Vee

2001 E39 M5 - SOLD

I'm so tempted to come and have a look at this car. M5 ownership is an absolute bucket list item for me at this point and I'm in a position to be able to afford it - and this seems like an honest, really well maintained example for a great price. I'm just concerned about the potential cost. How long will they be available at this price before starting to sky rocket?

What is a realistic, serious budget to maintain one of these to a good standard each year? I'm already running two E39's and lavishing parts and maintenance on them almost continually so I'm no stranger to opening my wallet to maintain one but I'm just conscious that parts for M5's are going to cost more than they do for the 6 pots...

2 hours ago, chicaneuk said:

I'm so tempted to come and have a look at this car. M5 ownership is an absolute bucket list item for me at this point and I'm in a position to be able to afford it - and this seems like an honest, really well maintained example for a great price. I'm just concerned about the potential cost. How long will they be available at this price before starting to sky rocket?

What is a realistic, serious budget to maintain one of these to a good standard each year? I'm already running two E39's and lavishing parts and maintenance on them almost continually so I'm no stranger to opening my wallet to maintain one but I'm just conscious that parts for M5's are going to cost more than they do for the 6 pots...

IMO for a car like this; that has clearly been maintained very well indeed; the running costs will be similar to what you're paying now

However; things are more expensive on these if they do come to fail (ie. water pumps, brakes etc); but again, on a well looked after example, these shouldn't be a worry

Like you; I would have seriously been tempted by this before I bought my 7 series... The only niggle for me would have been going to back to a manual car rather than an auto; but that's personal preference, as like you said, an E39 M5 is a bucket list kind of car

If you've got the £££ to afford this; I wouldn't hang around, I'd get it seen and bought as the prices are only going one way currently. So looked after, this car will be an investment IMO

I haven't found maintenance to be overly expensive as long as you keep on top of it. If you are savvy with sourcing parts most can be obtained independently from BMW, but if you do need to get parts from BMW and don't mind asking they will discount too. Servicing wise a good BMW independent will likely know these older cars better than BMW francises and be cheaper to boot.

3 hours ago, chicaneuk said:

This seems like a really good car to me, if I didnt already have one I would be going to have a look. Loads of big ticket items have been replaced and the car looks well looked after.

The cost to maintain an M5 is largely governed by how well the previous owner has looked after it. I don't think parts are that bad in general and big savings can be made by being savvy as already pointed out. A well looked after car doesn't have to be a wallet wilter at all.

On 8/15/2018 at 9:29 AM, chicaneuk said:

Do it! You definitely won't regret it :) This one is a total steal if I didn't already have an Alpina i'd buy this.

Compared to others on the market this looks like a steal.  If you've ever even thought about getting one then don't miss this opportunity!  If my insurance valuation is anything to go by, you won't be able to get a decent E39 M5 at sensible money for much longer.

17 minutes ago, Vee said:

It seems like this forum attracts a far more realistic (and articulate) clientele!

Really? In it? What’s the best cash money price now, blood? 

It ain’t for me init, but I know a geezer that’s got a cozin that no’s about this type of shitzzle....

ya get me? ;) 

:lol:

I just got an insurance quote of £800 which I think is a bit much TBH. I might have to rethink my E39 M5 dream for a few years.

On 8/25/2018 at 1:00 PM, Nomis said:

E39 M5........ one car I've always wanted but has so far eluded me. Swap for my E92? :D

If it's a 335i I could be tempted ;)

2 hours ago, Vee said:

If it's a 335i I could be tempted ;)

Nah, better than that! :lol: Mapped 330d :ph34r:

I was looking for a 335i before I bought mine but the more I read about the turbo issues they all suffer from the more I got cold feet so reluctantly I went to see mine because the spec was right. As soon as I felt the torque all my doubts went away. Easily 40+ mpg is also a bonus.

On 8/26/2018 at 5:13 PM, Nomis said:

Nah, better than that! :lol: Mapped 330d :ph34r:

I was looking for a 335i before I bought mine but the more I read about the turbo issues they all suffer from the more I got cold feet so reluctantly I went to see mine because the spec was right. As soon as I felt the torque all my doubts went away. Easily 40+ mpg is also a bonus.

Sounds great but not for me, thanks Nomis. :)

On 8/30/2018 at 10:10 AM, samm said:

Is this still available?

I'm looking at 540i's but if you dont take a leap once in a while your not really alive!

Indeed, you only live once! Still available Samm.

5 hours ago, boiliebasher said:

Can't believe this hasn't sold yet.... GLWTS

Me too, it's ok people fawning over it and commenting on how good value it is - someone needs to buy it!

I'm getting a bit cheesed off with lowball offers and time wasters, I'm tempted to take it off the market and enjoy it a bit longer. I wonder if the cheap price is putting people off, it's in the 'dog-zone' and perhaps that's what people expect?

28 minutes ago, Vee said:

Me too, it's ok people fawning over it and commenting on how good value it is - someone needs to buy it!

I'm getting a bit cheesed off with lowball offers and time wasters, I'm tempted to take it off the market and enjoy it a bit longer. I wonder if the cheap price is putting people off, it's in the 'dog-zone' and perhaps that's what people expect?

Maybe, but any serious enthusiast will realise that it's a good deal and will give you the money it deserves. IMHO you've just been unlucky and just haven't had the right buyer come and take a look at it yet..... Either stick to your guns or take it off the market and enjoy that bit longer but, problem being is that in a couple of month's time people will be thinking about xmas related stuff and buying an M5 probably won't be on top of the shopping list....

Yes, a colleague sent it to me earlier, thanks :) Good exposure indeed! It does highlight the ridiculous chasm between 'normal' E39 M5's and those with low miles and high prices. 

I would love to buy it now Vee.

I tried to send you a pm explaining that i'm just not in the position to purchase at present.

I'm looking at these all the time with a hope to gauge what's out there at the lower end of the price range. I'll be hopefully somewhere closer to buying one in the early part of next year. 

If you do keep hold of it due to time wasters, please contact me for first dibs! 

Your car looks stunning and a credit to you and previous owners.