KN54ALE

F11 jacking up vehicle

Any hints or suggestions on the best way to jack the vehicle up to remove wheels. 

The car car doesn’t come with a jack and the specific jacking points look like they are designed for a specific jack shine makes it difficult to position my trolly jack. 

Any suggestions woyld be much appriciated as I’ve got the rear bump stops to replace and want the car to be securely supported. 

16 minutes ago, pidgeonpost said:

Assuming the F series is like the E series you can buy one of these which locates in the jacking point on the car. :)

Yup agree with that. I use them to jack up my car.

A decent trolley jack with a big wide rubber pad on it will be fine without one of the pads above which are just made from a hockey puck. 

4 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Yup agree with that. I use them to jack up my car.

A decent trolley jack with a big wide rubber pad on it will be fine without one of the pads above which are just made from a hockey puck. 

I've wondered a few times whether the load should be taken by the perimeter of the jacking point which looks like some sort of plastic, or by the internal flat surface. If the latter then the rectangular part of the pad needs to be taller than the recess. Never really investigated it.

I'm not convinced that the jack pads you but have a tall enough piece to go into the jack point. 

The plastic jack point pieces fitted to the car are stiffened and spread the load over a big area on the chassis. 

Either way I think you will be fine. 

1 hour ago, Ninja59 said:

There is also a front central jacking point, but it is a long way in....

A long low jack is required for that.  Regularly lifted my E60 by this point.  

20 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

A long low jack is required for that.  Regularly lifted my E60 by this point.  

I used my standard trolley jack on the front central lifting point and it worked a charm. I too thought I wasn't going to get enough purchase on the lever but there was actually plenty of lever space once the trolley was well under the engine.

IMG_6410.jpg

Edited by Matthew Ashton

Don't let him fool you Mike, that's his pals garage! ;) Serious garage envy there.:D

Thats a posh jack you've got @Matthew Ashton. A common or garden one like this

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/ctj2l-2-tonne-long-diy-trolley-jack/

may struggle as it's not as low or as long as the one you've got. My jack is similar to Matthews and it's surprising how little movement of the lever you need to lift the car, i.e. it will work in a restricted space where you can't get a good full length swing on the handle. 

My plaster board walls are dot n dabbed, total nightmare to fix anything too!

Is the front central jacking point obvious when you see it? What about the rear, I didn't think you were meant to jack from the diff casing?

On my z4 I can jack from the front side jack point and it lifts the whole side of the car to be able to put a stand under the rear side point, not sure if that'll be possible on the 5 series as it's a considerably longer wheelbase.

It is fairly obvious

It's a slippy slidy aluminium dome in a sea of plastic 

Why they couldn't make it look like an actual jacking point it anyone's guess

ETA according to TIS you can jack on the case of the diff itself but NOT the rear cover. I always use a block of wood - small block of mahogany no less, passed down the generations - to protect whatever I'm jacking.

Edited by bmwmike

13 hours ago, bmwmike said:

Tiled garage floor Matthew? Surprised they don't crack or chip with the point loading of the jack wheels. 

Presumably not dot n dabbed tiles like some of ours are.

You got me @535i Andrew.

There is normally a 488 Ferrari (not mine) shaped vehicle parked there but it gets moved whenever I feel the need to have some BMW mechanical time! The owner is seriously pedantic about his building works and his tiler is top notch. I was a little worried about point load damage but that floor is solid. 

I have my garage floor tiled as well, it will be fine if you use the proper tile. I went to a tile expert and specified I wanted something suitable for a garage and with high point loading. They knew which tile range to use, only had 3 colours to choose from but whatever, it's a garage. It's been in there for 10 years now and not one has cracked, even with entire cars resting on four metal jackstands. They also stand up really well to oil spills and chemicals,  wipe clean with brake cleaner and no discoloration at all.