Jump to content
Liam2594

G30 520d vs F10?

Recommended Posts

Afternoon all,

 

My BMW sales guy who I use has given me a call with a tempting offer on a new 520d M Sport, however I did vouch that my next car would be a 530d. I know engine wise they’re effectively the same in both my F10 and the G30, however because the G30 is slightly lighter, anyone that has come from an F10, does the G30 feel any quicker or is it realistically not noticeable? I always find in the F10 it’s adequate enough, but when you feel the need to press on, I am constantly thinking it feels underpowered. 

 

Swapping for another 520d I’m struggling to justify if I’m honest, but the thought of stepping into a G30 is seriously tempting me. My F10 is only 18 months old and reasonably well kitted (M Sport +, Pro Media, gearshift paddles etc), the G30 offered is a standard M Sport, so no privacy glass, smaller wheels, no Harman Kardon (big one for me) etc. 

 

Thoughts much appreciated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went from an N47 F10 520d to a B47 G30 520d and found it noticeably more responsive and flexible on the motorway and off the line. 

 

despite the fact that the G30 is miles ahead of a F10, I dont think I could go into one that is bare bones (my F10 had decent spec). When ordering my G30, my Mrs told me to go for a 530d but I couldn't justify the extra £175 or so a month. Whilst the 3.0d is super to drive, with my Spec it would be around 55k when purchasing. For that money you could get a 740d after a massive discount from BMW and 0% APR and that would tempt me far more than a 530d. They effectively cost the exact same amount to but if you can negotiate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sjak92 said:

I went from an N47 F10 520d to a B47 G30 520d and found it noticeably more responsive and flexible on the motorway and off the line. 

 

despite the fact that the G30 is miles ahead of a F10, I dont think I could go into one that is bare bones (my F10 had decent spec). When ordering my G30, my Mrs told me to go for a 530d but I couldn't justify the extra £175 or so a month. Whilst the 3.0d is super to drive, with my Spec it would be around 55k when purchasing. For that money you could get a 740d after a massive discount from BMW and 0% APR and that would tempt me far more than a 530d. They effectively cost the exact same amount to but if you can negotiate. 

 

That’s exactly my thoughts, is the 530d worth that extra cost considering I’d say 80% of the time the extra power isn’t going to be in use. I don’t want a massive options list on a G30, but an M Sport + pack is a must for me, also I’d like memory seats this time, constantly adjusting for the Mrs and me does my head in. Although when you look at memory seats, do you just go the extra and get the comfort pack? Do I just stick with the F10, considering it’s got everything I need tax is £30 per year as opposed to the £450 for a new G30. Insurance is cheaper to the tune of £200 per annum mind you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I came from F10  N47 520d to G30 B47 520D. G30 is generally more refined, quieter, seat feels more supple and more responsive in Sports mode, better chassis (less body roll). More luxurious inside (at least impression of it with ambient lighting) and the head up display is bigger. The idrive is 100% better than professional idrive in F10.   

 

F10 is better looking from the front if G30 adaptive light is not on. However F10 looks fat from the back compared to G30. Somehow F10 looks more harmonious overall regarding body shape than G30.

 

 Is G30 worth taking negative equity for. No. It might be better to wait for G30 LCI.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this the 0% deal they're pushing for pre-order cars this month? Ive been bombarded by emails from a few dealers but they didnt mention it was 520d only up front. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Gents.

 

Joined the forum recently and been lurking in the shadows as considering a new 5 series. 

The deal that caught my eye is currently been run by Inchcape. Models covered are M Sport 520d/530d saloon and Touring. I’m looking at 530d Saloon at 0% Apr, £479 down and £479 per month (47 months), 8k miles a year.

Personally the mileage needs to be higher and and a few other options included.

 

Gav

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gavthegat said:

 

Personally the mileage needs to be higher and and a few other options included.

 

Definitely would check how comfy you find the sports seats, lumbar support seems necessary for quite a few people. Audio upgrade of some sort too, for my money. 

 

Interesting theyre running it to end of September, most dealers advertise 0% to end july. I would run a quote through carwow and see if you can get a higher discount to offset some options, I'd guess youll be offered zero apr on them all.

