stu08

Face-lift Indicator Loom Connector Block

Good evening all, 

I have a feeling the previous owner of my car cut off the original indicator connector blocks (which plug into the indicator lamp socket on the rear of the headlights), when fitting a set of face-lift style angel eyes. 

Please see photos below. My car is a preface lift model. The connector block has been supplied direct from BMW using my reg, so have no reason to believe BMW have supplied the wrong one.

The issue I have is:

I have a brand new pair of Hella headlights for my car (Amber indicator cover non-angel eye). The indicator connector block on the headlamp loom will not fit the lamp socket on the rear of the headlight. Hence me wondering if the loom has been modified. 

Photo 1 shows the connector block on my car and the connector block BMW suggest should be fitted. 

Photo 2 shows the connector block not fitting the indicator lamp socket which plugs into the rear of the headlight. 

Thanks for any help. 

Stu 

_20180708_201427.JPG

_20180708_201600.JPG

I was actually meant to ask....... 

Can someone with a face-lift car check to see what the indicator connector block looks like? According to BMW the face-lift version has a different part number..... 

So which one isn't fitting? Those connectors are virtually the same except that the blue one is universal which should fit every similar style male connector. The white one has slightly different grooved partion preventing it to be connected to wrong corresponding connector.

Edited by Clavurion

58 minutes ago, Clavurion said:

So which one isn't fitting? Those connectors are virtually the same except that the blue one is universal which should fit every similar style male connector. The white one has slightly different grooved partion preventing it to be connected to wrong corresponding connector.

The white one is attached to the car, that's the one which isn't fitting. 

I bought the blue connector to see if there was any difference as they were relatively cheap, and wanted to see them side by side. The blue connector does fit into the lamp socket. 

You can mod the original plug or connector on indicator so that the groove sits on the slot or the removed slot doesn't prevent inserting. Another alternative is to take the plug connector apart back up the pins and insert them into that universal version.

Edited by Clavurion

6 minutes ago, Clavurion said:

You can mod the original plug or connector on indicator so that the groove sits on the slot or the removed slot doesn't prevent inserting. Another alternative is to take the plug connector apart back up the pins and insert them into that universal version.

I have ordered the 8 wires with grommets to fit the connector block. I think I'll cut the wires out and solder in the correct ones for the preface lift connector and return it back to the way it left the factory. 

9 hours ago, Clavurion said:

Well I don't see much point in that so you could use the factory original connectors and adapters instead of those wires with just a new or modded plug housing.

Unfortunately some of the soldering work which I can see isn't great (wires soldered on for angel eye connection) so want to get it redone anyway. May as well use the opportunity to fit the right connectors too. 

The plug connector with 4 wires in your photos isn’t for the indicator, it’s for the headlight range adjuster - the plugs are very similar.

The indicator wiring comes out of the main loom separately right down in the inner wing right near the indicator - the rest of the headlight wiring all comes out of the main loom together behind the middle of the headlight.

Here’s a couple of photos of my pre facelift indicator wiring plug with facelift adapter wiring fitted.

6F880EF2-EE45-41B1-85F2-BFE6EDDE3BFF.jpeg

99B0A734-E066-4E32-861C-514799AB6380.jpeg

Also, I can’t tell from your photos, but it looks like the black and white wires are soldered into the parking light wiring - I’d just desolder them and then reinsulate the wires.

Ah right! 

So the previous owner has fitted the face-lift indicator connector on the side wing loom. That's where the blue connector block should go? 

6 minutes ago, stu08 said:

Ah right! 

So the previous owner has fitted the face-lift indicator connector on the side wing loom. That's where the blue connector block should go? 

Yes

3 hours ago, Rosie said:

Yes

So I understand better. The face-lift adaptor wiring you have fitted won't be present on mine? I will simply have the loom to the blue indicator connector block, and that'll plug into the rear of the lamp socket. 

Whereas yours has the extra connection in the middle to convert to a face-lift connector block (the black block in your photo)? 

I'm confused to be honest. That blue connector plugs straight into the rear of the indicator lamp socket. According to BMW that blue connector is for the indicator. I'll check realoem quickly. 

7 hours ago, stu08 said:

So I understand better. The face-lift adaptor wiring you have fitted won't be present on mine? I will simply have the loom to the blue indicator connector block, and that'll plug into the rear of the lamp socket. 

Whereas yours has the extra connection in the middle to convert to a face-lift connector block (the black block in your photo)? 

Yes.

The previous owner has cut the original indicator wiring plug off and connected a facelift indicator plug.

You want to go back to original prefacelift so you need to cut off the facelift plug and fit the plug you bought. (Which is blue - which means it is uncoded and will fit any 4 pin connector of that shape - for example the range adjusters as well as prefacelift indicators)