ger

E61 front and rear spacers for standard MV2 wheels

It's probably been asked a few times but I can't find a definitive answer.

What width spacer should I go for to fit to the rear and the front with the standard 18" mv2's on my e61? Wheels are a bit lost and could do with bringing out a bit.

I've seen 15 and 20mm per side been mentioned but do definitive answer from my limited searching.

Thank you :)

With their offset; 15mm spacers will be fine, 20mm on rear may cause a touch of rubbing if over rough roads or undulations in the road/motorways etc

Don't forget to get longer bolts; or better still; go for the Mtec 82mm stud conversion and you'll do away with bolts altogether and have a safer option and an easier way of taking wheels off/putting em back on again ;) 

2 sets of these will be sufficient: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-5-Series-E60-2003-2010-2-Hubcentric-15mm-Alloy-Wheel-Spacers-With-Bolts/122574056121?fits=Car+Make%3ABMW|Plat_Gen%3AE60&epid=21004386590&hash=item1c89fbaab9:g:6fQAAOSwBNtbGTVB

Hi

I'm running with 20mm up front and 30mm rears,  on 245/45/18 tyres  and 30mm drop on the suspension and only get rubbing over extreme humps in the road  

Thanks for the quick replies.

I was going to go for the stud conversion, makes life much easier. I have them on the e39.

I'll try to have a look in the next few nights, wouldn't like to go much more than 20mm, that's just me but don't want to go to all the bother to find the wheels are still a bit 'lost' in the arches.

If anyone else have experience, let me know :)

I had a look at the car and reckon that these will fit so I've ordered 20mm each side rear and 15mm each side front and an 82mm stud kit.

Looking forward to having them on :)

3 hours ago, ger said:

I had a look at the car and reckon that these will fit so I've ordered 20mm each side rear and 15mm each side front and an 82mm stud kit.

Give the holes a bloody good clean before you fit the studs... A good blast with brake/carb cleaner will do them a world of good. You'd be amazed how much shite builds up in there. If you can, a scrub with scolding hot water and fairly liquid and an old toothbrush works really well; just need to get the threads properly cleaned

They're a doddle to fit, as above, use Loctite thread lock, just a dab on each and a decent 5mm socket and torque wrench :)

Is it the Mtec kit you've gone for?

Yup, Mtec kit it is.

I'll be giving it all a good clean, new disc, pads and shoes going on at the same time. Loctite should hold well. 

Thanks for all the help everyone, much appreciated. I'll post up some pics after they're done. 

On 7/18/2018 at 6:37 PM, ger said:

Where did you get that lot ?

On 7/28/2018 at 6:24 PM, Deviant said:

Where did you get that lot ?

I got them from mtec (or mteconlineshop) on ebay.

He said he'd do a set of spacers, studs and nuts for £100. These would be 'no name' spacers. I went for Bimec spacers in the end, having had bad experiences before with unbranded ones. They were a bit more but exactly what I was after.

Hopefully I'll be sorting my car this week, been busy with other peple's cars up until now!

Cheers, I saw another site offering chrome nuts instead of black ones which appealed to me. 

I'm running 19inch spiders in the summer and 18inch MV2s in the winter. Fitting studs will make that easier, but I don't want the spacers

with the spiders. The studs would be longer and without the spacers would stick out further on the spiders. 

I guess 20mm isn't the end of the world. Does anyone know better? 

Nah, they’ll just be flush with the end of the holes, more so on fronts than the rears ;)

11 hours ago, Deviant said:

Cheers,  just a coat of fluid film to stop the spacers welding to the hub then. 

I use offshore silver spray, it's a silver ceramic spray that leaves a very thin coat that won't come off.

Part number NOR2894449 from https://www.carparts4less.co.uk use code payday at the checkout.

Handy to have a tin to stop stuff sticking and can be used on brake calipers as well to stop pad squeal along with bolts under the car once torqued up to stop them corroding together. 

Hi guys Iv been thinking about putting spacers on my 2006 e60 535d. It has the standard 245/45/18 mv2 alloys and sometimes have a full car of people. Would it be best with 15mm all round or could I go for the 20mm on rear without rubbing when car is loaded 

Personally I'd go 15mm rears, 12mm up front then there won't be a risk of rubbing

Fro what I've seen and read, 20mm on the rears and a full load may just have the tyres catching the inside of the arch, more so over rough road or undulations etc

I did a little research and as you can see from this guide, the front wheels on a 19" spider vs an 18" MV2 are the same width and offset. The rears is 12mm difference. 

I'm going to keep my suspension geometry and not bother with spacers, especially as I'll be running both size wheels. 

x8iHDUY.png

I purchased some 50mm studs and nuts and locking nuts that I'll fit next week, to make the 6 monthly wheels swaps easier. 

Edited by Deviant

Finally on the car :)

I wanted to change the discs/pads etc so took some time to get the free time to get everything done! They sit nicely with the edges of the wheel arches now, not hidden deep inside.

20180814_123930.thumb.jpg.ff9ed0b90ef354f4f73a4d09f72fd6d3.jpg

Also fitted a Maxton Design front splitter, chuffed to bits with how it looks!

20180814_123914.thumb.jpg.51f2c228e7e3c171d70c81e83c848056.jpg

Sorry if the pictures are large, on phone and no easy way to shrink them!

4 minutes ago, ger said:

15mm front and 20mm rear spacers, that's each side.

Yup, stud conversion fitted too, fitting wheels is now a doddle :)

20180812_143134.thumb.jpg.97755a14b349d60635a23d83bd99d817.jpg

Looks good that. What stud kit did you use?