 150 piece iirc, for a previous birthday and it's been marvellous. Why anybody spends a fortune on snap-on is beyond me. 

I have looked on my AA app benefits and sure enough I can have a 10% discount. Only thing is with the chests if you buy all 3 parts together it's substantially cheaper than buying them individually so I don't know if thats counted as an offer. The discount voucher says the 10% cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer. 

Good shout though Duncan, thanks. ;)

Halfords have most of their tools and garage storage on 50% discount for half the year, are you.after additional discount or not aware of their regular offers?

Yes I know they do like a sale but unfortunately there isn't one on tool chests at the moment and they've just brought out a new range so I doubt they'll be having a sale anytime soon. His birthday is on the 19th so can't really hold on for long. 

The price of the 3 piece chest I want for him is pretty good to be fair so I was just after a sweetener which the AA 10% does so I'll be happy with that if it works. 

After work today I popped into machine mart and had a look at the Clarke range. One did catch my eye but it's £600 inc vat. I used to get offers from them for VAT free prices which would make that affordable to me but I've not shopped there for a while so don't get the offers anymore. I tried getting the discount with the sales assistant but he was having non of it :lol: He said he'd get a catalogue sent out to me which may or may not have a discount offer with it.

I've looked on the bay. There are some sellers selling Halfords sets which seems a bit odd to me but they aren't really much cheaper so I'd sooner get it from Halfords and have the lifetime warranty. 

2 hours ago, Nomis said:

Tool chest itself. I bought him one of the professional socket sets, 150 piece iirc, for a previous birthday and it's been marvellous. Why anybody spends a fortune on snap-on is beyond me. 

I have looked on my AA app benefits and sure enough I can have a 10% discount. Only thing is with the chests if you buy all 3 parts together it's substantially cheaper than buying them individually so I don't know if thats counted as an offer. The discount voucher says the 10% cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer. 

Good shout though Duncan, thanks. ;)

i never know why people bash on Snap On all the time. Yes they're expensive, but they're absolute quality tools. No complaints about mine i've had for 10+ years and used day in day out on HGV's. No chips, no cracks, no de-chroming, everything works as good as they day i bought it. The other makes on the other hand Halfords/Draper/Teng, i can't say the same for those. 

i paid the same price for a Snap On 1/2" ratchet set with the same equipment as this halfords version https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/tools/socket-sets/halfords-advanced-19-piece-vortex-socket-set-1-2 

2 hours ago, Nomis said:

Why anybody spends a fortune on snap-on is beyond me. 

Snap on gear doesn’t wear out like the Halfords stuff, it’s ok for the diy mechanic and I’m not knocking it but used every day professionally it just would not last 

Ok, fair point. I should have said anybody other than professionals that can buy it at a decent discounted price. The halfords professional stuff is guaranteed for life though so if it breaks they replace it just the same. I’ve had a non professional set for many years. I’ve totally abused the half inch ratchet with scaffolding bar extensions :lol: and it’s still working perfectly. 

I do get snap-on and believe me, my lottery win garages will be full of the stuff but for peasants like us the halfords stuff is plenty good enough. 

Go get yourself a trade card.. I got one quite easily and the prices online and inshore are discounted

agree with Blobby, trade card discounts are decent. 

Your profile says your an elec engineer - this is a valid occupation for a free trade card I believe. Pop in to your local store with some sort of ID and they'll give you one

Just thought. If you’re on machine Marts mailing list they have vat free days on all Clarke products, decent quality too, saved a small fortune on a mig welder a few months ago

21 hours ago, sanjx said:

agree with Blobby, trade card discounts are decent. 

Your profile says your an elec engineer - this is a valid occupation for a free trade card I believe. Pop in to your local store with some sort of ID and they'll give you one

Electrical engineer is my main job title.. I registered under my heating and plumbing business i used to have.. to be fair i could have bought a library card and got an account it was that easy.

Indeed, and this is the same organisation people trust to carry out servicing on their car!

On 8/7/2018 at 7:12 PM, TerryTibbs said:

Snap on gear doesn’t wear out like the Halfords stuff, it’s ok for the diy mechanic and I’m not knocking it but used every day professionally it just would not last 

Snap On lives on a long past reputation. Halfords will exchange a breakage no quibling, same as Snap On ( used to do?)

^ this. I have most stuff I need now but if there is a tool I need it's a,ways Halfords. Needed a 24mm spammer popped down £10 and then 10% off with a job done. 

Broken torx bit. Replaced no issue. 

7 hours ago, roofer said:

Snap On lives on a long past reputation. Halfords will exchange a breakage no quibling, same as Snap On ( used to do?)

Yep, thats how I see it. My son has broken a torx bit also, we popped into Halfords expecting a long question and answer session, what were you doing at the time blah blah blah. Not a single question!!!! Just went off out the back and came back with a replacement. Didn't even ask for the receipt.

Edited by Nomis

2 hours ago, Nomis said:

Yep, thats how I see it. My son has broken a torx bit also, we popped into Halfords expecting a long question and answer session, what were you doing at the time blah blah blah. Not a single question!!!! Just went off out the back and came back with a replacement. Didn't even ask for the receipt.

Wish I had known that.  As anyone who has ever done lower arms on an E60,they will have snapped a Torx T40.

DSCN0097.jpg

Snapped my Halfords T40 bit so ended up hacksawing the ball joint.   Bought a replacement Draper one online before I did the other side's arms.

My stuff as a diy mechanic is mostly Draper.  Never let me down.  I have some Sealey stuff but its not as good quality as the Draper, the Draper fit and finish is much better.

The Halfords stuff I have has been good too, I've even sold on some Halfords stuff on ebay as I got doubles of things when I bought more sets to get other sizes etc.

I used to use draper stuff but find the halfords proffesional stuff better and as already said the guarantee is priceless. 

The socket sets with all the other stuff that comes with it when on half price sale (more often than not) is a complete bargain imo. 

Agree totally with the Halfords comments.  Broke a socket, took it back, changed for new no problem. I’d had it several years and it had done a lot of work.  Always buy their stuff when I can.