apples12

Replacing LCI xenon bulbs - nonsense from dealer

Hi all

One of my xenon bulbs on my LCI has begun to take on a purplish hue indicating it's on its way out, does anyone have any recommendations for a good replacement?

I'm looking at the Philips Xtreme vision gen2 or the osram night breaker ultimates at the moment

Rant below...

Rang the dealer for a quote ( won't name them just yet) and was told by the service tech that it would need to be booked in for a diagnostic at £99 to determine if the bulb needed replacing followed by £293 just for labour, I had to stop him there and say I can quite clearly see the bulb is on its way out why do I need to pay you to diagnose a failing bulb - response 'the master tech advises that we do a diagnostic as it could be the module and the headlights are very complicated on these models so we we insist on a diagnostic check'....needless to say I ended that call sharpish, I didn't realise BMW headlights where so special!

It's seems to be the generic response these days....I had the same for my partners Z4 which was obviously in transport mode and the aircon wasn't working since a new battery was installed.  They also wanted £99 to determine the issue and further labour to remove transport mode ontop! So as they wanted 3-4 times the price of everyone else they lost the business unfortunately despite me asking several times for a quote just to remove transport mode. 

Did you get as far as a price for the actual bulb? Eye watering I expect. I replaced them on my z4 a year or so ago after one did exactly as you describe, turned purpley pink in colour.

As for the diagnostic fee, I once phoned to book my m3 in for a rear spring replacement, the advisor on the phone said I'd have to pay a diagnostic charge and when questioned why, very sarcastically said 'well what makes you think it needs changing'. When I responded that I had half of it in my hand his attitude suddenly changed and there was no fee!

11 hours ago, apples12 said:

Hi all

One of my xenon bulbs on my LCI has begun to take on a purplish hue indicating it's on its way out, does anyone have any recommendations for a good replacement?

I'm looking at the Philips Xtreme vision gen2 or the osram night breaker ultimates at the moment

Rant below...

Rang the dealer for a quote ( won't name them just yet) and was told by the service tech that it would need to be booked in for a diagnostic at £99 to determine if the bulb needed replacing followed by £293 just for labour, I had to stop him there and say I can quite clearly see the bulb is on its way out why do I need to pay you to diagnose a failing bulb - response 'the master tech advises that we do a diagnostic as it could be the module and the headlights are very complicated on these models so we we insist on a diagnostic check'....needless to say I ended that call sharpish, I didn't realise BMW headlights where so special!

In Ireland we have a thing called BMW First, for €4.99 a month you get various perks, one of them being free bulb replacement!

4 hours ago, sjj84 said:

Did you get as far as a price for the actual bulb? Eye watering I expect. I replaced them on my z4 a year or so ago after one did exactly as you describe, turned purpley pink in colour.

As for the diagnostic fee, I once phoned to book my m3 in for a rear spring replacement, the advisor on the phone said I'd have to pay a diagnostic charge and when questioned why, very sarcastically said 'well what makes you think it needs changing'. When I responded that I had half of it in my hand his attitude suddenly changed and there was no fee!

Nope I had to stop him in his tracks and clarify why I needed a diagnostic check to tell me a bulb wasn't working, hardly rocket science!

Decided for that labour price alone I can get a set of d1s bulbs and fit myself on the drive, I know someone's done it on here via the wheel arch but easier to take the whole liner out...

Don't really want to do it the 'official' way which involves taking the whole front bumper out!

And yup, it's an LCI so xenons

2 hours ago, SuperDave said:

Isn't it a HID if its LCI, or do you have standard halogen bulbs? 

Either

I went for these on my car

https://www.powerbulbs.com/product/osram-xenarc-cool-blue-intense-d1s-twin

However mine is 2011 so pre LCI i believe, was easy enough to change via the wheel arch flap turning lock to lock but be warned if the cap isnt put back on correctly water can get in a ruin the unit so be careful and take your time..

I also believe on LCI the screw cap is locked in place by 4 torx screws one of which is impossible to get at without removing headlight so most people have just broke this one off.

I have heard of module failures but this is generally reported in I-Drive so dont bother with diags, besides, if you replace the bulbs which are the same cost as the DIAG and they are still pink you will know its the module!!! 

EDIT, just seen it mentioned to remove the wheel arch liner, only do this if you have the TORX screws, otherwise its a waste of time, took me 20 mins total to do both mine having never touched a BMW for anything before...

Edited by Greenninja

22 hours ago, Greenninja said:

I went for these on my car

https://www.powerbulbs.com/product/osram-xenarc-cool-blue-intense-d1s-twin

However mine is 2011 so pre LCI i believe, was easy enough to change via the wheel arch flap turning lock to lock but be warned if the cap isnt put back on correctly water can get in a ruin the unit so be careful and take your time..

I also believe on LCI the screw cap is locked in place by 4 torx screws one of which is impossible to get at without removing headlight so most people have just broke this one off.

I have heard of module failures but this is generally reported in I-Drive so dont bother with diags, besides, if you replace the bulbs which are the same cost as the DIAG and they are still pink you will know its the module!!! 

EDIT, just seen it mentioned to remove the wheel arch liner, only do this if you have the TORX screws, otherwise its a waste of time, took me 20 mins total to do both mine having never touched a BMW for anything before...

