Geordie

Geordie's 1989 530i SE auto

I've been a member on here for a while, since I had my lovely E60 530d a few years ago. That was a lovely car, and was my first BMW. I've owned over 60 cars now, but I've just acquired my second beemer, so here's some pics and info on my recently acquired new whip....1989 (G) 530i with 128k miles covered.

On the day I got it...

HqEatik.jpg

y5tDIym.jpg

wffd6fx.jpg

NuDOdbN.jpg

4vPXndc.jpg

The lovely Ford Probe I swapped for the E34...

lJuBnS8.jpg

Not mant 1989 530i SE auto's left now it seems...

KVvVmeR.jpg

Hmmm..

3E8Jz9S.jpg

Four new tyres were fitted!

OThlIhk.jpg

Despite looking shiny on the pics, the paint was a bit rough and flat, so as usual when I get a new car, I clay barred it...pulled off quite a bit of cr*p....

fF7j9wN.jpg

55EzZRB.jpg

Once that is done, I always use Super Resin Polish, then seal it and wax it. It's started to look better already....

9DQE4Qy.jpg

zbbEpYN.jpg

tFgauIu.jpg

G07N82W.jpg

rO1baJW.jpg

wqZ7LLM.jpg

It's definately not mint though. There's some little rusty stone chips and marks to sort at some point....

cOjFRCH.jpg

4Ejd6Ki.jpg

CotRtzk.jpg

xKTRdzK.jpg

fwDLYBJ.jpg

oqP6AUq.jpg

Y4Lol9Z.jpg

I think I know me well enough to think these will all be sorted in time.

Other issues that need sorting:

Needs tyres - sorted with four new tyres 03/08/18

NS headlight bulb had blown - replaced by new bulb, still dead. Fuse 10 replaced and all good 03/08/18

NSR door remains locked and won't unlock manually - to sort

OSR door doesn't work off central locking, although pulls up and unlocks manually - to sort

Slight steering wheel wobble under braking - possible warped discs? - to sort

Factory audio head unit to be sourced and fitted - to sort

Latch on toolbox in boot is broken - to sort

Blow from backbox, caused by this I should think....

dGRLcqZ.jpg

...so replacement backbox to source and fit - to sort

Looks good and solid underneath. Original brake pipes still?

eUQXjh0.jpg

Engine bay needs a bit of a clean but I've seen worse....

JtuR9nE.jpg

owiSTQN.jpg

8ohu3Sr.jpg

YLUMRqt.jpg

swuMqAY.jpg

DyFqfDc.jpg

O7Jbbpd.jpg

gTRbG30.jpg

My wife took it up to central Scotland yesterday, and said it drove well. She took a couple of pics when she got there...

TIcLx4C.jpg

2krozYB.jpg

goXQWtV.jpg

LY8XPXV.jpg

Eubcz7d.jpg

So I'm sat here on a day off work, and the car is 200 miles away! Oh well, I'll just have to write a thread on it and look at the pics for now.....

Cracking car and pictures @Geordie 

I'll have a project like this soon I think; keep finding myself looking at E34s! Should have bought that 525i that was up a few weeks ago; it looked immaculate and went for less than it was advertised! :roll: 

1 hour ago, duncan-uk said:

Wobble is likely track control arm bushes rather than discs. 

Thanks for that Duncan. The wobble is there for about half a second, then seems to go. I'll have a look into it.

My wife took the 530i up to Biggar in Scotlans this weekend, and reported that it drove very well apart from half an hour or so when it was quite hesitant and wouldn't go above 50mph. I think it has something to do with running out of fuel on the second morning (I didn't know how little fuel there was, and was on my way to the filling station). On that morning, I filled it with a couple of litres from a can, took it to fill up, and found that it was very hesitant after filling up. I pulled over, gave it a few revs and it seemed to clear itself. It's been ok for a few days until todays episode down the A74 with Julie. My feeling is that when it ran out of fuel, it's pulled some crud through the lines and it might be blocking the filter? Anyway, I'm pricing up a new filter to see if it helps. Filled it with VPower upon her return today, hoping that might help the injectors.

Anyway, I was able to wash it, and give it another coat of wax, then clean and detail it internally. Looks better every time I spend an hour on it....

