KN54ALE

F11 winter tyres

I’ve got an F11 530d M Sport and just bought a spare set of genuine BMW 17” alloys. 

The wheels are currently on my car while the original wheels get refurbished and powder coated. 

The spare wheels could could do with new tyres and I’m considering using them with winter tyres. 

What are are people’s thoughts on which winter tyres I should get. 

The tyre size is 225-55 R17. 

Should I be looking to fit run flats or normal tyres, and do I need to stick with the higher Speed and load rating I’ve currently got on the car?

my current wheelers are the upgraded 19” rims and I’ve only ever managed to find one tyre which is available in the correct size, run flat, speed and extra load rating for the estate car b

I've been thinking the same things; I lived in Germany for years, and know the merits of winter tyres (I've run them on all my cars for years in the UK too). I've taken my standard 17's off, and put my set of 18in BBS CK wheels on, along with some Nankang performance (read: summer) tyres, 245/45-18. I'll be replacing the 17in tyres with winter tyres, and to be honest I'll be going for non-RFT's (probably). Goodyear Ultragrip 7's are the best winter tyre I've had - so that's probably what I'll go for again.

Winter tyres - yes.

I was a doubter of winter tyres, until I drove my dads F10 with winters (Conti Winter Contacts in 18") on it down the M74 in standing water back in December 2013.  It just ploughed thru it where my E60 at the time would have the steering wheel shaking in my hands with its summers.

My mum has a 320i Xdrive with a set of winters and we were able to overtake wheel spinning front wheel drive cars with not a hint of wheel spin.  Bridgestone Blizzaks.

I have a set of 17" rims (style 327) shod with Dunlop Sport 3D winters (rft) for my F10.  They just dug into the snow the beast from the East gave us in March and I was able to easily drive out of my street up a hill that previously took me half a dozen attempts in the E60 with its summer tyres in shallower depth snow. No issues in my F10 this winter when shod with its winter tyres.

Proper winter tyres have the 3 peak mountain/snowflake symbol and M+S markings.  This means they have low temp characteristics as well as a mud and snow tread pattern.  These tyres have the wwwww groves cut into the tread blocks.  M+S tyres do not have the wwwww groves cut into the tread blocks.

Nokian winter tyres get a good write up as do the Dunlop 4D tyres and so do the Michelin cross climates.   But the cross climates are not full winter tyres but M+S tyres.  

You might struggle to get the same load on winters as summers.  My winter tyres are 97H but my summers are 98Y.  No adverse affects that I've noticed.  Its a small trade off for the extra grip they give you.  You won't want 19" winters the tyre choice is poor.  If you go down to 18" or 17" the availability of winter tyres greatly increases.  Don't fit ditch finders,  spend money and get a set of OEM tyres.

rft or non rft.  Well that 's a massive debate, but one I don't recall specifically aimed at winters.   Mine are rft and I have no issues with that.

As has been already said, winter tyres are like night and day. My wife's Clubman has Good Year Ultra grips which are superb and last well.

Good steering feel when the temp drops and just keep going whatever the conditions. May move onto Michelin Cross Climates when due for replacement. 

No experience of other makes but as Andrew says, pay a few quid more and stick with a premium make would be my advice. 

I've got Dunlop sport 3d runflat winter tyres, first time I've had winter tyres and didn't really have an opportunity to test them out this year. There was one morning going to work where there was a mercedes behind me, at every slight incline they suddenly disappeared in my mirror, not even a twitch or slip in mine which must have been down to the tyres.

I've been on Micky CrossClimate+ for a good few months now and compared to the runflat setup Kent plod had it on the ride and performance is a noticeable improvement. Ok, so they're not runflats, but the general ride is better, the road noise is less right the way up to 272 kmh, the confidence they give you in rain is great. Not cheap, but 3PMSF marked keeps the Polezei happy through winter months and keeps me safe all year round.

Just got to get rid of the Police RFTs on 'non-pristine' 236 rims now...

1 hour ago, HandyAndy_UK said:

I've been on Micky CrossClimate+ for a good few months now and compared to the runflat setup Kent plod had it on the ride and performance is a noticeable improvement. Ok, so they're not runflats, but the general ride is better, the road noise is less right the way up to 272 kmh, the confidence they give you in rain is great. Not cheap, but 3PMSF marked keeps the Polezei happy through winter months and keeps me safe all year round.

Just got to get rid of the Police RFTs on 'non-pristine' 236 rims now...

Have you had the opportunity to test them out on snow yet? 

I bought a spare set of wheels with winter tyres (Goodyear) last week. Shopping early for Christmas ;) . I always run on winter tyres even with front-wheel drive, but a must I'd say for a big BMW.

Edited by Boba

3 hours ago, Caesar said:

Due to a rather mild winter down here I only got to use them on UK snow in Kent and  it was like driving on a snow free road. No steering slip or TC activation. I feel sure that they'd have been equally surefooted in Bavarian snow if we'd had more than a light dusting.

Maybe a bit of a naive question here, but I have a 525d Msport, currently on 19” staggered, 245/40/19 and 275/35/19, and I’m trying to find out if I could fit 17” alloys with winter tyres on it, or if it will need to be 18” due to the size of the brake discs... I’m new in the forum, and this might be in another thread, so if it is, I apologise in advance. Any recommendations on this will be really appreciated !! 