Hi

Could you clarify what you mean about the torx screws?

My plan at the moment is to change the bulbs the same time I do my front brake pads so wheels will be off to allow easier access to the arch liner and the back of the headlight.

This could be fun

The cover on the headlight to access the bulbs is secured with 4 Torx t20 screws. Like @Greenninja said its impossible to get to the last one unless you break off the cover, which i ended up doing as i wasn't in the place and with the tools to remove the bumper. 

On the wheel arch liner itself there's an access flap secured by a phillips screw so there's no need to remove the whole thing unless you really want to. you can see from the pic below the screw on the top left is still there as i took off the cover.  I would do it the right way if you can, however if you do it as i did, you need to make sure it is still sealed with just 3 screws in place and use duck tape if necessary to avoid water/condensation and ruining the LED module:

IMG_20170614_191055.thumb.jpg.2d4344b1215dfa77f1f6394245564a88.jpg

Also, OSRAM D1S Original Xenarc is the OEM builbs. I upgraded to the CBI (Cool blue intense) bulbs in mine.

Edited by IINexusII

5 hours ago, RightHandGoose said:

I have June 2007 lci Facelift touring and one of my angel eyes are out. Is the bulb removable... E61 

You probably want to post in the E60/61 forum to get relevant answers. Have you looked at newtis.info?

16 hours ago, RightHandGoose said:

I have June 2007 lci Facelift touring and one of my angel eyes are out. Is the bulb removable... E61 

Yes they are... and they're an utter git to do. I did post on them in the E60/61 forum when I still had mine last year, but essentially the reflector, bulb and holder are a one piece item twist fitted low between the two main lamps. You can cut back the plastic weld to replace the bulb (as I did) or replace with one of the many aftermarket LED upgrades.

Simplest was to go involves removing the headlamp unit.

On 8/1/2018 at 9:11 PM, IINexusII said:

The cover on the headlight to access the bulbs is secured with 4 Torx t20 screws. Like @Greenninja said its impossible to get to the last one unless you break off the cover, which i ended up doing as i wasn't in the place and with the tools to remove the bumper. 

On the wheel arch liner itself there's an access flap secured by a phillips screw so there's no need to remove the whole thing unless you really want to. you can see from the pic below the screw on the top left is still there as i took off the cover.  I would do it the right way if you can, however if you do it as i did, you need to make sure it is still sealed with just 3 screws in place and use duck tape if necessary to avoid water/condensation and ruining the LED module:

IMG_20170614_191055.thumb.jpg.2d4344b1215dfa77f1f6394245564a88.jpg

Also, OSRAM D1S Original Xenarc is the OEM builbs. I upgraded to the CBI (Cool blue intense) bulbs in mine.

Aside from aesthetics did you notice any benefit in night time driving with the CBI?

I upgraded to cbi on my old golf and they looked fantastic but right now I'd prefer something with a longer 'throw' or a more intense beam, the Philips xv2 seem to be getting really good reviews

On 8/5/2018 at 9:49 AM, apples12 said:

Aside from aesthetics did you notice any benefit in night time driving with the CBI?

I upgraded to cbi on my old golf and they looked fantastic but right now I'd prefer something with a longer 'throw' or a more intense beam, the Philips xv2 seem to be getting really good reviews

I cant really say 100% because one of the bulbs were on their way out shorly after i bought the car, but according to the OSRAM specs the CBI gives a slight light distance than the standard bulbs while having a more crisp white look. its not as blue as people would expect which is what i like.

OSRAM Nightbreakers are the ones designed for the longest distance. I have found CBI has more than enough lighting at night and am very happy with them. Never tried Philips myself.

4 hours ago, IINexusII said:

I cant really say 100% because one of the bulbs were on their way out shorly after i bought the car, but according to the OSRAM specs the CBI gives a slight light distance than the standard bulbs while having a more crisp white look. its not as blue as people would expect which is what i like.

OSRAM Nightbreakers are the ones designed for the longest distance. I have found CBI has more than enough lighting at night and am very happy with them. Never tried Philips myself.

Order placed for a pair of xv2's via lichtex.de

Can vaguely remember from my golf with it being horrid in the rain as the light wouldn't penetrate and it being a common issue with the Kelvin rating ..

Will update in due course

If you're doing this on your driveway, disconnect the battery before starting. 

5 hours ago, sjak92 said:

If you're doing this on your driveway, disconnect the battery before starting. 

Why?..

Haven't had to do this with any other car on which I've changed a xenon bulb before...

1 minute ago, apples12 said:

Why?..

Haven't had to do this with any other car on which I've changed a xenon bulb before...

Better be safe than sorry, much higher risk of damaging the bulb electrics and yourself if still on. Plus it will never store an error with the bulbs when battery disconnected. 

finally did this today

don't even bother trying to do it via the access hatch in the wheel well, unless your a contortionist and are happy to snap the cover off as the 4th screw (as stated above) is a pain to get to.

ended up taking the front bumper off, 4th inner most rear headlight bulb is a pain to get to - didnt even attempt to refit it. 

philips xv2 bulbs fitted - will get some night time pictures up later