t3ddftw

Writing to the Nav Screen

Hello,

Kind of unrelated, but does anyone know what I-Bus message is used to write the text to the Static"Now Playing" screen (center of the Nav screen). For example:

Rwnnt9j.png 

Thanks!

-Ted

Edited by t3ddftw

I think I may have found it -- is it this? 

68 21 3B D4 03 1A <00 - 07> <Text> <CRC>

It doesn't seem to do anything on my MKIII unit with software 3-1/31, but I'll try my MKIV unit later. I see that the static now playing screen is an MKIV-only feature, so this makes sense. I was still unable to get this to work on my MKIV unit :/.

Edited by t3ddftw

Ted,

First, the 'Static' type display is only supported by the Mk IV Nav, and only with later version of the Nav software, the mode was used to support ID£ display from the MP3 capable CD Changer.

There are several messages that need to be sent to update the Nav text.  Rather than describing lots of things that are documented elsewhere, have a look at iBus inside document which you can find here http://web.comhem.se/mulle2/IBUSInsideDRAFTREV5.pdf.  This does not describe the mode that you have shown above, but it does describe the standard display mode supported by the MK II, III and IV.  Once you get that working it's easy to modify it to display the different modes.

Hint, Writing to the large text field causes the display to update after writing to all the fields, you can even write an empty text string to this field to cause the update.

I have al the info required, but it's not just a simple 'send this message' reply, so see where you get to and then I'll point you in the right direction for the next bit.

Richard,

Thanks for the reply! I actually have the all the messages to write to the different fields down, as seen below. :)

wjiAenU.jpg

I realize that the "static" mode won't work on the unit pictured, but the unit in my car is a MKIV with the newest software revision (from 2008), so I'll test it there once I figure out what the secret sauce is.

Hint, Writing to the large text field causes the display to update after writing to all the fields, you can even write an empty text string to this field to cause the update.

Hmm, it sounds like you're saying I may be able to write more than the 14 characters to an index field, then send another command to switch it to "static" display mode, where the extra characters will be displayed -- is that right?

Another question; Am I correct in assuming that the static display mode only supports a max of 32 characters, due to the protocol only allowing 32 data bytes per packet?

Thanks!

-Ted

FYI, For anyone who stumbles upon this in the future, the correct messages are:

0x68, <len>, 0x3B, 0xA5, 0x63, 0x01, <index: 0x40 + Index number (1-5)>, <Text>, <CRC>

Then Update the screen:

0x68, 0x06, 0x3B, 0xA5, 0x63, 0x00, 0x00, 0x93

As previously stated, you need an MKIV Nav with software version > 40. Note that you can write up to 38 characters per line in this mode.

Thanks!

-Ted

Edited by t3ddftw