 

Edited by SuperDave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gavthegat said:

Hi Gents.

 

Joined the forum recently and been lurking in the shadows as considering a new 5 series. 

The deal that caught my eye is currently been run by Inchcape. Models covered are M Sport 520d/530d saloon and Touring. I’m looking at 530d Saloon at 0% Apr, £479 down and £479 per month (47 months), 8k miles a year.

Personally the mileage needs to be higher and and a few other options included.

 

Gav

Welcome Gav!

 

There are far more knowledgeable here so I may be wrong, but first glance that looks a pretty decent deal - but I wonder if you can do better still. Even at launch, by getting quotes from carwow, broadspeed etc, we were getting c.15-18% off list price. There were several threads comparing who got what. (


Mileage - I have the same challenge, but again an earlier thread discussion suggested that much of the excess could be negotiated away when they try to get you into a new car.

 

 

They're both discussed in this thread:

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi chaps.

 

Checked Carwow and Broadspeed, discounts and offer are the same as Inchcape.

I initially didn’t look at the offer end date, salesman played dumb and hinted the offer may be finished by August. End of September suits me as I’m in the middle of a house move process. 

He alluded that if you wanted a car as soon as 7 days you can choose one from the pre-registered pool or can order fresh from the factory if you had particular requirements.

Certainly right, if they want a sale they can make the numbers work for high mileage and options!

Apology’s for hijacking the thread! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although some view as slightly unethical, you always have to option of voluntary termination (VT). Using this clause in your contract means you are not legally obliged to pay any excess mileage charges if you are over your mileage allowance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Back2Beemer said:

Although some view as slightly unethical, you always have to option of voluntary termination (VT). Using this clause in your contract means you are not legally obliged to pay any excess mileage charges if you are over your mileage allowance. 

 

I always wondered what impact that has in getting another finance deal with the same provided. VT a car financed by BMW FS and then get a new car through them as well. Surely an automatic rejection?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, sjak92 said:

 

I always wondered what impact that has in getting another finance deal with the same provided. VT a car financed by BMW FS and then get a new car through them as well. Surely an automatic rejection?

 

Not the case - it’s your right as a consumer to use the VT clause, so it can’t generate a “black mark” against your credit rating or anything. It will show against the agreement that it was voluntary termination, however won’t affect your rating. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Back2Beemer said:

 

Not the case - it’s your right as a consumer to use the VT clause, so it can’t generate a “black mark” against your credit rating or anything. It will show against the agreement that it was voluntary termination, however won’t affect your rating. 

True, but whilst it might not affect your formal credit rating, it'll likely still have an impact (as #sjak92 suggests) if you try to use the same credit provider again as they will have a more complete history internally.

Edited by Boba

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/17/2018 at 10:05 AM, Gavthegat said:

Hi Gents.

 

Joined the forum recently and been lurking in the shadows as considering a new 5 series. 

The deal that caught my eye is currently been run by Inchcape. Models covered are M Sport 520d/530d saloon and Touring. I’m looking at 530d Saloon at 0% Apr, £479 down and £479 per month (47 months), 8k miles a year.

Personally the mileage needs to be higher and and a few other options included.

 

Gav

 

Inchape (Cooper) are doing £399 deposit, £399 a month. To be fair unless they’re willing to clear any negative equity on mine which is probably around the £1,500 mark then I’ll stay in the F10. As I say jumping to another 520d isn’t really urging me to do it. Plus I’m halfway through a house move so now isn’t really an ideal time anyway. It’s a fair deal though to be honest. Although payment wise they’re offering very similar, if anything I want less monthlies. Again justifying putting money in is just a no go for me currently. I’ll pribably do better off waiting until this time next year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Further to that, I know of a couple of BMW dealers who promote VT to get people into another car. It certainly doesn’t put a black mark on your credit rating as said, it will put a note on your file with BMW FS, however if they’re getting another unit out of it, I can’t see them minding that much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Liam2594 said:

 

Inchape (Cooper) are doing £399 deposit, £399 a month. To be fair unless they’re willing to clear any negative equity on mine which is probably around the £1,500 mark then I’ll stay in the F10. As I say jumping to another 520d isn’t really urging me to do it. Plus I’m halfway through a house move so now isn’t really an ideal time anyway. It’s a fair deal though to be honest. Although payment wise they’re offering very similar, if anything I want less monthlies. Again justifying putting money in is just a no go for me currently. I’ll pribably do better off waiting until this time next year. 

