erv77

Spacer and tyre advice for style 95's on e39 touring?

Hi All, have sourced a set of professionally refurbed style 95's - yes, I'm so far behind the curve on this! Was after style 37's but they all appear to be ambitiously priced (or knackered), and I do think the 95's look great on the touring and I'm hoping I can cope with the ride - I only do 3k a year and most of the roads I use are good.

I think they look better if I can bring them out, i.e. fill the arches - so my question is, what size spacers do I need (not keen on reboring them), understand I need 'hubcentric' i.e. they fit the e39 hub and the 95's which aren't the correct hub size anyway. Any suggestions on make/brand and best place to get them. Also, as I'm not lowering the car, am I correct in assuming I won't need to roll my arches?

What tyre sizes should I go for - I'm looking best fit, as opposed to stretched or super wide which may then rub?

again, really appreciate any help/advice 

The smallest hubcentric spacer you'll get here in the UK for them is 15mm (74.1 to 72.6) via eBay and the likes (I'd suggest Bimecc)

However; Schmiedmann do 7mm, 9mm, 12mm and other spacers as well; not sure they do them in 74.1 to 72.6 though

The 95s are ET24 IIRC; so the 15mm spacers should be fine; they may make your tyres catch the arches though. However you can adjust the ride height on yours using INPA I think; the fronts should be fine

265 or 275/30/19 on the rears and 235 or 245/35/19s on the front should be spot on tyre wise

I'd also suggest the Mtec 82mm stud conversion too; much easier than faffing with longer bolts etc - they may be able to offer the spacers you need too. You'll find them on eBay :) 

Edited by d_a_n1979
Spelling!

Hi,

As per above from Dan. However, the rear style 95 wheels are very heavy around 17/18 KG each so your ride/handling will be negatively affected and due to the added significant weight, your suspension components/bushes would wear faster. The 'ideal' is to go with lighter than OEM/Stock wheels, so there's less unsprung weight. You might not notice the difference or maybe you will. 

Also, without lowering, and on 19's, the car will 'look like' it's sitting too high. This is the optical illusion given by the lower profile tyres. If you don't mind how it looks, then fine, however, it won't look 'right' or 'cohesive' with the car's body shape/proportions. 

Here's a side view of my Touring, I'm lowered all around by about 30mm;

DSC04653.jpg

That's on level ground as well. 

The style 95's are a concave type wheel centre and so 'suits' better on a lowered car and given the 'soft' concavity, it matches the E39's softer design aesthetic. I'd say overall though, look for better, lighter wheels than these style 95's. 

Cheers, Dennis!

FFS Dennis

Their weight will have little affect on the car; its not as if he's tracking it (are you @erv77 ) and ride height is what it is... Most folk just want the look of 19s, as a personal preference 

Just give advice on spacers as per the question; leave the technical & personal 'this would look better' cack out of it :roll: 

Hi,

Erv77 - My response above is based on the fact this is the 'Technical' section of the forum and I do prefer to give as much info as possible in case you might not be aware of potential issues. I should have included that if you do decide to stay on OEM ride height, you'll likely not have to roll or pull your arches for clearance - unless your suspension is very worn. 

Dan - Relax, remember discussion is encouraged :)

Cheers, Dennis!

Discussion is encouraged pal; but completely taking the wind out of someone sails isn't IMO

You poo-poo'd his ideas from the off; whereas you could have just said similar to what I did and left it at that...

We don't all wipe the same direction; so maybe keep things simple until asked?!

Gents, really appreciate the advice and help and I'm more than happy to hear people's opinions. You chaps are regulars on this forum and you've all spent a lot of your time helping me and others and making great contributions to this forum - so thank you!

There's no doubt the touring looks great when lowered. From what I've read I think the ride may be too harsh for me, and I've also accepted that I'll try out the 95's and that I might change my mind in the future - for the time being I'm quite happy with normal height SE spec suspension. As I'll be refreshing it, it will feel like a new car to me. It's my daily driver and I'd rather have an e30 or e36 for a track car! I'm spending c.£5k getting it back together - it's served me well for 6 years and I couldn't bear to get rid of it (plus I'll never hear the end of it if I have two cars!).