Zaid

Road noise

My g31 on 19" Continental runflats is some way better for roadnoise than my old F10 that had 18" runflats.  Tyre widths are identical.

Im not sure whether i can notice a bit more sound leak from the door or not - agree the seals seem poorer and metal probably thinner still for weight saving - the doors are also a different construction though - the 4" mid speaker is mounted onto the door itself with the back open in the g30 so theoretically noise could be transmitted via the speaker cone from the cavity to the cabin. On the f10 the speaker mounted to the back of the door card and the door panel behind was sealed and shaped to accomodate the speaker magnet. 

Mine isn't all that quiet either, even when stationary a lot more sound gets through then in my previous car ... and that was a coupe with frameless windows.

I already put some gummipflege on the seals, didn't do much.  I can sometimes feel cold wind on my knee from the space between the dashboard and the driver's door, so there's a  trouble area right there.

Most of the noise seems to get through from the back.

The other day I was waiting in the car while watching a TV show (from an usb stick), not loud at all, got out to get something from the boot and was surprised how hard I could still hear everything outside with all doors closed ...  people walking past my car must have thought I was some incosiderate douchebag with loud music on :)
Not impressed with BMW's "premium" car so far in terms of soundproofing, perhaps it being a 530e they skimped on even more sound dampening materials to save weight.

On 11/02/2019 at 19:46, Zaid said:

Here are some pictures of the additional seals that I put around the drive side door. 

The first one is on the pillar between the front and rear door. Second is on the door side edge. Third one is on door top side. I did have a couple more but this gives you an idea. The same applies for the passenger side. 

I was getting annoyed of how loud passing cars sounded particularly on rainy days. This certainly did the trick and also helped in reducing some of the road noise. 

Apologies for the low quality pictures, it was quite dark when I got home. 

DSC_0201.JPG

DSC_0203.JPG

DSC_0202.JPG

Where did you get the seals ?

Does it stop the squeak when door bounces on the catch ?  

brighter pictures of you have some please 

7 hours ago, Hybrid5 said:

Mine isn't all that quiet either, even when stationary a lot more sound gets through then in my previous car ... and that was a coupe with frameless windows.

I already put some gummipflege on the seals, didn't do much.  I can sometimes feel cold wind on my knee from the space between the dashboard and the driver's door, so there's a  trouble area right there.

Most of the noise seems to get through from the back.

The other day I was waiting in the car while watching a TV show (from an usb stick), not loud at all, got out to get something from the boot and was surprised how hard I could still hear everything outside with all doors closed ...  people walking past my car must have thought I was some incosiderate douchebag with loud music on :)
Not impressed with BMW's "premium" car so far in terms of soundproofing, perhaps it being a 530e they skimped on even more sound dampening materials to save weight.

I think they lost the meaning of the word premium apart from when totting up the price 

On 11/02/2019 at 19:46, Zaid said:

Here are some pictures of the additional seals that I put around the drive side door. 

The first one is on the pillar between the front and rear door. Second is on the door side edge. Third one is on door top side. I did have a couple more but this gives you an idea. The same applies for the passenger side. 

I was getting annoyed of how loud passing cars sounded particularly on rainy days. This certainly did the trick and also helped in reducing some of the road noise. 

Apologies for the low quality pictures, it was quite dark when I got home. 

DSC_0201.JPG

DSC_0203.JPG

DSC_0202.JPG

Shocking having to do this on premium car, BMW should hang their heads in shame.

On 09/08/2018 at 13:37, Chris Margetts said:

i have 20s and Goodyear asym 3's in my G31 and have found it to be fine. Quieter than my F11 on Goodyear Excellence ROFs...

Same here, i have not found road noise to be an issue at all. 

Me neither. G31 520D with 19” on Pirelli runonflats and I can’t say I notice much noise unless on rough ‘non-slip’ surfacing.

Edited by Boba

I have done some quantitative analysis:

Installed Decibel X app (SkyPaw Co. Ltd) on iPhone 7 Plus and used to measure the dB following the procedure described below.

records are reset before each measurement. Each measurement lasts for 60 seconds. Average reading is used.

Room: a Double glazed ground floor room, no fridges etc (no artificial noise). This can be used as a reference for different users to calibrate the readings.

Cars

Polo: a 15 Years old 3-cylinder VW Polo 1.2L

530d: 1 year old BMW 530d SE

Results

Room: 40 (-+8)

In cars driver seat engine off:

Polo 58 (-+8)

530d 55 (-+7)

In cars driver seat engine on, idle

Polo 68 (-+3)

530d 75 (-+1)

I have also measured on roads, but this can be only indicative, not really reliable

530d, 50mph

new road: 75

old road: 85

Edited by ZCW

1 hour ago, bmwf113.0d said:

I have a calibrated dB meter @ work, but never even though of measuring the cars. 

Google says that different people may be sensitive to different type of noise . I am particular sentive to the road noise. When driving on old road surface , the noise is really unbearable.