pidgeonpost

Importing mobile numbers to iDrive

50 minutes ago, dj1233 said:

it should link to your contact book in your phone. 

Thanks, that's what I expected. I'm pretty sure it grabbed and imported my contacts off the old phone, but when I replaced it that didn't seem to happen. I'll have to have a dig around.

When you link to your phone via bluetooth, the phone should prompt you to allow access to your phonebook.  I'd suggest deleting the pairing from the phone and try again.

When the phones linked on mine I can save it to the car as well, guess that still counts as 1 by 1 though.

22 minutes ago, Dotcom1970 said:

When you link to your phone via bluetooth, the phone should prompt you to allow access to your phonebook.  I'd suggest deleting the pairing from the phone and try again.

Just deleted car from phone and turned b/t off, then deleted phone from car and cycled b/t off/on. Then went through 'Pair new phone' process which prompts you to start pairing on phone, all of which went OK, PIN accepted, pairing successful, and during the process the phone display shows the contacts checkbox which is ticked. All worked fine - but no contacts imported. Also tried pushing the contacts from the phone by sharing them via b/t. It tries but looks like car rejects it.

I've read a couple of posts on Android forum where others have had problems after Android updates. Anyway, for now it trucketh not. :lol:

4 minutes ago, GoNz0 said:

When the phones linked on mine I can save it to the car as well, guess that still counts as 1 by 1 though.

Yes I think that once you've dialled and made a call you can assign a contact name to the number.

1 minute ago, pidgeonpost said:

Yes I think that once you've dialled and made a call you can assign a contact name to the number.

Don't know if my CIC differs but I click options and save to car (something like that) and it will save it as is.

On 7/27/2018 at 9:28 PM, GoNz0 said:

Don't know if my CIC differs but I click options and save to car (something like that) and it will save it as is.

Unfortunately I have the older CCC system which doesn't seem to offer this. Haven't got round to investigating further yet. Bit of a pain though.

It could be an Android problem.  My 2003 530d has the old idrive system but it paired immediately with the early iphone 5 I use and transfered and stored all my numbers without me doing anything.

Back in 2009.........

Depends on the phone.  Not all phones have the facility to do full phone book transfer with particular cars.

My E60, I could get full phone book transfer on my works Blackberry.  Did not work on a Nokia E51, but then worked with my iPhone.

When it didn't work with my Nokia E51, I managed to find out fromt he BMW website that my phone would not offer the transfer with my E60.

From an old forum I frequented, 

http://www.bavarian-board.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=44596

Sorry link within the above post is broken now.

2 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Back in 2009.........

Depends on the phone.  Not all phones have the facility to do full phone book transfer with particular cars.

Thanks Andrew - you're right, phones and cars are picky. My E60 is 11 years old now, probably never had iDrive update in its life. Odd thing is I'm reasonably sure that it imported contacts OK from an identical model before I lost it. I guess that in deleting the lost phone from iDrive/Bluetooth to pair the new one may have wiped the contacts associated with that phone.

There are various Android apps available that claim to do the transfer, but the one I tried yesterday in 'try before you buy' mode ain't worked.

All attempts so far have resulted in message as per screenshot.

I don't know how the file transfer process works - ie. whether it treats each contact as a discrete .vcf record or whether it rolls 'em all into one .vcf file. Either way, it ain't working. Haven't given up yet though. :)

Screenshot_20180801-134255.png

Edited by pidgeonpost

There is often an app you can get for Andorid phones to get them to work with head units that have this issue. 

Also, make sure all your contacts are on your sim, or on the phone if they are on the sim now, that may get them to work. 

Edited by gIzzE

6 hours ago, gIzzE said:

There is often an app you can get for Andorid phones to get them to work with head units that have this issue. 

Also, make sure all your contacts are on your sim, or on the phone if they are on the sim now, that may get them to work. 

Thanks. I've tried a couple of the apps. First one didn't seem to function at all. Second one (link) looked much more promising. I can't currently get it to work, and although their support fella has come up with a couple of suggestions I haven't had an opportunity to follow up on them. One suggestion was to look at the structure of the .vcf file and edit it to ensure it included only the contact's name(s) and phone number and see if that worked, but life's too short! However, the app looks a pretty good all-round tool for pushing stuff over Bluetooth generally if you're into that sort of thing.

Out of interest I tried pairing my wife's Samsung Galaxy to the car and it brought all her contacts across immediately with no problem. Storing and accessing the contacts doesn't work as I hoped it might though! My hope was that all contacts would be stored on iDrive and that it might be possible to access them from either of the two paired phones. No such luck.

I considered just entering my phone contacts manually by entering the number and then assigning a name to it, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do that either, or at least I haven't yet found it. I must be missing the method somehow or why would iDrive display alphabetic characters as well as numerics?

Pretty much given up on this with my current phone, but I know it's going to irritate me! :lol:

5 hours ago, pidgeonpost said:

Out of interest I tried pairing my wife's Samsung Galaxy to the car and it brought all her contacts across immediately with no problem. Storing and accessing the contacts doesn't work as I hoped it might though! My hope was that all contacts would be stored on iDrive and that it might be possible to access them from either of the two paired phones. No such luck.

Nope, the idrive "talks" to the phone to retrieve the numbers from the phone to display each time that particular phone is paired to the car.  You must be able to manually store numbers some how as my last E60 had someone called Liz stored with a corresponding number.   I managed to delete it, but then never found out how or had the need to store numbers in the car itself.

1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

You must be able to manually store numbers some how as my last E60 had someone called Liz stored with a corresponding number.   I managed to delete it, but then never found out how or had the need to store numbers in the car itself.

That's what I thought Andrew, and probably that's the case, but I ran out of time and patience to dick around with it any more. I'll have another play next time I'm waiting for my Mrs to come out of Tesco - that should give me a couple of hours to play. :rolleyes:

i use an app called bluettoth phone book as i couldnt get my phone to sync contacts i think its a device thing my wifes android works fine. 

Its an LG V20 i have soon to be replaced right enough. 

On 8/7/2018 at 12:19 PM, 535i Andrew said:

You must be able to manually store numbers some how as my last E60 had someone called Liz stored with a corresponding number.   I managed to delete it, but then never found out how or had the need to store numbers in the car itself.

If you have a LCI CCC with the shortcut buttons while in a active call with the number you want to store, press and hold whatever shortcut button you want to associate with that number to store it as a shortcut.