I think you may be surprised at the result of any re-run..  This topic is never far away in my locality and I can tell you that attitudes here, (majority of remain voters originally including myself)  have hardened considerably, due in no small way to the contemptuous arrogance continually being displayed by Jean-Claude Junker, Michel Barnier and Co.   Regardless of what we propose, they will continue to mock it, screw us into the ground and extract every last cent/penny they can, which in my opinion is top of their list.

We may not be the world power we were in the past but I am no less British now, and despair of the cap in hand approach we seem to have adopted in these negotiations.  Time to stand up and state clearly that this is the way it is.  Negotiate by all means but if not then WE Will walk away.   As you may have guessed I am now firmly in the Brexit camp.

That has been the problem we cared about the losing side.  The Government should have said to the remainers you lost and get behind the country, and the side that won by an extra of 1,268,501 votes.  

No I don’t agree it should be cross party because most MPs are reaminers therefore are bias.  Also when a few friends and I went to a public meeting during the referendum debate and Keir Starmer hosted it.  He was completely useless to satisfy our answers. It would also mean debating with Sturgeon she is more bothered about Independence than what is in her own doorstep - meaning the Govanhill Roma scandal.

I don’t think the EU ever wanted a deal with us, but European members do.  Also there is a chance we could have a no deal. The deal will need to put through parliament. May will need the support of the opposition because the Brextieers will not support it.  For any PM to seek opposition votes is a sign of desperation and likely to fail.  The withdrawal bill act will be passed through and therefore we will be leaving with or without a deal on 29 March 2019.   

Edited by nealpina

35 minutes ago, oldjohnny said:

I think you may be surprised at the result of any re-run..  This topic is never far away in my locality and I can tell you that attitudes here, (majority of remain voters originally including myself)  have hardened considerably, due in no small way to the contemptuous arrogance continually being displayed by Jean-Claude Junker, Michel Barnier and Co.  

Agreed.  Most (not all) poll after poll it shows if there was another vote, leave will win by a bigger margin. 

Edited by nealpina

1 hour ago, duncan-uk said:

I wonder what result a mandatory turn out would have given and how many people would vote differently in light of where we are?

On such a major issue as this it should have been mandatory to vote. Weren't there something like 13,000,000 who didn't vote? I may be wrong (it has been known :lol:), but my guess is that a large percentage of those who didn't vote felt comfortable that the outcome would be to remain and therefore stayed at home tidying their sock drawer.

Edited by pidgeonpost

On the other hand, ( 5 fingers and a thumb )  the non participants could equally have been brexit type chappies who though there was very little chance of it happening and didn't bother voting.

And on the other hand (hehe) perhaps those 13m people understood that they weren't qualified to make a decision based on all the info (lies both sides) and so decided to abstain..

Imagine what we would be saying if it were the French who were leaving instead of us: 'You can't have your gateau and eat it' and 'On your vélo ' spring to mind. So it is hardly surprising that the rest of Europe says 'it is your mess, you sort it'. Even Trump has the nerve to say we are 'in turmoil'.

2 minutes ago, whiskychaser said:

Imagine what we would be saying if it were the French who were leaving instead of us: 'You can't have your gateau and eat it' and 'On your vélo ' spring to mind. So it is hardly surprising that the rest of Europe says 'it is your mess, you sort it'. Even Trump has the nerve to say we are 'in turmoil'.

It is the UKs mess. The EU are hardly likely to do any favours as a third party. Why would they, as UK becomes a supplier/vendor/competitor.

I live in hope that when push comes to shove that the really big businesses in Europe will apply pressure for a sensible soloution if seriously adverse decisions may be seen to threaten their operations.   In the end it will be finances all round that will decide the final result.  A hard Brexit would leave us going into the unknown but make no mistake, it is a two way street.  A mutually beneficial outcome is the only hope for all.

'If at first you don't succeed, try try try again' should apply in all of these discussions.

(This advice does not apply to sky diving). :shock::shock:

Edited by oldjohnny

8 hours ago, oldjohnny said:

I think you may be surprised at the result of any re-run..  This topic is never far away in my locality and I can tell you that attitudes here, (majority of remain voters originally including myself)  have hardened considerably, due in no small way to the contemptuous arrogance continually being displayed by Jean-Claude Junker, Michel Barnier and Co.   Regardless of what we propose, they will continue to mock it, screw us into the ground and extract every last cent/penny they can, which in my opinion is top of their list.

Do you think we would have been any different if another member wanted to leave instead of us? The EU has a responsibility to its members to get the best deal they can for them. This is our mess to deal with, you can’t blame anyone else. 

I don't imagine anyone realistically expected us to get the same terms when we are outside the EU as we do in it. The trade off was that we would get control of immigration and sovereignty. But from what I can see, Mrs May intends to concede on both points. And we get no shout on how things are run. That doesn't sound a lot like the best deal for Britain to me. I must be missing something 

Our mate Trump looks like killing a UK/US deal if we opt for soft Brexit. Having watched the programme about him last night, I hope HRH has the silver locked away

A trade deal with the US would be disastrous for standards here, especially in the food sector. 

A deal with with the EU is a lot more important than a deal with the USA. 

He is definitely well named.  

TRUMP  : to get the better of: OVERRIDE.

Where ambition invariable TRUMPS loyalty.   (Michael Kramer)

I have suddenly realised what his hair style resembles.  It' a back-combed wheatabix!

1 minute ago, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

Can anyone, for a second, imagine Mrs Thatcher taking this kind of shit from the EU? 

They'd have been politely told to fuck off in the first round of negs.

That’s the problem. We don’t have a Maggie. 

I'd agree with that. All Barnier/the other bloke is doing is going in hard. He knows he needs to go back to many many countries MEP's and argue what's best for everyone. Are they going to agree? Like every single debate in the EU parliament nothing is ever agreed on. Just proof read and batted Futher up the ranks. 

I don't mind stating that I voted leave. For the sole reason I don't like the "democratic" process the EU holds. In leaving it has just pointed out exactly the reason why I wanted to leave. Life will exist after. 

The only example I can think off ATM is one my father told me. He wasn't in any EU summits, but rather NATO conferences. (Fairly comparable) Sitting in a room full of the top brass under orders from there own governments, no one ever, ever agreed on anything. Nothing was done. Occasionally, just occasionally, they agreed on somthing that they didn't want to do. It surprises me not then that we are in this situation as getting the EU to act on somthing is near impossible. "De-nitting" our laws out of theirs will take a life time. The EU bureaucrats was always going to drag their heels. Simply putting a remainer in charge ain't going to solve this. You need a maggie. One that doesn't mind speaking up. 

15 minutes ago, WickRatson said:

I have to admit, I hate no one more than hunt and gove. The only shining light to the situation is that he can destroy the NHS anymore than he already has. 

Presumably you mean CANT. And I wouldn't count on that. The NHS has a long way to fall if they wanted it to.