Sign in to follow this  
d_a_n1979

Looking for some advice from those in the know - E60 550i / E65 750i / E65 730D

I'm toying with one of the above as my replacement car, but wanted to hear from those in the know on these motors and whether I'm risking it with any of them

I haven't taken either a 550i or 750i out for a drive yet, none are that local to me. But have driven a facelift 08 E65 730D and it's a lovely car and pulls like a train, plus you've got the 7 build quality too! They really are, IMO, chalk and cheese to an E61/E61 build

I'd love a big V8 and there are a few 550i and 750i motors out there; but there are also a lot of horror stories re the N62s and it's issues with valve stem oil seals, oil leaks, plastic top end warping and gaskets leaking etc... These do cause concerns!

But then again; you get that V8 burble and a car that's fairly rare on our roads!

There are a few 730Ds that I'm interested in, all with the spec I want and they're the facelift car too (06 onwards); plus with Mark on her (mashedpotatoes) I've got a guy local enough that I can leave it with him to do the necessaries (swirl flaps, EGR/DPF etc) and get it re-mapped too ;) 

There's a few 750i's that are of interest to me too, one in particular that's been very well looked after and the seller has sent me masses of pictures, he's just going to get a few bits sorted this week (aircon re-gas etc)

There's also a few E60/E61 550i's for sale too, 2 of them are very much of interest to me, but higher miles (c140k) and not sure if I'd be walking into issues with them at those miles!

So; what are your thoughts and what's your advice?

Cheers :) 

MPG has no concerns to me as I do roughly 3-5k miles a year; if that sometimes!

But the car will get driven hard often enough up / down the M6 on the way to training & back etc, so it'll let the engine open up and warm up to running temps etc :) 

I am wavering to the E65 big 7; just something about the build and waftability they have ;) 

15 minutes ago, jake13 said:

E66 760. It will already be loaded with options as standard and the N73 V12 will put a smile on your face.

None around for the budget I'm prepared to pay; that's why I listed the 3 cars above and no others... 

55 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201806167550425

Love that. Facelift, got the right wheels and seems to be fully loaded too!

I've got that saved in my favourites. It's another black car though and I was trying to stay away from black :roll: :lol: 

Now that's a nice looking 7...

And, five thousand quid???!! Jeez...

Edited by Loadmaster

7 minutes ago, Loadmaster said:

Now that's a nice looking 7...

And, five thousand quid???!! Jeez...

It was an absolute dog inside and out

Smoke billowing from the oil filler cap; whilst the oil filler cap was on, tight :lol:

Bonnet opening mech was on the verge of breaking too... Wouldn't have given him £3k for it

I laughed and walked away!

Edited by d_a_n1979

16 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

It was an absolute dog inside and out

Smoke billowing from the oil filler cap; whilst the oil filler cap was on, tight :lol:

Bonnet opening mech was on the verge of breaking too... Wouldn't have given him £3k for it

I laughed and walked away!

Oh, you actually viewed it?! How far away from you was it?

Real shame, looked the nuts.

46 minutes ago, Loadmaster said:

Oh, you actually viewed it?! How far away from you was it?

Real shame, looked the nuts.

About 25mins away, not far at all

You should consider the V12; a decent level of toys and the nice ones have all the toys; the engine is better and far more powerful and reliable than the V8's and everyman should own a V12 sometime shouldn't they...

If you want a V8 that burbles you won't find it with a blue and white propeller on its nose.

Mine didn't burble, as its German its too refined.

Burble from a V8 = Landrover (about an a par reliability with an N62!) or something from 'Murica.

Mine did emit a proper bellow on full chat, but on full chat the gearbox may just wimp out on you in an E60/1/3/4/5......

My e39 535i with a custom stainless exhaust had a lovely burble, with the standard exhaust you had to look at the rev counter to check if the engine was actually running! The standard exhaust on my M5 sounded like the custom system on the 535i interestingly.

And I may have slightly 'modified' the exhaust on the current 540i and whilst not that burbly it certainly has presence.

Edited by NWJW

1 hour ago, NWJW said:

with the standard exhaust you had to look at the rev counter to check if the engine was actually running! .

This!  Mine was too quiet, my only complaint with my E60

....apart from the oil leaks and valve stem oil seals and the secondary air system fault......

20 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

This!  Mine was too quiet, my only complaint with my E60

....apart from the oil leaks and valve stem oil seals and the secondary air system fault......

And that’s why I went for a 730D!

2 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Also coz you’re a minge bag! 

Don’t forget that! ;) :P 

2 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

If you want a V8 that burbles you won't find it with a blue and white propeller on its nose.

Mine didn't burble, as its German its too refined.

Burble from a V8 = Landrover (about an a par reliability with an N62!) or something from 'Murica.

Mine did emit a proper bellow on full chat, but on full chat the gearbox may just wimp out on you in an E60/1/3/4/5......

The Alpina V8 engines have a lovely burble and a blue and white propellor...

8 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Boo, Diesel, boo....won't give you any oil leaks but it will give you cancer.:P

V8 Diesel though.....hmmmmmm who does one of them.....Caterpillar, Perkins, Man?

13 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

V8 Diesel though.....hmmmmmm who does one of them.....Caterpillar, Perkins, Man?

Audi have V8 diesels available in the A8, and VW have the V10 diesel available in the earlier Touareg and Phaeton. 

I've been in the V10 Touareg and with a stage 1 map on they will light up all 4 wheels in the dry from a standstill if you just floor them. No way a house on wheels should move like that!

1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

Boo, Diesel, boo....won't give you any oil leaks but it will give you cancer.:P

Haha I know... Gone against everything I was saying; but it's so hard to find a decent spec with a 750i; there's not a lot out there and I didn't want an Li

There is one very well spec'd 750i for sale near to York; but he's after nearly £9k for it and I wasn't prepared to spend that. My budget at tops was £7.5/£8k, but it would have needed to be perfect for that

We've just spent a fortune on 3 fitted bedrooms, the decorator and carpets etc; I'm sick of draining my business to fund everything . :lol:

Time to replenish the coffers and play with this 730D for a while ;) 

3 minutes ago, Paddy O'Furniture said:

You can't beat a big Diesel,  you'll love all that torque,  especially when Mr Potatoes has worked his magic. 

Already love the torque! It picks up so well :mrgreen: 

It'll be much better once MP has done his work to it I'm sure ;) 

9 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Bmw put the M67 lump in the seven series for years, shame we never got it over here.....  :sad:

And any pictures of the new motor yet Dan?