Dotcom1970

Continuing saga of fumes in the cabin

So things I have checked/replaced:

• Exhaust Manifold
  • Exhaust Flexi
  • All head bolts torqued correctly
  • Intercooler Pipes attached correctly
  • CCV replaced

Basically, there are no fumes from the engine end, so the culprit must be at the rear, but where?

I know there are two flaps either side to allow the boot to shut properly. Only be able to check one, which appears ok, but without removing the battery and/or whole rear bumper can't get to the other.

The tailgate edge rubbers all look intact (as do those on the front and rear doors)

I'm wondering if at some point the car has had a bash at the rear end, as the drivers side rear bumper edge does look as if it's been resprayed and doesn't quite fit flush.

I'm thinking the only real way to check is to get the rear bumper removed and have a proper look at the bodywork underneath and ensure all the sealing plugs etc are intact.

Anything else I might have missed?

When I went leak hunting (with a cold engine) I used soapy water in a spray can and found the turbo to DPF gasket was leaking. Boot wise make sure no ones removed the vent behind the bumper and check if it is there and sealing?

A jet wash helps, climb in the boot and have someone spray around the car while you look for water ingress.

Rear bumper only takes a few mins to remove but you ideally need two people.

First I'd be rechecking all the joints as Gonzo says. The manifold to Cat gasket, the flexi clamp to exhaust pipe, the DPF gaskets. A tiny hole makes a noticeable smell.

19 minutes ago, JasonH said:

Rear bumper only takes a few mins to remove but you ideally need two people.

First I'd be rechecking all the joints as Gonzo says. The manifold to Cat gasket, the flexi clamp to exhaust pipe, the DPF gaskets. A tiny hole makes a noticeable smell.

Those have all been checked and double checked :)

What have you actually replaced?

Yours is one of the 530d's known for cracked exhaust manifolds. They used to fail every 90k miles and the cracks were subtle.

I had an occasional whiff of exhaust. It turned out to be a tiny split in the flexi which I couldn't see for at least a year.

2 minutes ago, JasonH said:

What have you actually replaced?

Yours is one of the 530d's known for cracked exhaust manifolds. They used to fail every 90k miles and the cracks were subtle.

I had an occasional whiff of exhaust. It turned out to be a tiny split in the flexi which I couldn't see for at least a year.

Replaced both the manifold and removed the cat and fitted a bypass.

Fair enough!!

Be careful hosing the back of the car to look for points of ingress. A hose pointed upwards under the rear bumper can open the flaps in the vents in the boot and fill the boot with water...ask me how I know!

11 hours ago, Dotcom1970 said:

I know there are two flaps either side to allow the boot to shut properly. Only be able to check one, which appears ok, but without removing the battery and/or whole rear bumper can't get to the other.

You can get to these without removing anything (the internal ones located in the boot).  Lift up the boot floor and they are on either side, as you mention one on the battery side and the straight opposite too. All you need to do is be able to get to the plastic tips on top and they come out fairly easy. I replaced mine last year as i had a failed one which flooded the boot floor. 

Edited by dj1233

3 hours ago, SuperDave said:

Have you  checked your egr inlet pipe? 

Yes, the whole pipe was removed and reattached due to an oil leak where the lower hose connects to the hard pipe.