stu08

Recommended Headunit E39

Good evening all, 

I'm rebuilding my centre console and need recommendations for a good quality headunit which won't require modifying to fit. 

Budget is around £300-£500.

Looking for:

- Android / Smartphone connectivity, Spotify, Google Maps, hands free etc. 

- No CD player needed 

- Largest screen possible with minimal amount of buttons 

- DAB

Basically I'm looking for something which I can connect my phone to, can throw the phone screen onto the headunit display (I.e. Google maps for sat nav etc). 

I either listen to Capital or Spotify hence not needing a CD player. 

I also am not keen on the flat double din plastic surrounds. If there is anything on the market which adds a bit of style or depth to the interior, and doesn't make the centre section look bland or empty then I'd appreciate links to that too. 

Recommendations appreciated. 

Stu 

Edited by stu08

On first glance at the requirements, i would say Alpine ILX-700, but it's not DAB enabled. the 702E46 is but its about £800ish depending where you buy it from. 

iOS12 allows you to use Waze in Apple CarPlay, but I still need to test that, Apple Maps is ok, but I don't use it enough to be able to give an opinion on it. 

Not sure if Spotify would work via CarPlay, but it has an Aux/USB so you should be able to use that as a source and play the Spotify from you're phone and possibly use the steering controls to change song/volume. potentially. 

Hope that helps. 

@DennisCooper any ideas? 

NF aka Deepan

I've been looking at the Pioneer SPH 230Dab, it looks good, has everything you need for a reasonable price. That's what I'll be going for when I decide to do it.

Hi,

Stu - There's only a few head unit's currently that are shallow depth and fully featured. in due course and with the arrival of 5G mobile networks, I think more shallow depth units will appear as more people ditch having CD's in the car. Getting all you mention in a head unit at £300 to £500 isn't quite possible as yet, perhaps in the future. I've personally been using the Parrot Asteroid Smart since it was released in 2013 and have been very happy. I had my iPod directly connected to it for all my favourite music tracks, so a quick scroll on the excellent display and I'd have my track playing. For digital radio, I thought for all but 5 minutes on getting a separate DAB unit and connecting it up. I quickly decided to not spend any more time/money/effort in that and instead went the easy route of using a free App on my phone called 'Tune IN'. I simply choose the station I want and use Bluetooth Audio streaming to the Parrot and voila! all the UK's big/main radio stations available along with the thousands of others! no antenna to install, no extra box, no extra wiring and no extra expense and fitting faff either! Since the Smart came out, Android Auto and Apple CarPlay have come out and looks like in the future all or most car audio head units will go this way - certainly from the premium brands. NF mentions the other choices that are more highly featured. The iLX-700 has been superseded now, but if you find one it's an absolutely fantastic unit ! Will you be adding an amplifier and upgrading the cabin speakers and perhaps adding a subwoofer? if so, when done modestly and with good quality products the results in sound quality and performance are fantastic! if you use through the OEM speakers, you'll only get a marginal increase in SQ. 

As for the aesthetic aspect, then you've seen my other 'coming soon' thread ! Just waiting on wrapping an aspect up with a contract supplier and I'll make an announcement asap! ;)

NF - There was that recent announcement from Apple that Waze will be 'allowed' to work on iOS so a nice option for many. There's also been a recent announcement from Apple that they'll completely overhaul Apple Maps so that it's a worthy offering from the company with the most cash in the bank ! So coming soon from them is the option for Apple users to use either preferred navigation app !

Qasimahmed,  that SPH-230 looks like an excellent unit indeed for the price of 'around' £400 or so! has all and more that Stu mentions he wants! However, it's not a shallow depth unit, so if you want it to fit flush, you'd need to modify the airbox which is extra expense or, use a 'tilt' type fascia meaning the airbox doesn't have to be modified but the unit is 'tilted' forward so the rear lower edge of it clears the top front edge of the airbox. Done properly and airbox modified with a fitting kit and fascia will perhaps add on another £400 or so to the SPH-230's price. 

Cheers, Dennis!

Bought this one in the end. Been out a week apparently and is a short body unit with everything I needed, such as DAB, Android connection etc. 

Thanks for the advice 

_20180710_124243.JPG

Hi Stu,

Looks like it's a very well specified and priced unit and 75mm shallow depth! design for the front is clean and uncluttered and I think those are touch sensitive controls so no physical protruding buttons. The price at around £400 is fantastic value for money with the features set that it has !

Get it into your car and let us know your thoughts :)

Cheers, Dennis!

5 hours ago, DennisCooper said:

Hi Stu,

Looks like it's a very well specified and priced unit and 75mm shallow depth! design for the front is clean and uncluttered and I think those are touch sensitive controls so no physical protruding buttons. The price at around £400 is fantastic value for money with the features set that it has !

Get it into your car and let us know your thoughts :)

Cheers, Dennis!

Thanks Dennis. 

I'm a complete novice when it comes to audio stuff. Am currently working out what else I need to fit this head unit. Once I've got it in I'll update you all. 

Highly recommend one of these from AudioTech Direct in N.Wales. They are excellent and it does everything you need and a lot more !

The customer service at ATD is superb. This is how it looks in my car. I bought the latest BM5839B Android 8 model which is not yet on

the web site, contact James if interested. I paid £289 with free delivery. Yes they are Chinese but I have 2 of them and I know of a few more

locally and no problems at all, very reliable and I love the OEM look. Huge improvement on the sound also. Simple to fit, plug & play with

the existing car connectors, no hassle, after struggling for an hour to get the OEM one out I had this in and working in 15 mins !  It also

fully integrates with the cars Canbus system.

https://audiotechdirect.com/pba-bm6839b-android-8-after-market-radio-for-bmw-e39-e53/

Nice fit into the dash.

20180501_170728.jpg

Custom start up screen

20180713_213657.jpg

Home screen

20180713_213546.jpg

Edited by Busterbvi