sjak92

Icon lights failing?

Hi Guys,

my Icon LED’s are behaving odd (or I just noticed this now. 

The he left hand light lights up but the outer light is a dimmer colour. Pic below - it’s almost yellowish

the right light however is fine and shines full white. When the dipped beams come on, the faulty light brightens up and goes full white at that point.

can you guys check if your cars do that or is it a service visit for me?

A13097B0-6F5E-4461-9F15-939929379494.jpeg

C370F778-D27C-4D2A-8C2C-3FC42B3C3549.jpeg

That’s really weird as the LED’s only really give off the bright white light rather than a yellow shade.

certainly get in looked at by the dealers.

Unless you have the french Peugeot option i think a dealer visit, although check you can see it in daylight-unless they have a dark room at the dealership to reproduce it. 

7 minutes ago, SuperDave said:

Unless you have the french Peugeot option i think a dealer visit, although check you can see it in daylight-unless they have a dark room at the dealership to reproduce it. 

Possibly not necessary as these photos can be used as “evidence”

1 hour ago, sjak92 said:

Hi Guys,

my Icon LED’s are behaving odd (or I just noticed this now. 

The he left hand light lights up but the outer light is a dimmer colour. Pic below - it’s almost yellowish

the right light however is fine and shines full white. When the dipped beams come on, the faulty light brightens up and goes full white at that point.

can you guys check if your cars do that or is it a service visit for me?

A13097B0-6F5E-4461-9F15-939929379494.jpeg

C370F778-D27C-4D2A-8C2C-3FC42B3C3549.jpeg

Got to be grounds for a full refund IMO :rolleyes:

Problem replicates every time. You open the car, dipped beams come on, go off with time, Angel eyes light up proper during that time. 

Once dipped beams are off, angel eye goes yellow.

dealer was baffled this morning. Booked in for an investigation next week

Edited by sjak92

Right, so car in with dealer today. 

Problem replicates every time. When i dropped the car off, i showed the problem, they were baffled, apparently theyve never seen an icon light fail yet. First thing they said was "i'll put in an order for a new headlamp straight away". 

Me, being stupid, said "hold on, it could be a control module, maybe the light is fine, do a diagnostic first and let me know later, no rush" .

Technician plugs the car in, no errors come up, I get a phone call saying there is no issue with it, just keep an eye on it. I then questioned, did they actually replicate the fault? "Didn't try, will go an do that now" Surely if it has not failed yet, there would be no error stored.

Edited by sjak92

They now see what the issue is, as no fault codes, they will need to video and send a report to Germany, car staying overnight...

Hope the color-temp will be the same, for my current audi A5 there are various color-temps ranging from bright white to somewhat yellow ... PITA if you need to replace them, you almost have to buy a pair from the same batch :)

Edited by Hybrid5

So they replaced  a control module, I was told all is good. Picked the car up late afternoon, noticed straight away problem still there. 

New headlight in. Old one has completely failed so avoid driving at night. Going back in tomorrow afternoon and will be done over the next day or so. 

Being put in a Mini again. Dont usually mind expect the fact that I have a very formal event to attend to were we will be arriving in a column of cars. All my mates with proper motors and me, in a fucking Mini. What happened to dealers putting clients into like for like cars or is this just mine, running a fleet of shitboxes. 

What are other peoples experiences of courtesy cars?

Have you mentioned to your wife that she's driving a shitbox?

Probably better not. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:.

Thing is, she likes the car and hers is a really well spec'd Clubman S - the last hire mini I got was a Mini One which was poverty spec.

1 hour ago, sjak92 said:

So they replaced  a control module, I was told all is good. Picked the car up late afternoon, noticed straight away problem still there. 

New headlight in. Old one has completely failed so avoid driving at night. Going back in tomorrow afternoon and will be done over the next day or so. 

Being put in a Mini again. Dont usually mind expect the fact that I have a very formal event to attend to were we will be arriving in a column of cars. All my mates with proper motors and me, in a fucking Mini. What happened to dealers putting clients into like for like cars or is this just mine, running a fleet of shitboxes. 

Lol. I had my ride in BMW yesterday to fix a persistent high oil warning light issue. They did a good job, drained oil and uploaded new software. If I wanted a courtesy car I had to book weeks in advanced so you lucky. Did you know you can drive smug with a 5 series rental from Sixt for £49 a day for your formal event.  :D

Edited by microcar

1 hour ago, sjak92 said:

Thing is, she likes the car and hers is a really well spec'd Clubman S.

My first and only mini was a Mini Cooper (not S) back around 1970. Nothing like today's - much smaller and giving a new meaning to the word basic! But it went like hell and stuck to the ground like glue. 

7 hours ago, sjak92 said:

When my new 5 was delivered to me with a damaged rear bumper, I was given a Mini for a few days whilst BMW did the work...lucky for me it was a 67 plate Cooper S, so I actually had a great deal of fun in it while I had it.

Brought back memories of when I had an R53 John Cooper Works GP - best fun I have ever had in a car.

That said, I totally agree you should at least me in the same marque. The dealer where I was usually gives X1s out. 

I usually get giving a 3 series when take a car in a o the dealers,. If you use bmw emergency services they’ll try to get you a similar hire car whilst yours is getting fixed.

1 hour ago, Johnyboy said:

I usually get giving a 3 series when take a car in a o the dealers,. If you use bmw emergency services they’ll try to get you a similar hire car whilst yours is getting fixed.

Thats what im getting today, BMW Assistance through Enterprise. 

Just spoke to them now, i'll probably be in an F10 but I suppose thats still better than a Mini

Best I’ve managed was an RS3 whilst Audi serviced my S5 worst was a A1!

Yet to experience the delights of a BMW Curtesy car as mines not due a service just yet and I’ll probably choose to work near to the dealer when they do so and let them ferry me to and from.....