oldtechnoman

What price for next service?

Have been running a 5series for the last 6years and up to now have never had to pay for a service,cars have always had a service contract or 12 months dealer warranty but the time has come to get my 2012 530dGT 48000 miles its first paid for service.the I Drive shows the following messages.

Engine Oil 09/2018

next statutory vehicle  inspection  09/2018  is this mot?

Vehicle check 09/2020

front brake pads 60000

rear brake pads 90000

brake fluid 09/2019

What is main dealer likely to quote for what looks like just an oil change

is it worth checking between 2 local dealers Halliwell Jones Chester and Williams Liverpool, or use local independent  Newhall. West Kirby.

i am presently paying for the BMW mondail warranty but thinking of cancelling as i have never made a claim or had a fault in 6 years of ownership.

Is it worth asking about value servicing, does my car qualify for this.

any suggestions please Tim

Or if you know which end of a spanner to hold and have said spanners, you can do a fair amount of it yourself.

Newtis is your friend for this....

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/

Punch in your last 7 digits of your chassis number and look up what you want to do on your car.

An oil service around here is about £250-260 with the carbon activated pollen filters. I always do these my self and that knocks around £90 off (you can get Mann filters from GSF for about £30 a pair).

The Mann ones are no different. I've even had Mann branded ones fitted by BMW with the BMW logo(which isn't on the GSF ones). There's the same amount of flutes as well so performance is the same. It's one of the easy ways to save a few quid they only take about 10 mins to fit.

Newhall have always been excellent afaik, if nearby and you are not worried about main dealer service history I'd go with them. I and other forum members have used and been very happy with. 

SjR Automotive in Chester are very good too and virtually next door to HJ's service center. Good helpful guys who i use - example HJ spent two hours trying to find the right locking wheel nut for my car, eventually suggested i try SJR who found it in five minutes. Personally would go with Williams over HJ if you want main dealer history. 

Just been quoted £380 for oil service, microfilter and inspection (not an Mot) by HJ versus £260 for the oil service on the value website, or the £60 i could do it for myself! 

Mondial warranty does not require a main dealer service history according to the terms i read but i bet it makes things a lot easier. 

Edited by SuperDave

Mine is in for an interim oil service (not under service pack) - £218 for oil and oil filter (I suppose I could use an indy or do it myself, but my time is going in to our house at the moment and I don't really fancy trying indies just yet (been burnt by a few in the past), plus my dealer has usually been spot on). They are doing my MOT for free after one SA took it on herself to have a go at me, unfortunately for her I know the head of aftersales rather well, idiot (and I am not fearful of kicking up a fuss).

Micro Filters are about £80 or £90, other filters from memory are like 60-80.

Techs tend to be good though and use their brains (I do know a fair few of them now).

Overall it does help building relationships as you do get slightly better service and rarely have I paid full price for anything on mine (including tyres in honesty, although I know plenty of scary stories).

Edited by Ninja59

As above, build a good relationship with a competent indi, said it many times but I like to deal directly and see the whites of the eyes of the guy holding the spanner, not the faceless spanner who doesn't give a sh1t about me or my car. 

50 minutes ago, Ninja59 said:

Overall it does help building relationships as you do get slightly better service

Agree, get to know the guys, and it will work wonders.

Last two Indy's I've used were like that. I used to get diagnostic codes read on my E39 and E60 for free after building a relationship up with them. E39 wheel sensor failures were diagnosed free and I then replaced the bit myself.

No issues with my main dealer after nearly ten years of using that particular dealer. But they only do routine servicing and the odd MOT for me. Everything else has been me or an Indy.

10 hours ago, Ninja59 said:

Mine is in for an interim oil service (not under service pack) - £218 for oil and oil filter (I suppose I could use an indy or do it myself, but my time is going in to our house at the moment and I don't really fancy trying indies just yet (been burnt by a few in the past), plus my dealer has usually been spot on). They are doing my MOT for free after one SA took it on herself to have a go at me, unfortunately for her I know the head of aftersales rather well, idiot (and I am not fearful of kicking up a fuss).

Micro Filters are about £80 or £90, other filters from memory are like 60-80.

Techs tend to be good though and use their brains (I do know a fair few of them now).

