gaza01

Build 2

Little update. Forgot i had this thread running. So the desire is to have full electric seats in the old girl. Here's a few pictures of the brackets etc that i made up. The priority was to ensure they were strong once completed. 5mm plate and 6mm t-bar...reckon that will do Lol Will be getting them welded up on the weekend. Seats are recaro orthopeds with heating and venting. As the bases and seats need 30A & 16A each respectively I'll be running separate circuits into the car from a standalone fuse box with relays etc.

20181013_151422.jpg

20181013_152826.jpg

20181013_152438.jpg

20181013_152651.jpg

20181013_152658.jpg

Haven't updated here for a while but have been collecting a few bits here and there.

I had e34 m5 calipers and carriers that i sourced 3 year ago when i started building the bronzit e28. Cleaned them up and got them into primer. Also primed the brake disc centres. Nothing worse than when they go all rusty20180915_190555.thumb.jpg.b9263a335dbbd8b0665c8e6e8a6f08d9.jpg

20180926_200854.jpg

The plan was to paint the m5 calipers and disc centres silver keeping them simple but then I found some e38 brembo calipers and silver may not show them off enough. Not sure what i'll do colour wise now but will see. The front m5 calipers are now redundant and will be for sale but I'm holding off for a bit as I want to see if i can get a rear brembo set up of some sort to work on the e28 then I'll sell the m5 calipers and carriers as a complete set.

Here's the front brembos

20190110_222748.jpg

I'll be fully refurbing all the calipers by the way...new seal, pistons, paint etc etc.

Then i purchased a set of BC coilovers. The lowering springs do give a decent drop but its not level and i found the back of the car sagged a bit

Got 2 sets as ordered a set for a mate

20181203_194320.jpg

I've also ordered

Hel braide brake lines

E32 ate master cylinder

All front suspension linkages with E31 lower control arms

Rear stabilisers

Steering linkages

Gear lever bushes

I'm sure there are more bits that i have missed from the list. Just waiting on the weather to improve to get started fitting everything.

I've had a set of the BMW mirror tweeters installed for a while but recently decided to upgrade the whole BMW premium sound system speakers. I found that the speakers couldn't handle a modern head unit's full audio dynamics, they were originally designed to operate and be driven by the premium head unit and amplifiers notwithstanding the limitations of the technology of the time.

I am in the process of doing this and would be happy to tender any advice or tips to anyone wanting to do the same.

I have retained the original "premium" speaker cabinets so everything still appears "stock".

Edited by Taffy 1

Cheers Taffy. I really only want the tweeter pods to mount after market speakers. I'm using morel components...3 way active upfront and 3 way passive at the rear. I'll have to compromise on the oem look though and build pods where the original speakers were in the foot well. 

Nice choice Gaza, I opted for 6x4 infinity plate speakers for the front and replaced rear drivers with infinity components in the rear. All are driven by an Alpine 4x70 watt amplifier. This system has the ability to be quite loud because of the efficiency of the infinitys. Bass is taken care of by a boot mounted sub woofer driven by a 400w Kenwood amp.

Edited by Taffy 1

3 hours ago, Taffy 1 said:

Nice choice Gaza, I opted for 6x4 infinity plate speakers for the front and replaced rear drivers with infinity components in the rear. All are driven by an Alpine 4x70 watt amplifier. This system has the ability to be quite loud because of the efficiency of the infinitys. Bass is taken care of by a boot mounted sub woofer driven by a 400w Kenwood amp.

Nice! Did you cut a hole in the metal panel behind the seat to get more bass into the cabin? 

No mate, I had two holes already in the parcel shelf left over from previous speakers. They do an admirable job as ports.

P.S, I forgot to say I'm removing the BMW tweeters from the mirror mounts and replacing them with Infinity 3/4" drivers

Managed to find these bits for the audio to try to keep things as oem looking as possible. I'll also be building kick pods in the front footwells but hopefully they won't look to obtrusive. 

20190210_155149.jpg

Edited by gaza01

I've got the set of drivers complete with crossovers for those. I replaced the originals with infinity drivers with separate crossovers (passive). 

With a bit of fettling you'll get modern spec drivers to fit in the premium cabinets.

With the weather changing for the better I can finally get cracking on doing stuff rather than just collecting parts. Started with the PAS pump as one of the hoses had a bad leak. Got a replacement hose from BM Conversions and an oem service kit off ebay including the reservoir filter. Tidied up the pulley as well. All back on and no leaks. The teeth on the gear wheel and bar that tensions the belt are worn so I've ordered them and will replace

20190217_104502.jpg

20190217_103213.jpg

20190217_103207.jpg

20190215_184228.jpg

20190215_170550.jpg

20190217_115855.jpg

20190217_113717.jpg

20190217_135639.jpg