Jonny2400

Just ordered my new G30 (photos)

Just ordered my new 530d M sport, after a lot of going back and forward, I just placed my order tonight, and I get it this Saturday ..I even was able to drive it today. After a long search I finally managed to find a dealer 2hours away with new 530d in stock and ready to go, my local dealer only had 520d or 540i available ... making the choice between the 540i and 530d was so hard.. am already second guessing myself, but I do 15k miles per year and I struggle  to get more than 39mpg from my F10 520d so I dread to think how a 540i would cope. I think the fact the 540i was cheaper, has x drive and the colour I wanted (Bluestone) is what made the decision so hard.

Anyway, here she is, 530d M Sport, with Sport Plus pack and visibility pack. I also managed to get the 3 year service pack threw in for free and benefited from the 0% offer on until end of the week. I did get to try it out ... now it felt a lot slower than my 520d but it was still in transport mode and ride was only slightly firmer than my F10 SE which as VDC and is running 18 Non RFT Michelin Cross Climates (which are amazing tyres btw) 

AFE8700D-3EC6-49FA-904B-087A88755791.jpeg

95E4F87D-F98D-47D7-A3DC-FF158F534748.jpeg

7C2D0BD9-4F5F-4B18-8BD4-A8C58C59B1BC.jpeg

The engine is a beauty, I am averaging 46.5 over 8500 miles.     ( OBC) It is fast when required smooth and quiet . On 300 mile drives up to Aberdeen can get upto 54 mpg, sure you will love it

Enjoy  it - great looking car. My 540i has done just over 6k and is at 30.6MPG so not in the same league as the 530d from that perspective.IMG_4126.thumb.JPG.064505b36b6525612dd40c456b462b0e.JPG

On 7/25/2018 at 7:05 AM, The Livster said:

The engine is a beauty, I am averaging 46.5 over 8500 miles.     ( OBC) It is fast when required smooth and quiet . On 300 mile drives up to Aberdeen can get upto 54 mpg, sure you will love it

I really wish I had gone for the 530d. I’ve got the 525d and even when I drive like the pope, the highest I’ve gotten is 35mpg but it’s normally around 30mpg. 

I wonder if anyone else has got the G30 525d and can share their experience. 

On 7/25/2018 at 1:09 PM, microcar said:

Welcome to the club. Nice choice a balance between power and economy. Like the colour :)

DSC_0211.JPG

I WANT THOSE WHEELS! 

Lol. Was lucky the car had 5k miles on when I got it from a BMW director he paid for them. Tires are bloody expensive!

On 7/28/2018 at 1:01 PM, larriebee said:

I really wish I had gone for the 530d. I’ve got the 525d and even when I drive like the pope, the highest I’ve gotten is 35mpg but it’s normally around 30mpg. 

The other dealerships where trying to get me to get the 520d, but I promised myself my next car would be the 530d, I’ve only 255 miles on the clock but she is currently at 44.8mpg .. I’ve obviously been babying her, right now, so that will drop once she’s broken in. I have been using Eco Pro and I have been using the coasting mode as much as possible too.

Thats shocking low for a 525d, you could get almost 30mpg from a 540i. My F10 520d always was around 38,9mpg and I would come on here and people would be like.. oh am always 53mpg and I used to think to myself how ?!? Cause I would be doing motor ways in eco pro on cruise control for 120 miles each day and it’s a straight empty road (away from the city) in the end it finished at 42mpg after 91,000 miles.

Edited by Jonny2400

On 7/28/2018 at 9:01 PM, larriebee said:

That's shocking, my 520d comfortably averages 47mpg on my daily 42 miles commute. If you do motorway miles you should at least match that as you have more torque to poodle you along compared to me but the same engine overall

I'm not so sure. I'm averaging 40 mpg in my 520d (mileage is only around 3500 just now) and if I reset the OBC before a run I get around 40-42 at 70 over a 30 mile run on a fairly empty motorway. ECO makes no difference really as I'm cruising steadily so it's only the hysteresis difference in the speed control.

20 hours ago, Jonny2400 said:

Thats shocking low for a 525d, you could get almost 30mpg from a 540i. My F10 520d always was around 38,9mpg and I would come on here and people would be like.. oh am always 53mpg and I used to think to myself how ?!? Cause I would be doing motor ways in eco pro on cruise control for 120 miles each day and it’s a straight empty road (away from the city) in the end it finished at 42mpg after 91,000 miles.

I wish I’d get 40mpg but that’s more like a dream. I took it on it’s longest trip from Brighton to Leeds and back and it only got up to 35mpg on average. 

11 hours ago, sjak92 said:

That's shocking, my 520d comfortably averages 47mpg on my daily 42 miles commute. If you do motorway miles you should at least match that as you have more torque to poodle you along compared to me but the same engine overall

I had an X2 for a week from the dealer while my car was in for some panic breaking issue it has and that was very good on mileage and now have a 320d which I’m driving up to Leeds with so I can see if it’s got something to do with the way I drive or just a bad engine choice. 

On 7/30/2018 at 9:38 AM, microcar said:

Lol. Was lucky the car had 5k miles on when I got it from a BMW director he paid for them. Tires are bloody expensive!

I wish I had a deal like that. I can’t justify paying for those wheels now but I’m sure i’ll come round to doing it. Who knows, someone on this forum might get tired of how good to look and offer it to me at a giveaway price. 

I managed over 70mpg on a run from East London to Leicester two months ago. Mind you, the M1 was congested so spent most of the journey doing 50mph. Eco Pro works really well in those situations with coasting. 

I moaned at first about mine, but can now hit mid-50s regularly at 70. I think temperature plays a big part - I'll be interested to see how much is "running in". The journey I'm now getting 55 regularly on (M25, M11) was only 35 in Feb.

Mind you, over a short journey in "full" sport I managed 8 too :-)

To that end, if my theory is right, I wonder what the correlation is - ie above a certain temp, does it fall off..?

Overall 23,000 miles over 16 months I am averaging 48MPG mix of commuting and long distance, best run was Preston - Newcastle - Northampton - Oxford - Croydon - Preston, 795 miles with 22 miles range left and London to Preston averaged 65.2 MPG

mileage.jpg.6a5c2cf615c5edcb3a20396670abd299.jpg

Do you guys reset the counter with every run? I had another drive up north after I cleared the trip counter and got 45.6mpg but I know that will drop when I resume my normal use of the car. 

7 hours ago, larriebee said:

Do you guys reset the counter with every run? I had another drive up north after I cleared the trip counter and got 45.6mpg but I know that will drop when I resume my normal use of the car. 

I set the trip on the main dash every time I fill the tank (I tend to wait till it starts shouting at me and fill it to the brim), and now have the centre console to do on a trip basis

20 hours ago, Jonny2400 said:

Impressive one, I changed the dials and dumped the eco pro style dials (in settings) when on eco pro, as hated not seeing the Rev counter.

hardly use dials and just use head up mostly