 

But thats a basic car, no spec at all (even though G30 is generous in spec)

 

Id wait for next year, will probably be a software update to the new iDrive 7 and digital gauges. 2019 cars are already shipping with bezel less gauges so will be a software thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Liam2594 said:

Further to that, I know of a couple of BMW dealers who promote VT to get people into another car. It certainly doesn’t put a black mark on your credit rating as said, it will put a note on your file with BMW FS, however if they’re getting another unit out of it, I can’t see them minding that much. 

 

Correct. Creditors can’t really use it against you as it’s your rights as a consumer. The issue is when dealers are actively promoting the fact you can VT as a way of lessening monthly payments by selling lower mileage contract than people need, hence the “ethical” debate around people abusing the right to VT. 

Edited by Back2Beemer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want comfort and driving assistant packs in addition to the visibility and technology packs I have in my current G30 520d. I could try my luck with a new G30 with new sales 0% APR campaign to see whether the monthly payment is the same  However, I am 8000 miles above my contracted mileage.

I am seriously thinking of moving to Volvo S90 Inscription Pro or R design Pro. It is loaded with all available technologies in the most optioned G30 and might be the same or cheaper. I already have m240i for fun. My G30 is only for travelling which I do a lot 

Edited by Babaikram

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like my chance of moving to a G30 is being scuppered. Currently in a company car and my fleet manager has pointed out I can’t return it until the lease is up (December 2019!). I’ll keep working on returning it, I’ve a few cards to play to opt out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, sjak92 said:

 

But thats a basic car, no spec at all (even though G30 is generous in spec)

 

Id wait for next year, will probably be a software update to the new iDrive 7 and digital gauges. 2019 cars are already shipping with bezel less gauges so will be a software thing. 

 

True, that is for a base spec M Sport albeit as said they’re generous on the G30 compared to the F10. That’s another thing I was thinking, i-Drive 7 is bound to find its way into a G30 pretty soon. I said when I got the F10 I’ll probably be perfectly timed for an LCI G30. 

 

Just see at the moment with WLTP looming from September, the deals are going to be better now than they’re going to be for a long time. (On this though the G30 is WLTP compliant though no? So my point my be completely invalid :D)

 

22 minutes ago, Babaikram said:

I want comfort and driving assistant packs in addition to the visibility and technology packs I have in my current G30 520d. I could try my luck with a new G30 with new sales 0% APR campaign to see whether the monthly payment is the same  However, I am 8000 miles above my contracted mileage.

I am seriously thinking of moving to Volvo S90 Inscription Pro or R design Pro. It is loaded with all available technologies in the most optioned G30 and might be the same or cheaper. I already have m240i for fun. My G30 is only for travelling which I do a lot 

 

Exactly I would want as a minimum M Sport Plus & Comfort pack, which on a 0% APR is around £21 per £1,000 which then pushes it to what I deem silly amounts of money. I keep seeing S90’s about and think what a cracking looking car, and the interior is stunning. However I know full well I’d regret it every time I got into a BMW, had a brief spell with an Audi and had exactly that. 

Edited by Liam2594

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is unlikely I would leave BMW completely. I currently have another BMW and hopefully in 4 years time move to an M car (a dream). I want a a second car that is very comfortable that  I would have paid off by then  so that I would not have to be paying for 2 cars. 

Edited by Babaikram

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Babaikram said:

It is unlikely I would leave BMW completely. I currently have another BMW and hopefully in 4 years time move to an M car (a dream). I want a a second car that is very comfortable that  I would have paid off by then  so that I would not have to be paying for 2 cars. 

 

True, I suppose an M240i puts plenty of smiles on your face. I know from having a couple of weeks in an M140i such a cracking car. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×