Yes, 17" rims will fit your car. I have 17" rims as my winter set up.

The smaller the rim size the bigger the choice of winter tyres you get. Given that this is the UK and roads in winter get massive potholes, going to the smallest rim with a big tyre sidewall will be more forgiving on the potholes, than our 19" rims ever will be!

Only the 550i and M5 can't be fitted with 17" rims all other models, they will fit.

17" inch will fit they fit on my 640D with no issue.

I recently had my Winter tyres replaced from Bridgestone Blizzaks (genuinely stunning performance in poor weather) and am trying the Pirelli Sottozero on my 17's for the 18/19 Winter.

Personally i cannot wait I am bored of my 20's now, they need a refurbish at some point over the Winter as well as they are looking a little worn in places after only a few seasons.

As per above going down in wheel size opens up far more opportunities, and you do not have to worry about potholes. I did know someone running 20" winters, the wheel buckled but the tyre prices were eye watering to the extent that nearly one Winter 20" bought 3 of my 17" ones!

Edited by Ninja59

@535i Andrew thanks bud, I was just worried cuz of the 330mm brake discs... my brother has a F10 520d and his discs calipers are smaller than mine, he had a set of 17” with winter on it, so I wasn’t sure. And I agree with u on the road issue, I stay in the central belt of Scotland, and every single A road and B road near my area are not in the best of conditions!!! 

@Ninja59 aye, I know... I tried to get a quote from black circles for my 19” staggered on winter rft and it was something like £350+ each front one... needless to say, I never checked the prices for the back ones lol

My brakes are 348mm but the biggest thing to clear on the front isn't actually the brake disc but the lower arm suspension balljoint, its nearer the inside of the rim than the front brake disc on my car?

Where about are you @Dknife21? I'm in Renfrewshire. Roads here are bad, then they get really bad in winter.

On 7/20/2018 at 5:04 PM, Caesar said:

Ive used the original crossclimates in snow and they were great, that was in 245/45r18. 

@Andrew535i Im in Livingston area. But I work in Falkirk, which means back roads to go to work. I’m not sure if my discs are 330mm or 348mm as I have seen both options online for my car, but I never thought about the suspension getting in the way!!! I’m getting a second hand set of 17”, and I’ll put 225/55’s on it... next question is, do I need TPMS?? Atm mine only tells me if the tyres are ok or not, but doesn’t show tyre pressure on it, so I don’t know if upgrading the valves will make a difference on the iDrive info settings. 

7 minutes ago, Dknife21 said:

@Andrew535i Im in Livingston area. But I work in Falkirk, which means back roads to go to work. I’m not sure if my discs are 330mm or 348mm as I have seen both options online for my car, but I never thought about the suspension getting in the way!!! I’m getting a second hand set of 17”, and I’ll put 225/55’s on it... next question is, do I need TPMS?? Atm mine only tells me if the tyres are ok or not, but doesn’t show tyre pressure on it, so I don’t know if upgrading the valves will make a difference on the iDrive info settings. 

If you have rubber valve stems on the wheels you don't have full blown TPMS so you are fine with the standard valves the tyre shop will fit. Your car monitors the rotational circumference of the wheels using the ABS sensors to see if there is a deflation. You'd need all of the electronics if you want to retrofit the full blown pressure sensor system.

Edited by Matthew Ashton

The car is registered on 31/12/2013, so is the pre- apr/2014 set up, but it has the pro iDrive system (bigger screen) so I’m wondering, if I buy a set of tpms valves, will the system work?? I think a visit to bmw dealer is on the cards... health check and full service, pre MOT, and I think I’ll make a list of questions for them to answer... so any other questions you think I should be asking them, as in specific to my car, any ideas will be much appreciated!! 

There is no need to buy tpms valves if you don't need to. Yes it tpms valves will still work on a car without tpms, as Matthew says it works by simply counting wheel revolutions ( a flat tyre goes round faster than its axle counterpart) so a tpws system will still work.

tpms is tyre pressure monitoring system, it knows the pressure in each tyre and displays this on the dash, they have metal valves with a nut around the valve stem on BMWs. So its easily identifiable.

tpws is tyre pressure warning system is the basic system that warns of a loss of pressure by identifying the wheel with an increased speed. They have ordinary black rubber valves.

Which BMW dealer do you use @Dknife21

@Andrew535i to be completely honest with you, I don’t have one yet... the car is originally from John Clark Aberdeen, preregistered on the last day of 2013, but I think the first owner bought it around feb 2014, I got it from Arnold Clark, but I don’t like their aftermarket service, so I was thinking to bite the bullet and take it to Eastern Western for the first service, for them to fully check it and tell me the good and bad bits (I can’t find any bad bits, absolutely love the car!!). I know some people don’t agree with the extortionate prices that BMW may charge, but for piece of mind I want to take it there for the first service, mot in October... ask all the questions I have to the guys that build it, and the maybe next year find an approved bmw garage with more down to earth prices... where do u take yours??

Edited by Dknife21

Mine came from John Clark in Aberdeen, they were good to deal with.

No experience with Eastern.

I use Fairbairns in Giffnock, south side of Glasgow, again they are good to deal with. They are owned by Arnold Shark though.  But mine was bought at three years old but still had two years of service inclusive to go. So the only thing I've paid the dealer for is one MOT and a replacement remote battery. 

Edited by 535i Andrew