Overall it does help building relationships as you do get slightly better service and rarely have I paid full price for anything on mine (including tyres in honesty, although I know plenty of scary stories).

Am I right in thinking you are in Kent? Which dealership do you use?

Thanks for all replies,i think the days of me doing jobs on the car are long since gone,have rebuilt engines and replaced clutches on ford cortiners in the past, just had phone call from Williams BMW today offering half price MOT so mentioned value service to them and they said would ring me back with price, would prefer to keep main dealer service history if i can if price is not to bad,thanks tim

34 minutes ago, oldtechnoman said:

would prefer to keep main dealer service history if i can if price is not to bad,thanks tim

Totally Agree but when trade in time comes it will make the square root of heee haw on what price you get. 

When my E60 went, with diy serviced evidence in the service book, the trader took £40 off the price. 

I saved hundreds of pounds doing the work myself. 

No brainer, but I appreciate lying underneath a car on a cold driveway when it's raining isn't much fun for some either.

23 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Totally Agree but when trade in time comes it will make the square root of heee haw on what price you get. 

When my E60 went, with diy serviced evidence in the service book, the trader took £40 off the price. 

I saved hundreds of pounds doing the work myself. 

No brainer, but I appreciate lying underneath a car on a cold driveway when it's raining isn't much fun for some either.

Quite opposite down here. Too damn hot to work on the car for the past 5 weeks.

On 8/6/2018 at 7:18 PM, Johnny Grabble said:

Stick your reg and mileage in here: https://www.bmw-service.co.uk/value_service 

Dealers will almost certainly quote you higher than this so it's worth having handy when you call them.

Might not be as bad as you think...or it might...in which case you'll be needing to find an Indy.

1 hour ago, oldtechnoman said:

Thanks for all replies,i think the days of me doing jobs on the car are long since gone,have rebuilt engines and replaced clutches on ford cortiners in the past, just had phone call from Williams BMW today offering half price MOT so mentioned value service to them and they said would ring me back with price, would prefer to keep main dealer service history if i can if price is not to bad,thanks tim

They all consult https://www.bmw-service.co.uk/value_service (link provided by JG). You can book the service online and designate the BMW garage you want the service to be carried out. For example, if you book online and the price is £200 and choose to carryout with Williams. However,  Williams quoted you £300 then it will be the online price you will be paying not whatever Williams quoted you.

Edited by jake13

1 hour ago, jake13 said:

Quite opposite down here. Too damn hot to work on the car for the past 5 weeks.

They all consult https://www.bmw-service.co.uk/value_service (link provided by JG). You can book the service online and designate the BMW garage you want the service to be carried out. For example, if you book online and the price is £200 and choose to carryout with Williams. However,  Williams quoted you £300 then it will be the online price you will be paying not whatever Williams quoted you.

I must be going blind, where is the online booking? 

15 hours ago, sjj84 said:

Am I right in thinking you are in Kent? Which dealership do you use?

Yes Barretts (formerly Broadoak), Ashford. I never got on with Canterbury. I know Ashford is smaller, but I know most of the longer standing techs and the service side.

17 hours ago, oldtechnoman said:

Have they called you back yet...?

5 hours ago, Ninja59 said:

Yes Barretts (formerly Broadoak), Ashford. I never got on with Canterbury. I know Ashford is smaller, but I know most of the longer standing techs and the service side.

Ah I'm the other way round, prefer Canterbury. Seems to depend vastly on which service adviser you get, some are great others really aren't.

9 minutes ago, sjj84 said:

Ah I'm the other way round, prefer Canterbury. Seems to depend vastly on which service adviser you get, some are great others really aren't.

Hahaha, I probably am better off I know Pat at Ashford well (which is where my car happens to be today after this morning - suspected EGR Cooler failure lovely).

It is in anyway in a few weeks for servicing, MOT etc. I know there has been quite a change of frontline staff in recent times so I do pick them carefully, some as you say are good others you just a little like hmm...nope. Hence why I made the complaint I did after some of her comments!

Edited by Ninja59

12 minutes ago, sjj84 said:

Ah ha, I had my egr cooler replaced a couple of months ago too!

How old was your car at the time and mileage wise?

Mine is just under 3 years since registration, but more like 3.5 years since build, 38k.