AlexB

Where to have my gearbox oil changed, near Reading/Basingstoke?

My gearbox is doing funny things (slightly jerky and sometimes holds 1st gear), and dropping a little oil from the underside. Where can I have the oil changed locally? I had a quote at Grosvenor BMW but they want around a grand for the job - surely it can't be that much?

Tried to sell the car with the box as it is, but I think the honesty in my advert is putting people off. 

Cheers all,

Al

12 hours ago, AlexB said:

My gearbox is doing funny things (slightly jerky and sometimes holds 1st gear), and dropping a little oil from the underside. Where can I have the oil changed locally? I had a quote at Grosvenor BMW but they want around a grand for the job - surely it can't be that much?

Tried to sell the car with the box as it is, but I think the honesty in my advert is putting people off. 

Cheers all,

Al

I use grosvenor in Caversham and have recently had a service done there too, they actually told me certain things I had asked to be replaced didnt need doing and were very honest. They cleaned it really well and charged a great deal less than main dealers. They had a very long chat with me when I dropped the car off about my F11 & E39 and seem really interested in what they do. Highly recommended

There are a couple of Indy's in Reading & one in Camberley called TWG. I;ve only spoke to them for advise before, but not used their services. Are very helpful and knowledgeable.

If it’s a diesel auto then they don’t use first gear,pull away in second...as do holding on to the gear that’s usually a sign it’s exhaaust is regenerating...put it in 4th and run it up your local big roads at 70 for 30-40mins. Should clear it nicely...

1 hour ago, Steve AD said:

If it’s a diesel auto then they don’t use first gear,pull away in second...

Whoooa there fella, last time someone said that world war three broke out on here.

14 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Whoooa there fella, last time someone said that world war three broke out on here.

That and:

diesel vs petrol

premium fuel vs standard fuel

budget tyres vs premium tyres

It sounds like the sump gasket or the connector at the electrical connector (name escapes me) if you have a leak from the gearbox. If it's low on fluid because of the leak that way well be causing your issues. Again not guaranteed but it does fit the bill. The correct level is imperative on these. If you think it's leaking fluid get it looked at sooner rather than later.

In regards to them pulling away in second, they will SOMETIMES. There are maps built in to the gearbox ECU that recognize situations like traffic jams and stop start traffic when it's go and stop all of the time. In this instance if the car thinks you're in a jam or stop start traffic, it'll pull away in second to give a smoother drive. It will also pull away in second in some other situations, but for the vast majority of the time it'll pull away in first gear.

1 hour ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

It sounds like the sump gasket or the connector at the electrical connector (name escapes me) if you have a leak from the gearbox. If it's low on fluid because of the leak that way well be causing your issues. Again not guaranteed but it does fit the bill. The correct level is imperative on these. If you think it's leaking fluid get it looked at sooner rather than later.

In regards to them pulling away in second, they will SOMETIMES. There are maps built in to the gearbox ECU that recognize situations like traffic jams and stop start traffic when it's go and stop all of the time. In this instance if the car thinks you're in a jam or stop start traffic, it'll pull away in second to give a smoother drive. It will also pull away in second in some other situations, but for the vast majority of the time it'll pull away in first gear.

I’m not going to say your wrong,but,and there’s always a but lol.mine always pulls away in second,if I select semi auto and select 1st the difference is huge,not a little different but exactly what you would expect between 1st and 2nd in the difference..2nd has a slight slippage feel,where as 1st is 100% normal.again,it’s how my head sees this rightly or wrongly