khanny

Wastgate adjustment help needed

Hi guys I have a 2008 535d recently had to remove both wastegates trying to set them back right but can't seem to find the correct position for both turbos to kick in how they were before.

Adjusted to full length and down to full shortness but now big wastegate is set to an inch and half from end of rod and first turbo seems to be working a lot better just can't seem to get second turbo to boost properly, it is boosting but nowhere near what it should be. All vacuum tubes been replaced pressure convertors replaced, no black smoke. Has anyone any idea which wastegate controls the big turbo as whether I adjust the big wastegate or the little one in front of the radiator it just seems to affect low down boost.

Thanks

Sent from my G3311 using Bimmerfest mobile app

On 8/9/2018 at 7:55 PM, khanny said:

Figured the big wastgate settings it's just the compressor bypass plate canister the little 1 at the front near water pump. 

Settings for big wastegate here https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e60-535d-lim_200805/repair-manuals/11-engine/11-65-charger-with-control/PItOOKl

Christ that's a complicated box of tricks.. I would have set the actuators to how they were before

Ye they've been of the car for that long I forgot how they where set I know I should have marked them and apparently a couple of turns of the nut can make all the diffrence

I did look at that myself and came to the conclusion that I would tape the nut in place and put it back to that, seems fine. All those diagnostic tools to me seems like it is saying, connect a vacuum to the pipe, close the plate and do the nut up 4 turns. I guess a £15 vac test kit would do it if it has a gauge.