Correct!  You do not have to be an MP to be Prime Minister.

But you would have to go way back to one Robert Gascoyne- Cecil who was only a member of the House of Lords and served as Prime Minister from 1895-1902.  Alec Douglas - Home was Prime Minister in 1963 for just a year whilst in the Lords only, but later renounced his peerage and became an MP.   (I'm not a smart arse, but the internet is. What a wonderful thing).

Edited by oldjohnny

Not sure which of May's proposals she has reversed today :) she doesnt even seem to get enough support for a vote of no confidence.  I think she is simply working the wrong way round. She needs to get a deal that will make it worth staying in. And it must satisfy those who voted to leave. 

5 hours ago, oldjohnny said:

Correct!  You do not have to be an MP to be Prime Minister.

But you would have to go way back to one Robert Gascoyne- Cecil who was only a member of the House of Lords and served as Prime Minister from 1895-1902.  Alec Douglas - Home was Prime Minister in 1963 for just a year whilst in the Lords only, but later renounced his peerage and became an MP.   (I'm not a smart arse, but the internet is. What a wonderful thing).

I knew about Robert Gascoyne- Cecil.  I didn't know about Alec Douglas.  

1 hour ago, whiskychaser said:

Not sure which of May's proposals she has reversed today :) she doesnt even seem to get enough support for a vote of no confidence.  I think she is simply working the wrong way round. She needs to get a deal that will make it worth staying in. And it must satisfy those who voted to leave. 

Somehow when I think she is down - she bounces up and wins the vote.  If she lost the customs vote today - it could have meant a General Election.  

I imagine that threatened with a GE if it was approved , pro-eu tories basically put their party and being in power ahead of what they believed was best for the county. Politics eh. 

Suprised we haven't heard from Boris yet. 

The Brexit department a.k.a David Davis said that there has been a lot of work behind the scenes of a No Deal.  However Davis didn't want the media or the EU to know.

However tomorrow Junker will apparently say to EU members to be more prepared for a No Deal

Interesting few days ahead before the summer holidays 

22 minutes ago, SuperDave said:

I imagine that threatened with a GE if it was approved ,

Politics eh.  

I do think that is true about the General Election - what a weak Government where the PM needs to threaten her party with that. 

I am also looking forward to Brexit being over so I can stop arguing with fellow BMW enthusiasts 

Edited by nealpina
iPhone typo

I’m not sure why you have provided the above link. 

The £ is just under what it was against the $ before the referendum.  Thankfully the markets cares about $ more than the €

It was said the £ was 15% overvalued before the referendum.  It has been about 15% undervalued since the referendum against the €.

Edit:  £ has fluctuate from 1.08 to 1.25 but has stayed at about 1.13 for several months against the €

Edited by nealpina

1 hour ago, nealpina said:

The £ is just under what it was against the $ before the referendum.  Thankfully the markets cares about $ more than the €

Not really, no... it was at $1.48 prior to the vote, its now at $1.31. Yes there have been occasions when it has climbed back to near 1.40 but that's only been when markets were optimistic about it being a soft brexit so its hardly a rallying cry for Leave voters when it goes up if you care what the markets think. A no deal scenario has currency traders betting that it will go some way lower still.

Of course a lower pound could help our exports, as long as you're not importing the raw materials or parts for assembly from elsewhere and facing higher prices due to fx rates and then having to manage the customs processes and delays that might go with that (ive personally dealt with importing hardware from South africa a few times, what an absolute ballache that was! )