Zaid

Road noise

Hi all, I have just picked up a G30 530d Msport with 20 inch wheels and Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 tyres. My old F10 530d which had 19 inch wheels with Dunlop tyres was quite on all roads. I seem to get quite a bit of road noise at around 30 mph. All tyres have 5-6 mm on them. Has anyone experienced a similar problem? Any advice what could be the issue?

1 hour ago, microcar said:

If you have 20 and low profile tyres you will get more Road noise. 

+1 to the Above. Also, check the tyre ratings for both, could be that the Goodyear’s are much louder in terms of dB rating.

On 8/5/2018 at 8:51 PM, sjak92 said:

+1 to the Above. Also, check the tyre ratings for both, could be that the Goodyear’s are much louder in terms of dB rating.

Thanks, the rating of Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 is 71dB. Dunlops are 66dB.

Having done a lot of googling before making this post, I haven't found a single post complaining about the road noise from Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3.

I am thinking to either replace the Good Year with Dunlops or buy a new set of 19 inch wheels.

19’s will be better, but 5db is a big big difference. 

In in terms of wheels, want to swap? I have 19’s :ph34r:

1 hour ago, sjak92 said:

In in terms of wheels, want to swap? I have 19’s :ph34r:

Would have loved to but car is on finance so if i do decide to change the wheels annoyingly  i will have to put the 20 inch wheels back at the end of the agreement!

I have booked an appointment with the dealership to investigate the excessive road noise. 

Ah you see that’s what I thought when someone offered me wheel swaps on here so I asked my dealer how it impacts a PCP. 

Apparently, they care more about the tyre tread than the actual wheel as long as it’s oem and from the same model range.

makes sense in theory but checking with BMW FS would be best choice 

17 hours ago, sjak92 said:

Biggish, maybe, but very difficult to quantify. +5db is between 3 and 4 times greater 'noise power'.

The problems are though that it's measured externally not inside the car, different tyres make different 'sorts' of noise, people hear different sorts of noise differently, and different people have different sensitivities to 'noise power'. I've read that (for HiFi) it typically takes +10db to sound twice as loud (which is another big, big difference ;) ).

Typical EU faffing IMHO, but I suppose it IS true to say that a higher db rating will sound 'a bit' noisier.

Edited by Boba

On 8/7/2018 at 2:52 PM, Boba said:

Biggish, maybe, but very difficult to quantify. +5db is between 3 and 4 times greater 'noise power'.

The problems are though that it's measured externally not inside the car, different tyres make different 'sorts' of noise, people hear different sorts of noise differently, and different people have different sensitivities to 'noise power'. I've read that (for HiFi) it typically takes +10db to sound twice as loud (which is another big, big difference ;) ).

Typical EU faffing IMHO, but I suppose it IS true to say that a higher db rating will sound 'a bit' noisier.

Thanks Boba.. I take your point..  5dB in theory is quite a lot in theory but yes it can be perceived differently by different people. I wish was never noise sensitive person!

8 hours ago, Chris Margetts said:

i have 20s and Goodyear asym 3's in my G31 and have found it to be fine. Quieter than my F11 on Goodyear Excellence ROFs...

Thanks Chris. Good to know. Do you know by any chance what is your tyre pressure setup please?

2.2 all around for me and (i think that's recommended as well) on 19's. 

The hire 330d I had the other day was pumped to 3.6 rear and 3.2 front running 18's!!! 

Thanks all..

A quick update: I have tried changing the tire pressures a number of times today to see if it would improve things but unfortunately the road noise hasn't change at all. I therefore decided to give the tyres a good look, around and this is what I found:

This first picture is of rear driver side, the only thing I have noticed is that tire cupping in the middle compared to the second picture below which I found on the net, would you agree or is this normal wear and tear? 

DSC_0407.thumb.JPG.6a8d3fe8f50d6dee8e2e483a18c53912.JPG

ex1.thumb.JPG.7495e67362778efd72b796c4d8a91b4c.JPG

On the front, the passenger side seems to have some feathering going on or is this normal wear and tear?

DSC_0413.thumb.JPG.b510fe80717cd49b834e0cd67418580d.JPGDSC_0410.thumb.JPG.56e515d571da0ab712c7cf0953ef2218.JPG

Front passenger side seems fine:

DSC_0412.thumb.JPG.e50262eb32a1cb515a292a6aa93147ee.JPG

Hope someone can advice, cheers!

Edited by Zaid