daviscup

Sidewall damage on runflat tyre

I've just noticed a rip in the sidewall of my Goodyear excellence runflat tyre. Obviously the tyre is toast, but I'm wondering what could have caused it? There is no visible damage to the rim. Any ideas? 

20180707_220422.jpg

I did hit a kinda big pothole last Saturday at the start of my holiday in Southern Ireland. It freaks me out to think I may have been driving around with this for the past week with my family on board. By the way I think the black mark is from the tyre dress my local car wash applied this morning.  The tyre only has a few thousand miles on it too. The joys of motoring :(

2 hours ago, SuperDave said:

Ditch the ruinflats before they also destroy your rims, suspension bushes, ride quality, grip and tyre noise! 

I am tempted to do just that. I was thinking of swapping out both fronts for non runflats, and selling the good runflat to recoup a few quid, and then changing the rears when they wear down. 

Be careful about mixing runflats and non runflats, even though different axles. Insurers can get a bit funny about it apparently. I even had a tyre fitting place refuse to to what you describe, for that reason.

Never really an issue with runflats. Looking at it though I think you may have had a bulge there, these tyres with low profiles hide bulges very well and are difficult to see when cool sometimes and only obvious after being driven for a decent distance.