Sign in to follow this  
sjj84

I drive service history

When I purchased my car, from a bmw dealer, they said that there aren't service books anymore and it's all saved in the I drive. I got them to give me a print out of when it's been serviced, however I notice on various forum posts that on later cars the history is actually displayed on the I drive screen. Is it possible to update older cars to also show this?

2 hours ago, sjj84 said:

When I purchased my car, from a bmw dealer, they said that there aren't service books anymore and it's all saved in the I drive. I got them to give me a print out of when it's been serviced, however I notice on various forum posts that on later cars the history is actually displayed on the I drive screen. Is it possible to update older cars to also show this?

At the end of 2013 all BMWs had the iDrive option for the Service history and the service book was discontinued. Using ESYS and an ENET cable you can enable this feature for cars pre this change. Note though that the services only started being logged in the iDrive around mid 2012 so if your car is an earlier model, it’s earliest services may be missing once the feature is coded. I drive a 2010 model and have coded this history in my car so services are now showing from 2012 onwards. 

I purchased a BMW Blank Service book anyway from eBay and stapled the print out in the back of the service book. I still get the dealer to stamp it even though the service history is in the idrive. If someone wants to take a quick look at it at least it's in your hand. Even when it comes to buying/selling the car you wanna see the BMW stamps.

For example, ZF in Germany asked me for the service book as they wanted to see service history. Plus they put their stamp in there as well.  When the BMW dealership did an oil service they were surprised/shocked to see a ZF stamp in there, but I just embarrassed the service manager by saying ZF said BMW should be servicing the gearbox. See thats the power of stamps in your service book. 

Mine is an early 2013 pre lci car, so should be able to have it on the I drive by the sounds of it. Is that something a bmw dealer can/will program?

11 hours ago, sjj84 said:

Mine is an early 2013 pre lci car, so should be able to have it on the I drive by the sounds of it. Is that something a bmw dealer can/will program?

Any of the F10/F11 cars can have it coded but BMW won’t do it for you. They won’t code features and you’ll need to do it yourself or get a willing party to do it for you. 

Also this is only any good if you still go to a main dealer for services. If you do your own & use (say) a carly to reset the interval, it doesn't show up on the service screen - even though the mileage/time to next service has been changed - as well as the service count (as read by Carly).