535i Andrew

A tale of woe about my F10's tail

Bodyshop has just called.  Its all fixed and good to go followed by a lot of I'm very sorry Sir, very sorry etc etc. 

To quote the girl on the phone "I don't know how many times I told them to check the towbar"......

Sadly par for the course in today's faceless garages where there is no owner on site looking over the guys shoulders checking things are right.

8 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Sadly par for the course in today's faceless garages where there is no owner on site looking over the guys shoulders checking things are right.

Are there in is the problem Andrew. Nobody owns the start to finish process. One guy checks it in, another strips it down, another orders the parts, another fits the parts, another ....blah blah blah, and in there, no single person has responsibility on the end product. Theoretically, the person who owns the "customer engagement" should be the foreman and he should have overall responsibility, but. typically he first sees the car when he hands it over to you.

In summary, nobody cares like they should.

I have a insurance policy that allows me to select my choice of repair shop, but, in reality, how much does that help me ?

Dave

On the flipside to Daves comment rarely do customers care, as far as I can see. That apathy breeds laziness on the part of the garages. Case in point I bashed my wife's car and made sure the repairers were aware from start to finish I'd be inspecting it with an LED torch etc. When I picked it up was perfect but they made a point of saying it was nice to see someone on top of it, most people take a quick look,grunt a thanks and drive off. 

8 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Bodyshop has just called.  Its all fixed and good to go followed by a lot of I'm very sorry Sir, very sorry etc etc. 

To quote the girl on the phone "I don't know how many times I told them to check the towbar"......

Glad you've got it back and all is now good!

Agree, they don't cater for the people who have the disease of Automotive OCD, because the great unwashed simply don't care.

Anyway as a brucey bonus the shiny new towbar this time has a breakaway point integral with the neck and the socket has all 13 pins present unlike the last one.  But my car will not be wired up for the ignition switched supply for Pin 10 and corresponding earth for Pin 11.

IMG_3927.jpg

IMG_3929.jpg

And thanks to my OCD I'm going to need to replace the other tailpipe as one was damaged and replaced with a very shiny one.  

Glad you got it back and all is OK now.

Regarding the automotive OCD, I'm the same - we had to drop the OH's car back into the dealer yesterday due to an issue with the service lights and brakes. It made a refreshing change when they actually asked whether we wanted a service wash after the work was completed - I politely declined advising them of the GTechniq that was applied to the vehicle, and they understood perfectly. 

So I got the car back on a Wednesday and by that weekend, every so often the brand new towbar would not lock into the 'towing' position.  I was on holiday and didn't need to tow so I left it till the following weekend, OCD going off the scale.  Checked again, sure enough towbar would not lock in the 'towing' position.  The towbar swings out and doesn't quite lock into its fully extended position.  I suspect that the module is sensing that there is too much power being drawn by the motor and it refuses and backs off saving burning anything out.  

I call the bodyshop on 24th Aug and get told the one and only mechanic who can 'do towbars' who fitted mine is off sick and in hospital.  I was to bear with them until the tech returned.

A few e-mails from were exchanged every week or so asking when they would fix their problem after explaining that I had to change my plans at the weekend just there as not being able to tow.  Last I heard was the tech might be back today.  Working hard keeping the OCD under control and not loosing my head...

So today after being thoroughly fed up of not having a towbar that works, I call BMW GB customer services after no response from the bodyshop.  I explain all and basically get put thru to my local BMW dealer Harry Fairbairn.  Harry Fairbairn are part of Arnold Clark and my repair certificate is all badged up as BMW Harry Fairbairn. I was told at the time I collected the car from the bodyshop that it is covered by a years warranty parts and 5 years labour.  The bodyshop I used is BMW approved and that is where all Harry Fairbairns bodywork gets done.

The service adviser at HF that I got put thru too is a guy I've dealt with before and he is a helpful and knowledgeable chap.  He assured me that any issue with the towbar due to poor installation, they will resolve and get agreement from the bodyshop in terms of payment.  If it turns out to be a faulty part they will take up with BMW to resolve, I suspect its the latter.  There will be no cost to me as its all under warranty.  First date for this is 1st October.  We agreed that if miraculously the bodyshop resolves before then I can cancel the appointment or get my oil service done on that day.

