Vee

2001 E39 M5 for sale - £8250

I'm so tempted to come and have a look at this car. M5 ownership is an absolute bucket list item for me at this point and I'm in a position to be able to afford it - and this seems like an honest, really well maintained example for a great price. I'm just concerned about the potential cost. How long will they be available at this price before starting to sky rocket?

What is a realistic, serious budget to maintain one of these to a good standard each year? I'm already running two E39's and lavishing parts and maintenance on them almost continually so I'm no stranger to opening my wallet to maintain one but I'm just conscious that parts for M5's are going to cost more than they do for the 6 pots...

2 hours ago, chicaneuk said:

I'm so tempted to come and have a look at this car. M5 ownership is an absolute bucket list item for me at this point and I'm in a position to be able to afford it - and this seems like an honest, really well maintained example for a great price. I'm just concerned about the potential cost. How long will they be available at this price before starting to sky rocket?

What is a realistic, serious budget to maintain one of these to a good standard each year? I'm already running two E39's and lavishing parts and maintenance on them almost continually so I'm no stranger to opening my wallet to maintain one but I'm just conscious that parts for M5's are going to cost more than they do for the 6 pots...

IMO for a car like this; that has clearly been maintained very well indeed; the running costs will be similar to what you're paying now

However; things are more expensive on these if they do come to fail (ie. water pumps, brakes etc); but again, on a well looked after example, these shouldn't be a worry

Like you; I would have seriously been tempted by this before I bought my 7 series... The only niggle for me would have been going to back to a manual car rather than an auto; but that's personal preference, as like you said, an E39 M5 is a bucket list kind of car

If you've got the £££ to afford this; I wouldn't hang around, I'd get it seen and bought as the prices are only going one way currently. So looked after, this car will be an investment IMO

I haven't found maintenance to be overly expensive as long as you keep on top of it. If you are savvy with sourcing parts most can be obtained independently from BMW, but if you do need to get parts from BMW and don't mind asking they will discount too. Servicing wise a good BMW independent will likely know these older cars better than BMW francises and be cheaper to boot.

3 hours ago, chicaneuk said:

This seems like a really good car to me, if I didnt already have one I would be going to have a look. Loads of big ticket items have been replaced and the car looks well looked after.

The cost to maintain an M5 is largely governed by how well the previous owner has looked after it. I don't think parts are that bad in general and big savings can be made by being savvy as already pointed out. A well looked after car doesn't have to be a wallet wilter at all.

On 8/15/2018 at 9:29 AM, chicaneuk said:

Do it! You definitely won't regret it :) This one is a total steal if I didn't already have an Alpina i'd buy this.

Compared to others on the market this looks like a steal.  If you've ever even thought about getting one then don't miss this opportunity!  If my insurance valuation is anything to go by, you won't be able to get a decent E39 M5 at sensible money for much longer.