Sign in to follow this  
Yokozuna

How does changing rear brake pads turn into a 2 day sarga?

Nothing is ever simple is it? 

So, goes the father in laws today to make use of his fully stocked tool chest and trolly jack :) 

gets the braker bar out to take the wheel nuts off, I forgot I might of broke the braker bar last year and forgot to replace it.... :oops:

so off with the wheel and onto loosening the bolts on the caliper, gets the 7mm Allen key socket (3/4”) and proceeds to search for the matching ratchet, his fully stocked tool chest is lacking this one tool :rolleyes:

never fear I own a 3/4” ratchet at home, so sticks the wheel back on stick all the gear in the boot and away I go back to my house (approx 10 miles away) 

finds my 3/4” ratchet (joy of joys) so back in the car and away I go.

Soooooo get back takes the 4 wheel nuts off and goes to retrieve the locking wheel not key and IT’s NOT FUCKING THERE!!!!! I used it to stick the wheel back on 40 min ago! It was in the boot, but it’s not there now :angry:

Then to top it off god decides to piss on me! Yes it pisses down like it’s not rained for around 6 weeks.... 

so off to BMW tomorrow for another locking wheel nut key then back to hopefully sort these bloody rear pads out! 

I should of just booked it in somewhere to get it done.....

:rolleyes:

I was really confused as to what a rear bra was, I'm almost disappointed. 

We have a workshop runaround - a 55 plate Mondeo ST diesel with intergalactic miles on but it just keeps going. No matter how much abuse, on the limiter from cold, you name it it just takes it and keeps on going without complaining. I was staying late Thursday night last week so thought I know I'll give the Mondeo a wash, it's been that long it's matt silver not metallic anymore.

I got as far as spraying it in TFR and the heavens opened. It was the first rain in about a month and it was bouncing off the floor it was that heavy. It got a wipe round with the soapy water and then left in the rain to rinse off. 

17 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Lol, I thought you were going say you sheared a bolt or something...

3/4" is a bit big, don't you mean 3/8" for the 7mm bit.

Nope definitely a 3/4 bit! He has the other sizes but not a 7mm Allan key bit :rolleyes: 

i might check my socket set collection now to see if I’ve a half inch or 3/8 in a 7mm Allan key socket...

1 hour ago, Yokozuna said:

Nothing is ever simple is it? 

So, goes the father in laws today to make use of his fully stocked tool chest and trolly jack :) 

gets the braker bar out to take the wheel nuts off, I forgot I might of broke the braker bar last year and forgot to replace it.... :oops:

so off with the wheel and onto loosening the bolts on the caliper, gets the 7mm Allen key socket (3/4”) and proceeds to search for the matching ratchet, his fully stocked tool chest is lacking this one tool :rolleyes:

never fear I own a 3/4” ratchet at home, so sticks the wheel back on stick all the gear in the boot and away I go back to my house (approx 10 miles away) 

finds my 3/4” ratchet (joy of joys) so back in the car and away I go.

Soooooo get back takes the 4 wheel nuts off and goes to retrieve the locking wheel not key and IT’s NOT FUCKING THERE!!!!! I used it to stick the wheel back on 40 min ago! It was in the boot, but it’s not there now :angry:

Then to top it off god decides to piss on me! Yes it pisses down like it’s not rained for around 6 weeks.... 

so off to BMW tomorrow for another locking wheel nut key then back to hopefully sort these bloody rear pads out! 

I should of just booked it in somewhere to get it done.....

:rolleyes:

I bet the wife wasn't impressed.

4 minutes ago, GoNz0 said:

I have left the locking nut on the wheel before, then found it still stuck on by some minor miracle...

I did think I might of done that but I distinctly remember leaving it on the socket/wrench and sticking it in the boot. 

8 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

585510222_ScreenShot2018-07-16at21_39_36.png.d9fc13305f5523aee48f169c055100d8.png

Ah right-o ;) 

4 minutes ago, jake13 said:

I bet the wife wasn't impressed.

She never is....

:lol:

1 minute ago, duncan-uk said:

Don't think I've used or even own any socket 3/4 size. 

You’ve never worked on big enough stuff dunc ;) 

1 minute ago, duncan-uk said:

Don't think I've used or even own any socket 3/4 size. 

I bought a 38mm crows foot spanner for doing the inner track rods on my E60. It is 3/4" drive. But that's it in my tool box.

3/4" drive stuff will be a bit big for wielding about on a car. Some suspension joints perhaps. I gave up using 3/8" drive stuff and went for 1/4" drive set up to get in to do the F10 infamous yellow grommet.

17 minutes ago, GoNz0 said:

I have left the locking nut on the wheel before, then found it still stuck on by some minor miracle... 

I picked a Range Rover up from a customer who had done this, they had just come down the moroway so god knows how it had stayed on. It was a big lump of metal so imagine the damage it could have caused if it had flown off at 70mph.

1 hour ago, Yokozuna said:

You’ve never worked on big enough stuff dunc ;) 

I'm perhaps more delicate in my approach...

Maybe? 

I used to go by the rule of thumb that if you can’t fix it with a hammer or gaffer tape it ain’t worth fixing ;) 

but there used  to be certain times where even the largest hammer hitting the biggest spanner in my arsenal wouldn’t do the job!

Then you tried heat plus big spanner plus big hammer, normally it ment you made the thing you’re trying your best to fix completely useless :lol: 

I don’t miss them days.....

Edited by Yokozuna

When I picked up my 525ix it needed a brake fluid change. Every nipple was seized and delaminating. Youthful me would have sheared every one. 

Sensible me googled the price of  calipers and cried. 

A day with heat, penetrating oil and shock release along with assorted sockets got them all out and replaced for sub £5. 

Cunning beats brute force. 

10 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

Youthful me would have sheared everyone. 

Sensible me googled the price of  calipers and cried. 

Cunning beats brute force. 

Think I'm somewhere in the middle of this :lol:

Edited by Joss

I sheared the caliper cradle bolts on my Senator on my 22nd Birthday. Ended up with a new hub, steering knuckle and lower wishbone as others things went very wrong. I spent the first few weeks of being 22 very skint after paying for that lot.

It would be very different now. I have more knowledge and better tools that would have prevented damage to the other components......

Why dismantle the caliper?

Just take the whole thing off and pull apart.

I also left my locking wheel nut in twice.

First time I lost it and had to use blu tack to push into the splined hole sobi could count the splines and get a used one from ebay.

Second time it was 100 meters from where I set off!

2 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

and no updates - could i be a 3 day sarga (sic) :lol:

Well as I’ve other things to do in my life other than give people shit on this forum (I know I know it’s hard to believe but true ;) ) and update as and when thing get done, I do apologize for the delay. 

All done :D it did need 2 visits to BMW though :rolleyes: we married up the key to the locking wheel nut and it had a slight bit of play and instead of trying to crack the nut with the wrench I took of with the squealing brakes and off back to the in-laws, jumps out full of joy that I can now get the frigging wheels off!! 

But noooooo, the locking key just slipped when pressure was applied! :rolleyes:

So back to BMW and luckily enough they had the correct size in their tester box which they gave me as no other in stock ;) 

so, again I shoot off with the squealing brakes and after some swearing and a lot of shite going everywhere the brakes are now not squealing :) and they now stop the car :shock: 

Edd China has got fuck all on me! :lol:

6 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

In any event this whole job should be an hour tops :P

I agree, when you know what your doing and got the correct equipment then maybe 30 min? The first one took me about 30/40 min to do from wheel off to back on and the second took no longer than 20 min :)