I check my e-mail early this evening and lo behold there is an e-mail from the bodyshop telling me that the tech is back at work and asking when would I like to take my car in.

Only problem is that I'm away to "the toon" for the rest of the week so it will need to be Monday.

All thanks to a careless driver.  Idiot.

20 minutes ago, bmwf113.0d said:

Could it be down to a weak battery? 

Just a thought. 

Thanks

I thought that too as it had effectively sat since beginning of July not doing much.  So I charged during my week off, but that didn't help.  I had (still have) no other electrical issues in the car after that time, but I figured it would do no harm, it was the first time I used my Ctek charger too.

Did 30 miles in it today and after that run still didn't work.  

Tail gets longer.

Heard from the bodyshop.

They think the towbar itself is at fault rather than any programming issue/module related problem.  I told them that on 24th Aug, but hey ho, what do I know.  They have done as much testing as they can on the part.

It needs to go to BMW (my local dealer and same dealer who supplied the part) for them to confirm that the towbar is indeed faulty who can then take up the issue with the BMW parts supply chain/system.

I stated that I already had a slot booked with the BMW dealer on 1st October.  The bodyshop will speak with the BMW dealer to give them the full story.

So I will take it in for them to confirm that it needs a new towbar, then have to take it back in again for the new one to get fitted.  Hopefully I can get the oil service done at the same time as getting the towbar re-fitted, saves a trip atleast.

1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

Tail gets longer.

Heard from the bodyshop.

They think the towbar itself is at fault rather than any programming issue/module related problem.  I told them that on 24th Aug, but hey ho, what do I know.  They have done as much testing as they can on the part.

It needs to go to BMW (my local dealer and same dealer who supplied the part) for them to confirm that the towbar is indeed faulty who can then take up the issue with the BMW parts supply chain/system.

I stated that I already had a slot booked with the BMW dealer on 1st October.  The bodyshop will speak with the BMW dealer to give them the full story.

So I will take it in for them to confirm that it needs a new towbar, then have to take it back in again for the new one to get fitted.  Hopefully I can get the oil service done at the same time as getting the towbar re-fitted, saves a trip atleast.

With the luck you’ve had, if you book it in for an oil service at the same time as the new tow bar to be fitted, you’ll end up with a towbar in the oil filler hole and a puddle of oil behind your car! :lol: 

Good luck!

1 hour ago, Yokozuna said:

With the luck you’ve had, if you book it in for an oil service at the same time as the new tow bar to be fitted, you’ll end up with a towbar in the oil filler hole and a puddle of oil behind your car! :lol: 

Good luck!

You know, that thought did cross my mind.

I'm going to buy a Eurosquillions ticket for tomorrow night, my lucks got to change at some point.

When I collected it tonight from the bodyshop, I was there when they phoned the dealer and confirmed that its now up to BMW to replace due to faulty part under part warranty and that there will be no cost to me.  Other than the train fare it will cost me to get to work from the dealer that morning.

So another two weeks to be told, yes its broken and I can't use it in the meantime.

On 11 September 2018 at 8:52 PM, 535i Andrew said:

Harry Fairbairn are part of Arnold Clark and my repair certificate is all badged up as BMW Harry Fairbairn. I was told at the time I collected the car from the bodyshop that it is covered by a years warranty parts and 5 years labour.  The bodyshop I used is BMW approved and that is where all Harry Fairbairns bodywork gets done.

My local dealer is Harry Fairbairn too though I'm only recently back to BMW after my Insignia. I've always found them OK though I did get a bit concerned at the Arnold Clark buyout. Quite a bit of pushing AC products towards me when I bought my 520D recently, and the paperwork is all AC. I know the bodyshop - had to get a mirror shell sprayed recently when someone scraped it in Asda's car park - bummer! Annoyingly I accepted a quote from HF and then got a panic phone call at home raising the price to over double so the jury's out on whether they're still OK.

