Liam2594

G30 520d vs F10?

On 7/19/2018 at 8:02 PM, Babaikram said:

I want comfort and driving assistant packs in addition to the visibility and technology packs I have in my current G30 520d. I could try my luck with a new G30 with new sales 0% APR campaign to see whether the monthly payment is the same  However, I am 8000 miles above my contracted mileage.

I am seriously thinking of moving to Volvo S90 Inscription Pro or R design Pro. It is loaded with all available technologies in the most optioned G30 and might be the same or cheaper. I already have m240i for fun. My G30 is only for travelling which I do a lot 

I was VERY tempted by an S90 Inscription, and I do miss some of the equipment that my previous car had that the Volvo would have had and my 5 series doesn’t. That said, I absolutely love my 5 and was willing to sacrifice some toys to have the car I really wanted. 

On 7/19/2018 at 10:14 PM, Liam2594 said:

True, I suppose an M240i puts plenty of smiles on your face. I know from having a couple of weeks in an M140i such a cracking car. 

It does. It is not as luxurious as G30 (G30 is by far more luxurious)  but boy m240i is fast and sounds so nice with pops and crackles with the M Performance exhaust. I hardly drive my G30 on a daily basis now but use it for travelling which I do a lot. I am pinning for more comfort with driving assist when travelling , my age is beginning to tell. 

10 hours ago, Babaikram said:

It does. It is not as luxurious as G30 (G30 is by far more luxurious)  but boy m240i is fast and sounds so nice with pops and crackles with the M Performance exhaust. I hardly drive my G30 on a daily basis now but use it for travelling which I do a lot. I am pinning for more comfort with driving assist when travelling , my age is beginning to tell. 

To be honest we did considering changing the F10 for an M140i, however we ended up valuing the extra space and the comfort when travelling. Although there’s still a fair few occasions when you sit there and think, if I was in a M140i right now… they’re a cracking car and not exactly terrible in fuel if you stick to the speed limits. 

12 hours ago, Back2Beemer said:

I was VERY tempted by an S90 Inscription, and I do miss some of the equipment that my previous car had that the Volvo would have had and my 5 series doesn’t. That said, I absolutely love my 5 and was willing to sacrifice some toys to have the car I really wanted. 

One of my colleagues has an S90 and it's interior is leagues ahead of my G31 even with a few grands worth of extras (comfort + nappa), really cheap pcp deal too. But I wanted a new 540i, not sure I made the right decision, but it's not a bad place to be whilst I make my mind up.

I understand 540i has the performance going for it but 520d apart from being BMW and probably slight better dynamics I cannot think of its edge above S90. Decision Decision.......

2 hours ago, Babaikram said:

I understand 540i has the performance going for it but 520d apart from being BMW and probably slight better dynamics I cannot think of its edge above S90. Decision Decision.......

Definitely the I-drive system - don’t particularly like the fact the Volvo is touch screen only, but other than that I’d probably agree!

7 minutes ago, SuperDave said:

The guy they pinched from Bentley to run volvo's interior design has done a fab job!

He has but when all is said and done it will always be a Volvo - no comparison IMO ......

I have gone to examine S90 properly again, I have not test driven yet. To be sincere on closer examination, the opinion of my family and myself is that it is still a step down below G30 in terms of the interior ambience and elegance. My wife says the S90 rear view is particularly ugly. 

Edited by Babaikram

9 hours ago, Babaikram said:

I have gone to examine S90 properly again, I have not test driven yet. To be sincere on closer examination, the opinion of my family and myself is that it is still a step down below G30 in terms of the interior ambience and elegance. My wife says the S90 rear view is particularly ugly. 

More Importantly, the S90's residuals are appalling. 

I think its a great car, and the XC90 is class leading IMO, however, they are both priced pretty much the same as their German counterparts (only about £600/£700) difference between a base 5 series diesel and S90 diesel. But, a less than year old S90 in top trim level can be gotten for under £25k? They are superb value second hand (especially as Volvo often does 0% APR deal on USED cars - brilliant concept) but i dont think I would risk one new. The monthly payments would be high or youd almost always risk being in negative equity upon return. 

And yes, the rear of the S90 is a bit Marmite. I think it looks OK in that rip off version of Estoril Blue but the V90 is a very handsome car indeed. 

36 minutes ago, sjak92 said:

More Importantly, the S90's residuals are appalling. 

I think its a great car, and the XC90 is class leading IMO, however, they are both priced pretty much the same as their German counterparts (only about £600/£700) difference between a base 5 series diesel and S90 diesel. But, a less than year old S90 in top trim level can be gotten for under £25k? They are superb value second hand (especially as Volvo often does 0% APR deal on USED cars - brilliant concept) but i dont think I would risk one new. The monthly payments would be high or youd almost always risk being in negative equity upon return. 

And yes, the rear of the S90 is a bit Marmite. I think it looks OK in that rip off version of Estoril Blue but the V90 is a very handsome car indeed. 

I think the PCP deals are actually pretty good on S90s, I imagine most people will buy them that way.

My offer on the G30 expired, interest rate is now 2.9% and payments would be more monthly. No brainer really to wait until the next special comes along. 

6 hours ago, Babaikram said:

It will surely come back

I would’ve thought so, we’re 90% if the way through a house move to be honest, so anything now would’ve just been too difficult anyway. I certainly was tempted though.