OwMf2dg.jpg

Mx94dVi.jpg

uTmoGam.jpg

sga3Q3G.jpg

NlmpbSh.jpg

QxaUmUZ.jpg

zYtacsB.jpg

7qt1zOh.jpg

FHcmNQe.jpg

3MFh5gg.jpg

blZKkDG.jpg

Congrats on a fine looking e34. Narrow Grille and M30 ftw. ;)

Mini photo shoot alert... my Black e34 and your White e34 would look great parked up together.

C.

The issue with the two door's are most likely to be the actuator's

20 hours ago, cableguy said:

Congrats on a fine looking e34. Narrow Grille and M30 ftw. ;)

Mini photo shoot alert... my Black e34 and your White e34 would look great parked up together.

C.

Sounds like a plan mate. Where are you based?

12 hours ago, Tims said:

The issue with the two door's are most likely to be the actuator's

Thanks, they're on the list of things to have a look into.

27 minutes ago, Geordie said:

Sounds like a plan mate. Where are you based?

15mins down the road in Marton/Nunthorpe. ;)

C.

1 hour ago, cableguy said:

15mins down the road in Marton/Nunthorpe. ;)

C.

The plan becomes more appealing, and logistically easier,  by the minute....

The spare tyre had seen better days. I had a feeling that a plug repair might not be enough....

RrA9WEx.jpg

...so it now has a new tyre.

I think I've sourced a fix for the blowing exhaust. Picking it up tomorrow. How good is it to be in the right place at the right time?......

8XaXF3Q.jpg

ch2xeLX.jpg

kgmzl89.jpg

usLg8XF.jpg

On 10 August 2018 at 10:08 AM, Nomis said:

WOW! What the hell happened to that tyre? Looks like somebody’s driven 10 miles on it flat. 

I know. Mad isn't it!

Little update.

The Scorpion couldn't sit on the back seat for too long, so I took it into my mates garage to get it up on the ramps...

mRDLWef.jpg

I know which one I'd rather have...

dwRv6sf.jpg

Original old and holed system......

Vp0Me3p.jpg

off.....

D8v0mTU.jpg

EYFkNHI.jpg

7PIyNDw.jpg

Middle section on...

YLCmhO5.jpg

and rear section on ....

RwSv7ey.jpg

86mTcdq.jpg

yx9GNbm.jpg

ni0SyjO.jpg

Looks, and sounds, sweet. Love the upward flick on the tailpipes....

DHZcQLi.jpg

c9So9zQ.jpg

gwXoFGj.jpg

Later on yesterday, I spent half an hour under the bonnet cleaning down the engine a bit....

VQWt09X.jpg

Noticed a little split...

hH2tisl.jpg

OvmNHtU.jpg

Possibly, along with a blowing exhaust, an ingredient in the intermittent lumpy, hesitant running issue?? I've taped it up now to see if there's an improvement. It actually drove very nicely after the exhaust was fitted yesterday, but it was never an issue that was there all the time.

I was hoping to take it to it's first show today at Raby Castle, but the weather was set in wet and grey for the day, so I didn't bother, and hence I'm not sure if the running issue will return. Time will tell.

22 hours ago, cableguy said:

Nice work, coming along nicely...

Them tailpipes look mahooooooosive… :shock:

C.

Yeah got to be said I'm not a massive fan of that Scorpion back box either, looks a bit chav if I'm being honest but each to their own! But then again I'm sad and much prefer the oem look, as I feel my boy racer days are well and truly behind me!! Still, lovely E34 but I just personally feel that dtm upswept style pipe doesn't suit the car at all.... That nice clean white bumper trim will probably turn a nice shade of soot before long....:ph34r:

1 hour ago, boiliebasher said:

Yeah got to be said I'm not a massive fan of that Scorpion back box either, looks a bit chav if I'm being honest but each to their own! But then again I'm sad and much prefer the oem look, as I feel my boy racer days are well and truly behind me!! Still, lovely E34 but I just personally feel that dtm upswept style pipe doesn't suit the car at all.... That nice clean white bumper trim will probably turn a nice shade of soot before long....:ph34r:

I'll see how I get on with the exhaust. To be honest, the OEM one on the car was blowing badly, and the Scorpion was available at a stupidly low price, so it was a no-brainer for now.

If the upswept DTM's prove a little too much, then a good exhaust builder should be able to remove the tips from the box and stainless weld some more appropriate/OEM looking tips in their place.

There's a good stainless exhaust builder over in Darlington IIRC. ;)

C.