oldtechnoman

What price for next service?

I get the prices but there's no online booking - ie i cant lodge that price with the dealer, i have to phone them, wait an age then argue the toss. 

To be honest having checked on WBAC the difference in sales price is £100 for full vs partial service history and ive got all the paperwork for filters and oil. I save £200 if i do the next service myself and now i have ISTA should be easy enough to add in the cars onboard history. No service book either so its the incar record and paperwork anyway. 

Neighbours never look that impressed mind, dont think ive ever seen a car being serviced at home round this way. :ph34r:

Edited by SuperDave

3 minutes ago, SuperDave said:

I get the prices but there's no online booking - ie i cant lodge that price with the dealer, i have to phone them, wait an age then argue the toss. 

To be honest having checked on WBAC the difference in sales price is £100 for full vs partial service history and ive got all the paperwork for filters and oil. I save £200 if i do the next service myself and now i have ISTA should be easy enough to add in the cars onboard history. No service book either so its the incar record and paperwork anyway. 

Neighbours never look that impressed mind, dont think ive ever seen a car being serviced at home round this way. :ph34r:

The online service prices seem a complete joke in fairness you rarely get quoted the price it says. Although saying that I won't moan when it is cheaper than the website, which historically it has been with my main dealer.

11 minutes ago, Ninja59 said:

I won't moan when it is cheaper than the website, which historically it has been with my main dealer.

Our local dealer is the complete opposite, they rang me last week to inform me the car needed a service and it would be £380. Thats before they add on the oil top up that's not actually been put in the car, or the screen wash top up thats not required etc

Edited by SuperDave

1 minute ago, SuperDave said:

Our local dealer is the complete opposite, they rang me last week to inform me the car needed a service and it would be £380. Thats before they add on the oil top up that's not actually been put in the car, or the screen wash top up thats not required etc

How much labour if you supply oil & oil filter? I was quoted £67.50 for the E61 and I know the guy for over 4 years. I always get him to knock few quid off the listed price.

34 minutes ago, SuperDave said:

Ok, I found another way. Clear cookies in your browser and put the wrong reg & mileage. It will say it can't find the vehicle and will give you option to manually select the vehicle.

11 minutes ago, oldtechnoman said:

No.:(

Oil service only for your car is £243.

Oil service with micro filter is £393.80 which includes £19.80 for 'standard scope'

"The standard scope is a necessary requirement carried out at every workshop visit. Your BMW Technician will interrogate your BMW’s computer for error messages and reset completed service indicators"

I doubt very much they ever read the fault codes.

1 hour ago, SuperDave said:

+1 on that.

My neighbours have never said anything, one was quite impressed that I was tackling a water pump on my E39 outside my house. I told him that it was easier on the what he perceived as the more complicated car than on my Mini!  Besides they come and ask me to change flat tyres, change headlight bulbs, top up oil and do jump starts for them.

2 hours ago, jake13 said:

How much labour if you supply oil & oil filter? I was quoted £67.50 for the E61 and I know the guy for over 4 years. I always get him to knock few quid off the listed price.

I doubt they'd (main dealer) do it and my relationship with them is pretty awful as ive called out their problems before. Our local indy is good but doesn't generally allow parts from elsewhere, although he made an exception for some brakes id prepurchased but gave up on due to illness after we had a chat.

In any case ive got loads of drive space, decent ramps and as long as ive got enough energy after chemo its a satisfying way to save some cash and not exactly heavy labour. 

Edited by SuperDave

4 hours ago, Ninja59 said:

How old was your car at the time and mileage wise?

Mine is just under 3 years since registration, but more like 3.5 years since build, 38k.

5 years and 60k miles when it was done. Think it had been leaking a while as I'd had a bit of coolant loss.

Mine was done at 67k, 4 years. I do recall topping up coolant once in the prior year but that wasnt the reason i took it in. They may have seen it differently however. 

Erm, is this the right thread!? 

Edited by SuperDave

My next service will be the first one I will have had to pay for on my F10 in 2.5 years of ownership. Service inclusive ran out 6 months ago.:( It's just oil I think. I want the stamp in the book so I'll be happy to pay for that. 

Mine came with a book, granted it only had one stamp in it under the previous owner. The selling dealer stamped it when they did the rear pads and fluid before I bought it.

Mine was first registered in Jan 2013, what age is yours @SuperDave?

17 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Mine was first registered in Jan 2013, what age is yours @SuperDave?

2014, its definitely no longer std practise to issue them with new cars, dealer seemed suprised i wanted to order one and it will be impossible to get a stamp for the mysterious vehicle inspection that is logged electronically as taking place after i bought the car but in Germany! 

Ive got a print of all services from bmw anyway which provides a nice summary in any case but i think I'll be saving my cash and doing diy&receipts from no on. Its quicker than going to/from the dealer and less agro. My coffee is better too. 

13 hours ago, SuperDave said:

2014, its definitely no longer std practise to issue them with new cars, dealer seemed suprised i wanted to order one and it will be impossible to get a stamp for the mysterious vehicle inspection that is logged electronically as taking place after i bought the car but in Germany! 

Ive got a print of all services from bmw anyway which provides a nice summary in any case but i think I'll be saving my cash and doing diy&receipts from no on. Its quicker than going to/from the dealer and less agro. My coffee is better too. 

The paper service book was discontinued on the F10/F11 from the 07/2013 production date.

There is a utility someone wrote for the DIYer to update the service record on the iDrive Search for: BMW-HU-ServiceManager).

For cars produced prior to 2013 you can enable the iDrive service record with ESYS but it looks like they only started uploading the details to the car during the service early in 2012.

To add the service menu option in iDrive - in ESYS (with an ENET cable attached to the OBD port) change this item to "aktiv":

HU_CIC   

3000 HMI   

SERVICE_HISTORY   

aktiv

Just to update have just come back from Newhall Caldy. checked I Drive in car and have quoted this

MOT £45.00

Labour £72.00

Oil 6.5  £64.95

Oil filter £17.58

Flush £11.00

Total with VAT £243.64

Asked about flush and about sucking oil out of dipstick and they said they recommend doing the flush

I did mention about BMW value service price listed as £260(does that include vat) plus half price mot , they did not seem bothered.

where would you go.tim.

I wouldn't go anywhere that didn't seem bothered, they will recommend the flush as the service advisers get a % of this usually as an easy up sell.

My understanding is the price they have quoted you is cheaper than the BMW value price, or have I missed something?

according to the BMW value service guide a oil change and filter is about £260 but they have offered a half price mot.

are the prices quoted on the BMW site inclusive of Vat it does not make it clear. i dont know why when they quote prices they dont always mention the VAT is extra.

when i had a shop if i had quoted prices less VAT i would have had trading standards on my back.there service departments are not a trade service.

tim

2 hours ago, oldtechnoman said:

according to the BMW value service guide a oil change and filter is about £260 but they have offered a half price mot.

are the prices quoted on the BMW site inclusive of Vat it does not make it clear. i dont know why when they quote prices they dont always mention the VAT is extra.

when i had a shop if i had quoted prices less VAT i would have had trading standards on my back.there service departments are not a trade service.

tim

Inclusive of VAT.