Sign in to follow this  
Biggbn

Hi, new e39 owner

Hi guys, just bought an old 2000 plate e39 525i auto, seems a decent old motor. Owned a load of BMW in past, our other car is a z3. Just joined up as these cars are getting old and their well documented frailties may mean I need you guys expertise from time to time. Car will need to cover 600-800 miles a week twice a month so will have to earn it's keep!!

IMAG0260.jpg

Edited by Biggbn

Looks a lovely, clean SE!

I do like the Turbine alloys on a black E39 ;) 

This was my previous 530i on its winter alloys & tyres

IMG_20180307_162246.jpg

IMG_20171201_144916.jpg

It has been fine since I got it a few days ago, some of the cooling system has been replaced although some rockape bodged the new expansion tank and the overflow pipe is araldited in place, Will be my first preventative maintenance job. Box is smooth, car drives fine, ac cold, cup holders whole and working!, manual seats so less to go wrong!!

While the auto box is working well,  do a flush, fluid and filter change as a preventative measure.  While you are in there, change the lock-up solenoid.  Not a big expense, but very worthwhile.

Mmm, interested in that advice as opinion seems split amongst the 'experts' , some saying unnecessary expense, others swearing by it. I would have thought common sense would have suggested changing any fluid is important

21 hours ago, Andy_A said:

Edited by Biggbn

Big car covered Dundee to Edinburgh including traffic today, door to door 40.9 mpg on computer, so even give or take a few mpg, result. 

Nb. I am NOT a fast driver which helps immesureably no doubt!

Yup, scorching day, lots of traffic, my car will have to cover 600-800 miles a week a few weeks of the month and shows every sign of being capable. Still not sure whether to do the gearbox flush although common sense errs on side of yup, do it. I notice a place in Glasgow gets good reviews on here and does job at a good set price.

On 8/10/2018 at 4:42 PM, Biggbn said:

Yup, scorching day, lots of traffic, my car will have to cover 600-800 miles a week a few weeks of the month and shows every sign of being capable. Still not sure whether to do the gearbox flush although common sense errs on side of yup, do it. I notice a place in Glasgow gets good reviews on here and does job at a good set price.

^^^yip get the box serviced at Mackies Transmission, especially if you want the car to last. Had both e39s serviced there.