Sign in to follow this  
McFar67

Not run flats on the new car

Surprised to read on the full spec for my new car that a tyre mobility kit is supplied and is on non run flat tyres. 

Thought bmw did not offer normal tyres. 

It was a pre- built car, hence the good deal, 17" rims. 

Plan on changing them at a later date. 

Edited by McFar67

On 7/8/2018 at 9:26 PM, Johnyboy said:

You can request non-runflats in the configurator.

The car is prebuilt Tbh, run flats are worse and most folk get rid. I was just surprised to see nrft on a bmw 5 new

Out of my BMW acquaintances I don't know anyone who has swapped from run flats to standard tubeless so I don't know about 'most' folk changing them.

Run flat's are much more compliant now than when they first appeared. Mine (on 19" rims) are at least as good as the standard tyres on 18" rims on my last car (Vauxhall).

The only real issue I have with run flats is the difficulty of finding a replacement conveniently if far from home on a long run. But against that, many repairers won't touch a tyre filled with sealant and there's the possibility of damaging the wheel electronics with the get-you-home fix. To say nothing of fiddling about in the dark on some wet night on the hard shoulder!  You takes your choice I suppose.

Most SE trim cars cars run normal tyres as a cost saving exercise. 

All M Sports will come with Run Flats and if you lease, need to be returned on RFT too. 

I changed to non RTF on my old F10. Excellent Kumho KU39's based on all reviews, completely spoiled the car, became wobbly in fast corners. I suppose M Sport suspensions are far better with RTF

Yep, you'll definitely notice the change in sidewall flex if you go with a softer non runflat. 

Ive previously had an 18" rimmed SE F10 with VDC and it rode very well on runflats however managed to split two oem rims over three years. I'd rather have a more flexible sidewall! 

Edited by SuperDave

On 7/9/2018 at 9:45 PM, McFar67 said:

The car is prebuilt Tbh, run flats are worse and most folk get rid. I was just surprised to see nrft on a bmw 5 new

Run flats are worse = no not these days.

Most folk get rid = do they? don’t believe that is true.

11 hours ago, BacktoBeemer said:

Run flats are worse = no not these days.

Most folk get rid = do they? don’t believe that is true.

+1

dont know anyone who's swapped.

I did on my F10, regretted it after 40 or so miles. Cornering at speed was dangerous. 

Good thing dealer bought the car back off of me soon after.