Edited by Boba

It went to my local BMW dealer yesterday to get the towbar investigated.  They identified a fault with the towbar module. It was replaced yesterday. 

That didn't cure the fault. 

They wanted to keep the car to strip it down to investigate further.  They tell me this morning that a new towbar was fitted and it works. They identified a drive fault in the mechanisim on the old one.

I collect the car after 5:30pm. I test it out and the new towbar does not fully lock in place. Service advisor looks mortified. Returns with workshop foreman. It continues to fail, he looks embarrassed. He does the button override (holding down button), it locks into position, but fails on trying again via single push. He starts the engine and on trying again it locks into place. It fails to lock into place without the engine running.

The technician who worked on my car appears, again looks horrified that it's not working. "I tested that 100 times and it was perfect".

Of course it's tested when the car is hooked up to a charger, as per ISTA recommendations.  

They suspect a deeper electrical fault in the car and it needs further investigation. Query on battery performance but my stop start works fine. Booked back in on Monday.

This is my BMW dealer who are now trying to make my car work following the bump. The bodyshop palmed me off to them saying I need to go there as they supplied the part and it's a part warranty issue. 

Now is this fault a result from the bump, or has it just surfaced in the time it's sat doing not a lot in the bodyshop and the battery has had it? Battery is original so nearly 6 years old, but a night on charge via my Ctek charger made no difference last time.

If it's a fault from the bump it needs paid for by my insurance but that will be difficult as it's all moved on from the bodyshop to now at a main dealer who wasn't involved initially. 

A complicated mess.

The tail of woe is not over yet.

10 hours ago, bmwf113.0d said:

I did suggest the battery a while ago... 

Thanks. I know you did, and it's been there in the back of my mind since.  

But other than my idrive having a very brief temper tantrum (which I just put down to it being related to the E39 and E60 ) it's been ok, with no other symptoms. The stop start works fine.  Engine turns over without issue. 2 deg C this morning, no problem.

When the engine is running and you operate the towbar it really powers out into its locked position with a reassuring clonk. Points to low power from battery.

So so what's the life span of these AGM batteries then? 

Would sitting around for six weeks doing not a lot while it was getting fixed have damaged the battery? 

I did charge it using my Ctek charger when the problem first appeared and all the signs were there on the charger that it was a healthy battery, but if there is an issue with it, no amount of charging will sort it?

Dealer is going to charge it over Monday night.

I informed my insurance company yesterday that the car is not working still in its pre accident condition, and was told to send on any invoices to them for consideration.

10 hours ago, Yokozuna said:

No one like a smart arse! ;) :P 

Lol but to be fair I think he might be on the money (or damaged/corroded wiring/connectors).  And he hasn't been in my face about it.

Oh god did I just stick up for @bmwf113.0d?

I need to go and lie down.

19 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

When the engine is running and you operate the towbar it really powers out into its locked position with a reassuring clonk. Points to low power from battery.

A reassuring clonk would mean a good battery,  surely, or am I missing a point?

From what you've described they identified a fault already and replaced the module, presumably means a fault in the module. Then they replaced the mechanical bits?  Could the supply wiring to those bits have been damaged ?

Seems unlikely that the ctek would say the battery is OK incorrectly.

When the engine is running you have the alternator powering things at a slightly higher voltage.

Without that running it doesn't work as reliably.

They checked the towbar wiring and said o.k. Which I'm assuming is the wires from the modules to the towbar itself. There is internal wiring that provides power to the modules from the battery.

You should check status of charge in ISTA. I have an original 11 year old BMW battery which I use as spare and never fails to start the car. You just have to know how to charge them properly using the old skool chargers.

In your case it's obvious, you have to drop your trouser and coerced to buy a new battery.

I checked the battery using a cheap tester.

Engine off. 13V at battery

image.jpg

Implies battery is more than good.

Engine running. 14 V at battery

image.jpg

So the alternator is healthy too.

Wiring issue? Or new towbar isn't quite compatible with older car?

I don't have the means to check battery with ISTA to confirm my cheap tester.